Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

My boat is back

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

My boat is back

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Alden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My boat is back

Hello

I just got my boat back from my friends house only to find that the mast and sails are destroyed . The deck was pretty worn out too because its quite old so i sanded it down and resprayed it. Now i need to make a lid/hatch made and get some new sails and a mast. Whats a good thing to make the mast from and must i just use ordinary sail-cloth for its sails? , the boat is 1,25 metres long which is about 50 inches i think.

Just thought I would show ya
Alden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16483.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	152278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27085.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	152279  
Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
ec12-1582

Default RE: My boat is back

Hi Alden,

I'm not sure if this boat belongs to any class, It looks like a 36/600 or IOM, but you state an LOA of 50 inches, or 1.25 meters, so I can't I.D> it. You might want to post this question and pictures on [link=http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/default.asp]RC Sailing[/link] but for the mast 3 suggestions come to mind. First is carbon fiber, second is a sailset grooved aluminum, or third, an airfoil shaped grooved mast. Check out AMYA.org, and go to the supplier page. Before you do, please get the boat identified. It will definetly help you in determining your needs.

As to sails, sail cloth is going to be extremy heavy (dacron) If you plan on making your own sails, (which is quite difficult to do properly) I would recomend Trispi or Icarex(toray). A better suggestion is to contact a sailmaker. You've got a really nice hull there, that looks to be a very high performance boat. Let a pro do it for you. It might cost around $120 u.s. , but you'll get a set of good sails that will really optimize the boat. Plus a sailmaker can help you determine the correct cut of the sail for the type of conditions your going to sail in.

Chris
Old 08-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Al Stein

Default RE: My boat is back

Hi Alden -- That's a very nice looking boat

I realise that you aren't from the US, but the AMYA has a couple of open design classes (also called developmental classes) -- one of those is the 36/600 class and another with very similar rules is the 50/800 class. 50/800s are built to maximum 50 inches length over all and 800 square inces sail area. They very often had near verticle bows like yours does so they could get as much waterline as possible into the same overall length. The class has been around virtually forever (certainly before the whatever popularity R/C enjoys) as the Marblehead class, and it shows up that way in older writings as well in places other than the US.

In addition to the suggestions already given, we often build mats and booms of spruce -- usually two pieces laminated together to help the finished spar stay sraight. Main sails are then attached to the mast by running a piece of braided wire down the back side of the mast, soldering it to the heads of a series of brass screws along the mast's length. The sail then has small dressmakers' hooks to attach it to the wire along the mast. It works very well and has very little weight. Aluminum arrow shafts are also used here for booms, sometimes with one size nested into another slightly larger size. They make nice light booms and, at least in the US, they're cheap.

For your sails, sailcloth comes in a lot of weights. I have ripstop nylon spinnaker cloth that's very lightweight (way less than an ounce per square yard). It comes in all the colors of the rainbow and is pretty inexpensive -- about US$10 a running yard -- and that's for 60 inch or greater width, so a yard would do a set of sails easily. I was also promised some very lightweight dacron sailcloth at about a third the price of nylon by a sailmaker, but that never materialized so I'm not sure whether she was just mistaken about it or what. Anyway, that might or might not exist.