Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

SAIL Engineering winch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

SAIL Engineering winch

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:33 AM
unlimitedoceans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAIL Engineering winch

I recently inherited an EC-12 with Kraft electronics but no transmitter. Even so, the electronics are on the wrong freq. I need to buy a new TX/RX but am interested to find out if my SAIL Engineering winch can be used with modern receivers. Am trying to get in the water quick because my office has a bunch of RC Laser sailers that need to be shown the error or their ways. That's not to say that a RC Laser isn't a bunch of fun to sail and quite capable...I just want to show them that skill and grace can beat them.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 AM
ec12-1582

Default RE: SAIL Engineering winch

As an EC12er, I did not recognize the type of winch your using. If you have kraft electronics I'm assuming your have an early model of the EC12. You might want to post this question on the [link=http://www.ec12.com/discusion/default.asp]EC12 Discussion Forum[/link] Perhaps one of the long time 12'rs might recognize the winch your talking about. Currently folks are mostly using RMG, Futaba 5801's, Old FP-S10's and Hitec 725BB Drum Winches. There are still a few probar and dumas arm types out there.

By the way, don't expect your 12 to outperform a Laser. The Laser is a planing hull boat that is pretty quick. The 12, well it's a full keel boat, and handles like it. Graceful, elegant, and hard to master, but not a speed demon. At around 23lbs, she give up a lot in displacement to sail area ratio, and has a much higher wetted surface area with less righting moment than a the Laser with her long deep fin.

Chris
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 PM
unlimitedoceans

Chris, I appreciate your reply. I will try the other forum as well. Yes, it is an older boat named Carnaval but it has no numbers. The sail servo is a swing arm that says SAIL Engineering Proportional and it is...ahem...large....very large...and NO ONE appears to remember them.

With regards to RC Lasers in my office...a large part of my confidence in my ability to beat them lies in their skills. I've been a sailor my entire life..am actually a merchant mariner by trade even. In all reality, I will eventually need to buy a Laser to compete as their skills improve. I am quite impressed with the Laser and actually managed to lap them with a borrowed boat at our first "regatta." That won't last for long. Displacement V. planing is a huge difference as is the EC-12 weather helm and weight. There is a lot to be said for boat handling though!

Thanks again,

Tom
Richmod, TX
Old 08-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Larry Ludwig

Wow... I have not heard that name in a long time. Sail Engineering... if I remember correctly was made back in the mid to late `70's. It is a monster and has MORE than enough power. Unfortunately a lot of weight goes with it... and the ones I remember were not propotional.

Hard to say what you are going to want to do with it. Since you are replacing the radio anyway.. heheheh... it would be a good idea to upgrade your winch to something more modern... I know it costs.... but in the long run it will be to your advantage. I would be interested to know if you can find any markings in the hull as to who the manufacture was.

If you are just going to drive it around, then I guess stay with what you have handy and cheap.

Good Luck with it.

Larry
Old 08-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Al Stein

Hi Tom --

I seem to remember the name Sail Engineering, too. The sail servo... is that the great big metal box with the single arm? If so, what we did was dissect one of those puppies and remounted the motor and geartrain from it in a custom-designed liteweight frame. That killed a lot of the weight. Thinking about it though, at the weight of these boats, you'd be carrying more dead weight than that anyway, it's just that the winch puts it up where it doesn't add to your stability.

These days the manufacturer is supposed to mark a hull number on each hull, but I don't know whether that's always been done or not. (In fact I was looking for some ID on a brand new hull this past weekend and although I'm sure it was there somewhere, I never found it.) Anyway, if you wanted to register your boat, since you know who bought it, the manfacturer may still know that he sold it. Since it's a proprietary class, that would be the way you'd probably have to go to show that the hull is class-legal. The hull that's in my family dates back to the early '70s and I remember that there were only a few manufacturers then -- same is true now. The EC12 class secretary or some other helpful type associated with the AMYA may be able to point you to the manufacturers of that era. Rod Carr, for instance, was very active in EC12 back then nad is still on the class roster as a helpful go-to guy. (He might have even been molding hulls for a time, but I can't remember for sure.)

As for the lasers, they being lightweight catboats I wouldn't be too surprised to see your 12 beet them in the right conditions. There's a lot to be said for things like stability and a jibs'l.