Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

sail wench help!?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

sail wench help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 04:06 PM
scottyfusion
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sail wench help!?!

trying to set up my boat but dont know what servo to get! heres the problem--- my boat is to skinny for a "arm" type servo. i need a wench drum type to fit good but there all 1/4 scale or close to it. i can make the servo fit but not that long "arm". does anyone know if theres a drum wench servo that has 2-3 revalutions of throw? maybe i should say besides the futaba one for $140. that just seems a little steep!
is anyone using a standerdish size servo with a drum on it? how does it work with only 120 degrees of throw?

any help would be great!! thanks, Scotty
Old 06-17-2005, 05:33 PM
ballgunner

Default RE: sail wench help!?!

I have a 725bb Hitec winch that I will let you have for $25 plus shipping. I'm guessing shipping would be a bout $5.
Let me know by email at [email protected]
Old 06-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Pecos45

Scotty, you don't have to use the long arm. Use a short "double throw" arm that pulls and pushes both ends at once. From what I've seen of sail winches, they are trouble looking for a place to happen. Stick with simple high torque servos if at all possible.

Futaba 3801 will do anything from 1 meter down. The Futaba 3802 is ALMOST as strong and a bit smaller and lighter...but I would use it on the smaller 30+ inch boats.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
scottyfusion

short double throw arm??? thats a little chinese to me! a short arm only pulls around 30mm of length. i need like 100mm.

well i guess i dont know what i need realy. that depends on what ill call "sail angle". how much angle of sail compared to the hull is enough? if i need the sail to swing out near 90 degrees i need like 100mm. i obviously will need less pull length with less sail angle.

so what do you guys think?

btw its a tri-hull sailboat. made by equipage. it has two 40'' tall sails that are both pulled by one string. if that helps at all.

thanks. Scotty
Old 06-18-2005, 06:46 PM
ballgunner

pecos45 is correct that a double arm sail servo is the best answer.
With a winch you have to maintain tension on all sheets at all times or they will jump the track. That is a real pain. I used the 725bb Hitec on a one meter and had to run everything on deck where I could see it. Also had to add elastic tensioner. It is still a very powerful winch with lots of sheet takeup. Many classes use round winches but I prefer the double arm. Fairwinds use a single arm. I modified mine to double arm and center mounted the winch.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:05 AM
scottyfusion

i dont get it!?!?! i only have one string to pull so why would i need a double arm?

my boat came with a tensioner for the sails so it wouldent come off the wench.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:09 PM
ballgunner

If you want the winch let me know. As priced in the first reply to your post. Ballgunner
Old 06-29-2005, 10:33 AM
ABE7

their is this guy with a r/c sub that happens to be their sometimes when i'm boating. SEES MY BOUT HE RAMS INTO IT![:@]
do you guys have any ideas on what i should do to avoid his sub?[]
Old 06-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Pecos45

I wonder if he would care if you rammed your fist into his face? Or if you accidentally stepped on his sub next time he gets it out of the water. Or maybe you could accidentally back into the side of his car the next time you drive away.

Or maybe you can reason with the moron and tell him you're sure he thinks ramming your boat is funny...but YOU DON'T. Hopefully he would have the required brain cells to take the hint.[:@]
Old 06-29-2005, 01:18 PM
ballgunner

We used to have a guy on the pond that thought collisions were fun. The second time he hit one of my boats on purpose I promised him that once more and I would sink his boat, accidentally of course. The same cure was promised by a couple of others at the lake and he now does everything he can to avoid even the smallest bump.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:09 PM
fishy2k8
My Feedback: (4)

this sail winch u have for $25... what are the specs? send a pic if u havent sold it already... i need it for my northwind 36
Old 07-01-2005, 08:48 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

I will take the servo if not sold.
Thanks
don