Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

sea lite

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

sea lite

Old 01-21-2006, 02:10 PM
harrier81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sea lite

Thanks man, i´ll do that, seems to be so easy.

what about the keel? is there anything to do with it?.

I want to tell you that my sea lite is not the blue&read with outboar motor, mine is a white&red without motor...

Thanks a lot !
Old 01-21-2006, 02:35 PM
atwinda

I have made the keel longer, but I have yet to sail it like that. The little motors in there died due to a run in with salt water.

This one is now a blue and red without outboard motor- those were the first wires I cut once I opened it up.

Check my "Sea lite mods" thread for a new picture of the longer keel and the sails I made for it.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:37 PM
harrier81

Thanks man, i´ll do that, seems to be so easy.

what about the keel? is there anything to do with it?.

I want to tell you that my sea lite is not the blue&read with outboar motor, mine is a white&red without motor...

Thanks a lot !
Old 01-23-2006, 06:54 AM
Lee Morly

2 atwinda
Check my "Sea lite mods" thread for a new picture of the longer keel and the sails I made for it.
Would you give me exact URL of your "Sea lite mods" thread?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM
atwinda

ORIGINAL: Lee Morly

Would you give me exact URL of your "Sea lite mods" thread?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3741923/tm.htm
Old 01-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Lee Morly

2 atwinda
Thank you.

You didn't tell what is the results of your modification.
Does manoeuvrability is raised after all this movement?
Does speed is up?
Pls, tell me your resume.
And if it possible, pls post any picture.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
atwinda

I have yet to take the boat out. Keep refering to that thread for any updates & pictures.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Sharaphnell

Is the sea lite suitable for saltwater? (sea) Or will it rust up in 2 days?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 PM
atwinda

rust up in two days.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Jupiterr

[8D]Hello to all, I buy in a bazaar a Sea Lite model and pay $5 usdlls by, is new but probably it was in exhibition, and somebody left batteries inside him, this I cause a disaster, with patience, cleaners and weld I made it work and works very well, the only detail is that the rudder when activating it to the left does not cut the flow of batteries and the motor is listened to working, somebody has idea of like repairing it?

my opinion of this model that is first that I have is that it is a excellent boat, and having motor outside hut is extremely usefully, sometimes it handles to another model in a pond and tapeworm but speed that mine, but by 5 usdlls I am very happy, believe me
Old 09-17-2006, 03:33 AM
starguard

I just bought this boat at Kmart for $20 a few days ago ( the red and blue one with the motor) and mines sailed fine right out of the box. As a matter off fact, it sailed so well that it sailed clean out of the 150ft radio range and set its own course across lake michigan toward open water. Leaving Chicago, I can only imagine that by now its probably halfway to Makanac Island somewhere, so I won't even bother thinking about it anymore

Anyway, I went back to Kmart and bought another one (same boat, same price) and plan to be a lot more careful with this one. This one I can assure you will only be used in the swamp in our local park
Old 09-17-2006, 03:37 AM
starguard

By the way, What type of boat would you all recommend as a replacement for this one?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Guiri

You could try the:
Victoria
Northwind
Sanibel
MG30
Century
Seawind
and a long etc.
They all have their pros and cons. There are threads here dealing with most.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
pompebled

Martin, you left out the one thats about the same size and would sail circles around the Sea Light: Graupners Micro Magic

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
prasadl

I ran to Kmart (Missouri) to get one but they have not even heard about this one. So may be this is available only in Chicago. [] You are so lucky to get a sailboat for $20 [8D]
Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jan i like the look of the magic do they have plans available?might be a good winter project for me .im addicted to building these things lol!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Guiri

I was thinking of the models readily available in the US. Graupner models are rare and a bit pricy over there. That's why the Saphir wasn't on the list either
Old 09-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Guiri

The MM is virtually a half scale model of current IOM designs. There are a fair number of those on the www.amya.org site. The "orca 2" is probably closest, but without the cabin. Otherwise try and find some Open 40' drawings.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

jan i like the look of the magic do they have plans available?might be a good winter project for me .im addicted to building these things lol!!!
Hi Martno1fan,

The Micro Magic is a kit, sold by Graupner, keep an eye on eBay (UK and or DE), they often pop up at reasonably prices.

There are huge numbers sold both in Germany and the Netherlands and there are a lot of regattas organized for this class.

Great fun!

I am not aware of any plans, but I've seen a copy in wood, which sailed quite good, but was a tad on the heavy side, as was to be expected...

Regards, Jan.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
martno1fan

i was thinking more of a balsa planks covered with very light cloth as i did for my last build that would be nice and light as is my boat!!.thanks also guiri ill look at the orca and the rest and see what i can find.i supose i could just make any boat in the IOM class and do it half size? its not hard to make the plans smaller if theyre in pdf format so ill see what i can come up with.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 AM
Guiri

There are drawings of an Open 40' class boat on
[link]http://www.finot.com/bateaux/projtprepa/40open/dosclient/o40pres_plans.htm[/link]
Jan's more familiar with Micro Magic's and may be able to tell if the drawings resemble Graupner's model.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 AM
martno1fan

looks nice mate thanks,she has a wide beam on her too which i like. i sailed my luna rosa yesterday in terrible conditions a not too windy but it was raining a bit and the heavens opened and there was thunder and lightening i was drenched lol.the boat handled well although i was a bit worried at times.when i got the boat home ther was only a cpl of drops of water inside which im sure were due to the rain not anything else.theres a small gap where the mast goes in and i reckon the rain ran inside but the electrics are in a the compartment behind so all was ok.what size would you suggest i build that boat?lengthe wise when i open the files they look like they come out at hull 24 inches or so(didnt measure it yet) is that the size with a 40 inch mast?.thanks!!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Guiri

