Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

6 Year Sailboat Project, Still Unfinish, w/pics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

6 Year Sailboat Project, Still Unfinish, w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 07:03 PM
rCexpert
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Year Sailboat Project, Still Unfinish, w/pics

What's up!

The title is kind of misleading. Anyway, below are the picture of my sailboat. The name is Bandit, M class, 50/800. I built this boat from the scratch. if you are professional sailboat builder, you know this boat is built by someone who knows nothing about sailboat.

I spent two years building this boat at my high school wood-shop during my Junior and Senior years. after high school, the boat just being sitting in the closet. Now, I am a Senior almost done with college. I want to finish this before my graduation.

The boat is planked with 1/8" cherry, the deck is made from mahogany. as you can see the boat is about 70% done, except for the rigging part. I am also going to refinish the hull.

As you can see I built the boat from a blueprint. Now I am stuck with what to do next.

Do you guys know where I can get a good rigging plan for the marblehead class sailboat? I flip through the amya website, and still hadn't find it.

I find a rigging plan at gbmy.com, but they one sell it with the fitting combo, I don't want to buy it because I already have most of the fitting.

would you guys recommend a sail winch for this boat, cheapest one possible, so I am extremely tight with my budget. or if you have a used one laying around, please sell it to me.

In regard to sails, should I make it myself? or should I buy one already made? I saw on ebay a sail making kit, sound goods.

by the way, the white stuff you see on the boat, it's dust.

any help is appreciated.
jay
[email protected]

Old 02-24-2005, 11:14 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6 Year Sailboat Project, Still Unfinish, w/pics

I bought the Sail making kit for R/C Sailboats from ebay. I am very happy with the kit.
It is high quality, and the instructions are easy to follow. I found the sail maker’s block easy to use. I highly recommend this kit if you want to make your own sails.

Attached Picture is the first sails I made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67069.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	234472  
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6 Year Sailboat Project, Still Unfinish, w/pics

Hello Jay,
First let me say what fine workmanship you have done with the Bandit. It looks like you got the plans from A.J. Fisher, right? I also noticed that you have a complete set of Fisher fittings and looking your well used plans there is a profile of the sail plan which would give you some information about mast height and what size to cut your sails to. The Bandit is a 1960's - 1970's design, probably adapted from the vane steered Marbleheads prior to radio control. The design is no longer competitive with current M Class rocket-ships but you should have fun sailing it anyway. Check out http://www.swcp.com/usvmyg/ for vintage boats similar to yours. You should also be familiar with the rules for the Marblehead (50-800) class for standards.

As far as the rig is concerned, the setup is pretty much standard regardless of the boat class. Go back to the AMYA web site and take a look at the pictures of the various classes. If that still has you stumped, go to the EC12 website at http://www.ec12.com and select the link to the building site. Although it is not your boat, there is extensive information on rig building that will help you. There is also information on http://www.proefrock.net/EC12Web/.

These two websites also contain extensive information on winches, however you don't need a high tech winch just to have fun. Futaba and Hitec offer winches that should fit the bill perfectly. Check the vendors list on the AMYA web site for information, http://www.amya.org/suppliers/suppliers_parts.html. I would probably recommend the Ozmun Design w-12 sailwinch. It's a swing arm type and offers the easiest method of sheeting. You didn't state if you had a radio but FYI, get one on the surface (75mhz) frequencies. Model airplane fliers use 72mhz. To be sailing near a flying site could be inviting disaster, not only in property damage but someone being injured or killed. It has happened!

Well, I hope I've offered enough information to help you on your way. Post a picture here when you get it on the water.

Mike