Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Another rc mariner question...

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Another rc mariner question...

Old 09-13-2004, 10:42 AM
modelrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rc mariner question...

I have one last question about the r/c mariner sailboat:
Is it possible to pull in and let out the sails?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 09:00 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Another rc mariner question...

modelrr,
Sure, it's done on almost every model sail boat. If you mean furling a sail (wrapping it up, sort of, stowing it), then that's not too common, and probably very difficult. Still possible though. A two channel boat uses one channel for the rudder and one for the 'sail winch', or sail servo.
- 'Doc
Old 09-14-2004, 03:06 PM
bt224

Default RE: Another rc mariner question...

The Mariner does not have radio controlled sails, something they avoid mentioning in the advertisements. It is a single channel system that controls the rudder only. Before I got my Fairwind, I just wanted a small "toy" RC sailboat to play around with when I couldn't get out to the lake, and really didn't want to spend much $$ on the deal. I almost bought a Mariner until I found out the sails are set before you launch, and cannot be adjusted under sail. At an average cost of $70-$80, the Mariner is no bargain. I'm sure there is a 2 channel boat out there under $100, but I couldn't find one. If you really want to do this, spend the extra money and get a decent boat. I bought my Fairwind complete for $75 on eBay. The guy thought the radio system was shot. I put new servos, TX and RX in the boat, but it turned out what was in there worked fine. I have seen others, complete and ready to go, for under $100, so they are out there if you have some patience and keep looking. The Mariner may be a great boat for what it is designed to do, but my personal opinion is that it is overpriced for what you actually get.