I think were running the risk of hijacking another thread again.
The original is a forty-foot yacht and I've got no idea what either of the two scales available are. 1/12 scale would give you a model of just over 1 metre length. I'd imagine the larger rig to be too much for a model, except in the lightest of winds.
Your Luna Rosa seems fairly water tight, considering the weather conditions.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:05 AM
ianmcphsn

RIPMAX SEA-LITE

As this thread enabled me to have an excellent first day's sailing, I should paste a report, as it might be helpful to the folk who first asked whether the Sea Lite was of any use.
I "hit the floor running" with the trials, as I have some dinghy sailing experience, and also belong to a fairly respectable dinghy sailing club. The lunch table at the club proved invaluable, as a couple of people present had had model yacht experience with the standard model racing classes, and lots have off-shore experience.
Firstly, as to the hull and rig [excluding sail]. Consensus view was that it was an excellent model of a serious off-shore racing/cruising yacht. "Good enough to go on the mantelpiece". No-one yet has recognised the class/make, though it could possibly be one of the standard 40 footers. Boat Show visits might firm up on this. The designer has paid considerable attention to getting the detail correct within the limitations of scaling and of having a working model. In this, it is quite different from the model yacht racing classes, which are free-range designs.
Similarly, it was noted that it was small enough to fit into a car easily, whereas the standard classes usually had to be disassembled.
The outboard was noted appreciatively - it is, of course, much of a standard fitment on full size, and this can be tilted up, just as in big brother. In my tests, it proved scale effective, being used to move Sea Lite out of the way of a big dinghy sharpish, and backing out from under a jetty where it had hidden itself. Important for sailing on casual waters, where continuous access to the water all the way round is not always possible, and bushes overhang.
A discussion on how to control a second Sea Lite in a race. My local model shop sells these in red and blue, with different radio frequencies. Suggested that it was probably possible to swap crystals so as to obtain even more frequencies.
But as to the sails-
The as-come sails are very nicely screen printed, and must help sell the boat. They may work well enough in very very light winds, but the very valuable thread reports seemed to indicate that the yacht was very difficult to control in anything of a breeze. That is to be expected - the foot [bottom] of the sail is about 2 cm longer than the fixings, making the sail very baggy. If my dinghy was that loose, it would be virtualy uncontrollable except downwind. So, first to make a set of Heavy Weather sails. Off-cuts from a domestic window roller blind proved to be an excellent material for experimental purposes. Water-resistant, woven, cut with scissors without fraying, and capable of having small holes melted in with a mini-soldering iron. Semi-rigid, but then these are for heavy weather. Phase three will be to get some proper minature sail cloth from one of the suppliers. I am not going to give full details of the cut, as these are still very much in experimental stage, but the foot of the main now is 15.5 cm between holes, and clipped to the inner fixing loop on the boom. The jib is 28x13x22 cm between holes, with string to make up to the relevant fixing loops.
My expert panel tells me that it is not unusual for the serious model yachts to have three or more sets of sails to suit the weather.
Now for the sailing trials-
Gusty day, up to 4 on the clubhouse anemometer. Sail under the shelter of a shore and a ragged line of bushes, between two pontoons. The shore windshadow was very ragged, meaning light to sudden gusts channelled between gaps. However little in the way of serious waves.
Sailing little problem. Could be sailed on a pretty correct course, more or less where I wanted, upwind, down, across. The on-off form of rudder control meant that one had to keep paying attention, but once the principle had been grasped, it proved possible to place the boat quite closely. Reasonable turn of speed. When a serious gust hit an impressive [ just as in the videos] reaction, with the boom not quite hitting the water, and then a quick and satisfactory recovery. No entry of water.
However, the problem- Not impossible but difficult to go about [ turn across the wind] in a heavy wind. Just like big brothers, but that is also partly a question of sail balance, and that I have to get right in Phase 2. Also, the actual sail area could have been even a little less for the day.
But, in a word, yes - it is capable of sailing seriously well.
Conclusion-
Where does the Sea Lite fit? Well, for the UKP69 charged locally it is a gift. A cheap nice way of beginning. I am told that the serious model yacht racers are now over UKP2000 [ for which one could buy a real dinghy]. The nearest value would seem to be the Laser model, which is, I believe, about UKP400 and has club racing. The "Sea Lite Club" does not seem to exist, so you will have to make your own competition for the moment.

ianmcphsn
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
martno1fan

and if anyone beleives all that they need help!!,can i ask are you a designer of this boat or a supplier for this boat as everyone ive ever asked or any thread ive seen about this boat ends with the same conclusion ,that the sealite is a cheap toy!!.i guess if your happy with it then fine but they are neither cheap nor good from what ive seen of them up close.the last one i saw in a shop was £58 compaired to the micro magic which costs £120-£140 .the difference price wise is quite a bit but at least with the mm you get a quallity small boat that can sail on the sea and in tough conditions.the sealite would blow flat in anything more than a slight breeze!!.also i say any boat that uses a small motor to turn the boat is not a sail boat its just a gimmicky toy!!.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.