Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba 9CHP radio for sailboat?

Hello,
    I am building the Victor models Soling right now and I'm in the market for a radio system. I'm allready into planes so I have a 9CHP and I was wondering if it would be better to buy the FM 75 MHZ module for $35.00 and a FM reciever and just use this radio which has dual rates, expotential, and other bells and whistles, or if I should buy another FM radio ( such as the Hitec Ranger 3) and live without the perks of the 9CHP. I do plan on putting a modified Hitec 715 sail servo (to get better than the 60 degree rotation).
    Has anyone EVER used the surface freq Futaba Module for their Futaba radios? Any suggestions why I should'nt go this route?

Thanks,

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba 9CHP radio for sailboat?

Tom,
    I think I'd go for the 75 Mhz module. Considering that you're already familiar with the Futaba, you already have it, and the cost of a different radio and receiver will probably be comparable. The 'Hitec' sail servo can be used anyway (just make sure you have it plugged in right). This also assumes that the 'module' works as claimed, which I know nothing about (free advice is sure easy, ain't it?).
    - 'Doc

PS - Using a different rigging scheme can get you more than 60 degrees of 'travel' from a 60 degree servo, by the way, but that's a different story.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba 9CHP radio for sailboat?

Thanks,
    I'm beginning to think that the 9CHP with module is the best way to go as well.

Tom