Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sanibel or Seawind for New Sailor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sanibel or Seawind for New Sailor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:31 PM
bart430

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanibel or Seawind for New Sailor

Hi, I am new to the forums and to RC sailboats. I am interested in buying a boat that I can maybe upgrade or at least race in the near future. I have read some of the other posts, and I was thinking about getting a smaller boat, but if I do and want another boat in 6 months, the wife will have something to say about that. I dont want to buy the cheapest or something that wont grow with me.

My brother has a Sanibel. and I like that fact that it has a fiberglass hull and serrvo winch.

The Seawind looks like a nice boat that will grow with my skills.

I looked at the Laser and I didnt like that fact that it had no jib.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Pecos45

Default RE: Sanibel or Seawind for New Sailor

Bart, I'm finishing up a Victoria and I chose this boat for the simple reason that there are a LOT of them around and almost all clubs race them, including the ones where I am. This guarantees lots of company and plenty of helpful advice.

However, I don't think a Vic satisfies very many people's desire for the "ultimate boat." The good news is it's cheap unless you start tricking it out.

I think another really good 1st boat would be the Victor Model "Soling 1 Meter." Many clubs also use this as their base class. It's bigger in everyway than the Victoria and ultimately cheaper to build as you cannot legally "trick out" a Soling. It's a very restricted boat. And by all accounts I've read, it's a mighty good, very dependable sailor although probably not as fast in some winds as some of the other 1 meter boats.

This will likely be my 2nd boat.

I think bigger is generally better in rc sailboats simply because they are easier to see and have more realistic characteristics.

Anyway, have fun making up your mind but do check into local clubs and see what they are sailing. Consider the winds and waters you will have to be sailing in also. Don't get something that limits you because of wind and water.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:03 AM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

I like the Sanibel; I also have a North Wind 28, and a Sunrise 24.
I made panel sails for the Sunrise 24 to practice; now I’m making a set for the Sanibel.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:23 PM
wismerhell

Seawind all the way, my first boat and still love it!

but the big question would be ??? what are your conditions? choppy water?wind? etc....

We need more data
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
bart430

Conditions... are probally windy. I have access to a few ponds and lakes in the area. But the wind does pick up in the afternoon. I also saw a Yamaha by Tamiya. Kind of expensive, but it looked nice.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
wismerhell

how "windy"???
hows the water? choppy , flat?

To be honest the SW sails ok till 15mph(more is possible though, depends on your settings...18mph if you depower your sails and make them FLAT its ok)...after that you need to mod it...or you ll have some nose-diving actions....@ 22mph...I had a sailable sub

but now thats all old story...25mph is max limit!!! A storm rig would help thoug..too lazy to make one...and have other boats which can handle higher wind
Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 PM
bart430

It can get up to 25 mph around here. I dont know how choppy it gets, but I guess it would be pretty choppy at that speed.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM
wismerhell

25mph...no boat will that properly...be ready to make storm suits
Good luck
Old 03-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Pecos45

Wismer- What do you consider good boats for windy areas? Soling 1M guys say their boat is good and it may be true. The Soling is a heavy boat compared the other 1M jobs. I think it is a 10 lb boat where most of the 1M's are 7.5 or less. That's a big diff in lead hanging down for a boat.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:52 PM
wismerhell

as long as the water isnt too choppy...a heavy boat is all ok.

AS I said before...a storm rig helps a lot...
Old 03-12-2005, 05:58 AM
pompebled

Another option could be the Voyager by Thunder Tiger, a AC, 1M boat.
You'll have to get it real cheap, as it involves quite a bit of work to get it sailing properly.

Pro's and con's:
- nice lines (if you like America Cuppers)
- sails well
- can take a lot of wind (6 Bft, haven't been able to let her nose dive...)
- stock sails are moderate to bad, need replacement.
- mast & booms are too bendy and make sailtrim very difficult, I'm replacing them.

