Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Yamaha RTW Yacht

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Tamiya Yamaha RTW Yacht

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Quickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Yamaha RTW Yacht

Does anyone know where i can find a review on this Yacht? I have been trying to find some information on it but there is very little out there. My Seawind needs a companion and I think its scale appearance looks just great. Thanks in advance Paul
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 AM
wismerhell

Default RE: Tamiya Yamaha RTW Yacht

http://www.velarc.e1.com.br/kits/yamahaw60.htm

http://www.velarc.e1.com.br/modifying%20yamaha.pdf
Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Pecos45

Quick, the RTW is a pretty boat, but if you're just looking for another 1 meter racing yacht, you might care to check out Victor Model Products. They make sever 1 meter boats for a LOT less money and equal quality. I'm thinking you could do the same thing at half the price with a Victor "Cup Series" boat.

Just a thought.

Jim
Old 03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Quickster

Thanks for the reply's guys, I don't actually race my yacht. I am just an everyday fun sailor who loves scale looking models. The only review i have found on this boat is in Dutch i think , but i can't seem to translate it. I will continue my search as i can be very patient. By the way , Nice video of your seawind Wis. I have canted the bulb on my keel after reading your article and looking forward to trying it out.
Cheers Paul.[8D]
Old 03-25-2005, 11:37 AM
bart430

I was also looking at this boat. It looked great, but the price was a bit too much for me. If you get it, let us know how it sails. I saw one for sale on Ebay, for 329.00
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Pecos45

I think the bottom line, Quick, is if you are going to pay this much money for a boat, you might as well get one with a fiberglass hull. This is a fortune for a plastic boat.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:54 PM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: Quickster

Thanks for the reply's guys, I don't actually race my yacht. I am just an everyday fun sailor who loves scale looking models. The only review i have found on this boat is in Dutch i think , but i can't seem to translate it. I will continue my search as i can be very patient. By the way , Nice video of your seawind Wis. I have canted the bulb on my keel after reading your article and looking forward to trying it out.
Cheers Paul.[8D]
Hi Paul, where did you find this review?

As I'm very Dutch and if the review is aswell (or German) I could translate the review for you (If it's not four or five pages of densly printed text....)

Let me know.

Regards, Jan.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Quickster

Hi Jan , this is where i found it...... www.velarc.e1.com.br/manuais_eng.htm
I would be very grateful if you could translate it as it is the only review i can find.
Cheers Paul
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 AM
pompebled

Hi Paul,

It's in German, I have the magazine myself, I'll look it up and see how lengthy it is...

Update:

Found it, first issue, year 2000.

Man, that's a lot of text!
It boils down to Tamiya having delivered a very good, easy to assemble package, with a slightly wobbly keelslot (which needs reinforcing, in order to prevent future disaster), the flat sails function good, she sails well, only running downwind she needs attention due to the large mainsail.

I hope you understand that I don't translate the whole article, I have other plans for Easter....

If you need specific info, let me know, I can see if the article provides it.

Even in 2000 the author mentions the very steep pricetag on this kit, but that's the price you pay for only having to stick things together to end up with a good looking boat.
The crew in the pics, is a discontinued item, I'm sorry to say.

When looking for my first sailboat, the Yamaha came in the picture very briefly, as it turned out, I could buy four (4!) of my present boats, the Thunder Tiger Voyager, an ACC, for the price of one Yamaha.
I have to admit, the Voyager kit isn't the same quality as the Tamiya, but hey, I like to tinker around with my boats (stiffer mast & booms, panelled sails, etc.).

Regards, Jan.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Quickster

Hi Jan, thankyou very much for the info. your very helpful ! What is ment by flat sails and why does the main sail need attention when down wind? Not sure i understood that bit. By the way, the tamiya yacht is only $100 more than i paid for my Kyosho Seawind here in australia. I can get it for $600 and i paid $495 for the seawind!
Happy Easter , Cheers Paul.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:03 AM
wismerhell

Paul...
spend a few more $ and get an used IOM!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:07 PM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: Quickster

Hi Jan, thankyou very much for the info. your very helpful ! What is ment by flat sails and why does the main sail need attention when down wind? Not sure i understood that bit. By the way, the tamiya yacht is only $100 more than i paid for my Kyosho Seawind here in australia. I can get it for $600 and i paid $495 for the seawind!
Happy Easter , Cheers Paul.
By flat sails I mean they're not panelled sails, they are made out of one piece of flat material and get their shape with the mast bend and wind pressure.

Sailing her down wind needs attention to the helm, as the mainsail is so much larger than the jib, as soon as both sails don't "butterfly" anymore due to steering or windshift, the boat runs off course as the largest sail takes control.

Those are seriously criminal prices...!

I'd look for a club and take Wis' advice, racing is so much fun!

Regards, Jan.