Regards, Jan.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:22 PM
75lover

What about the Hobbico Paradise? Is that very good? I have seen it at my local Hobbytown USA. Like you, bart430, I am considering getting a sailboat. I have a power boat, a motorworks submarine, and an Super Decathlon, but I am considering sailing. It's pretty windy where I live and there is a pond real close to my house. Winds are normally 5-10 mph. Water is pretty choppy, too. Good luck on buying a sailboat.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Pecos45

75 - You say it's pretty windy where you live and the water is pretty choppy......but the winds are 5 - 10. Hmmmmm. 5 to 10 is not what I would call "windy." If you think wind could be a problem, you might give your local weather station a call and find out what your average or seasonal winds REALLY run. It may be more than you think.

But this isn't a make or break issue if you're careful. Sailboats have ways of dealing with the wind and most can sail in winds that would amaze you if rigged and handled properly.

Frankly, a guy like you with a "pond near the house" should be required by law to HAVE a sailboat! Do you know how many of us wish we had a pond by the house! You're a lucky fellow. Get a boat and enjoy it. First step is look for a local or nearby club. Studying and picking a boat is half the fun. And it just gets better after that.
---------------------

Oh, about the Hobbico Paradise. This is a fast way to get a sailboat, but it could get real discouraging quick. This isn't a recognised "class boat" and chances of you finding fellows with a Paradise for you to sail/race with are mighty slim. For a bit more money you could be sailing a Thunder Tiger "Victoria" which is 6 inches longer and 50% heavier than the Paradise. And the Vic is a recognized class boat. I sort of hate to see anyone who has a remote option of being near a club get a boat no one else will have and then not have anyone to race or sail with on an equal footing. This is something you should consider before you jump.

Don't be afraid of building a Victoria. The instructions are very good and in a weekend or two, you'll be on the water most likely.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:53 AM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Dosn't every one have a pond outside ther house?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57478.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	247390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95870.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	247391  
Old 03-22-2005, 03:04 AM
wismerhell

[link=http://www.localinfo.nagano-idc.com/live/nojiri/index1.html]grin[/link]
Old 03-24-2005, 07:16 PM
trailboss

Hi Bart,

Don't feel bad, I'm new to forums and new to RC sailing too. I bought a Sanibel for my first boat and I really like it. You said your brother had one so if he lives close to you then at least you will have someone to sail and race with. I read all the other responses to your question and they are all good options. Although I am a novice to rc sailing, I really enjoy it and enjoy reading the comments on the forums. It has really helped me and there are a lot of great comments and upgrade ideas from some very experienced people. The two boats you mentioned are fine boats as well as the other suggestions you received. No matter which one you choose, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Let us know which one you decided on. I must warn you, rc sailing becomes very addictive and you may find yourself with a whole fleet of different sailboats if you aren't careful !!! That's what is happening to me !!!
Old 04-10-2005, 10:32 PM
rcflyer1970
My Feedback: (212)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Sanibel mainly because i picked it up new on ebay for under $200 delivered to the door, easy set up and handles easy, only problem I could see is the sail winch travels to far (cable binding servo growl) so I limited the travel with a rubber stop on the transmitter stick and adj trim otherwize I think the winch cable will snap early. If the radio had servo travel adj. it would be easy adj. but no big deal. Seems to be a good first boat, I wouldn't want anything smaller.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:40 PM
LtDoc

bart430,
Learning to sail isn't ~that~ difficult. Having said that, there is also a fairly big step between learning to sail and racing. A 'good' beginners boat isn't a very 'good' racing boat. The one has a fairly slow reaction time (lots of time to correct a goof), the other isn't very slow or forgiving. You can certainly learn to sail with a fast boat, but it isn't as easy.
A 'first boat' is sort of like your first car. It would be nice if it were a Corvette, but in most cases a Chevette would be a 'better' choice. It's also important to 'like' the boat you get, keeps your interest up for one thing. So, select a boat you will enjoy and be proud of, really doesn't make a lot of difference what it is when learning. Once you've gotten the 'hang' of it, and learned a few of the quiks of sailing, different types of boats and manufacturors, then you can think about changing or up grading.
- 'Doc

PS - No one has just ~one~ boat. That's a 'rule', you know...