Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

getting started

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

getting started

Old 06-20-2005, 05:26 PM
chasot
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting started

I would like to try rc sailing.
I have flown lots of rc, and have a couple of cars. I also grew up sailing full scale.

I do like to jump in with both feet, but with no rc sail experience I need to study up a bit first

I was thinking a good way to go was get a real clean used boat, set up and ready?

I have an isea that bigger is better, Just like rc planes, what is a good size ?

I was leaning towards something like a star 45?

Any help much apprec.

Thanks, Chas
Old 06-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Pecos45

Default RE: getting started

Chas, you sometimes pay as much or more for a used boat than you will a new one...just because the previous owner wants something for building it.

If you are into building at all and if you have built and flown an RC plane, you can dang sure build your own sailboat. Sailboats are not nearly as difficult to put a kit together as an RC airplane. If I were you, I would just pick a kit and build it rather than buy someone else's problems.

Some excellent kits are the Thunder Tiger Victoria, the Thunder Tiger Voyager, the CR914 and the Kyosho Seawind.

The Victoria is the smallest of these boats at a bit over 30" and 4.5 lbs. It's a good honest little boat and very popular. There are a LOT of "hop-up parts" available for this boat and most serious Victoria skippers change a lot of things and make this into a serious little racing boat. It IS an AMYA recognized class and, in fact, MOST of the country has Victoria fleets and organized regattas. Point being you won't sail or race alone.

The Voyager is a 1 meter boat but not a recognized class in the USA. Some clubs race a 1 Meter "Sport" or "Open" Class where this boat would be allowed. It's a beautiful boat and sails well. Some really pretty pictures of them on this forum in fact.

The CR914 is a 36" boat and like all of these is available in kit form. It has a fine reputation as a good sailing boat and a lot of enthusiastic supporters and a good owners association. (As does the Victoria)

The Seawind a 1 meter boat, 39 inches, and is a fairly new AMYA class boat and VERY STRICT one class design. (As I believe the CR914 is also) One class design boats supposedly means everyone gets boats the same place and builds them the same way so that all boats are the same potential. However, many so called "one class design" boats have so many exceptions that a skipper can do to his boat that the reality of it is anything goes short of redesigning the hull. The Victoria is a good example of this.

However, the Seawind is strict. You build it with what's in the kit. The good news is everything in the kit is good quality stuff. In the long run, the Seawind probably ends up being the least expensive of ALL these boats.

The Seawind is a sleek, fast boat and like the 914, it has a terrific Class Owner Association with it's own newsletters/super support etc. A good class owners association becomes your family when you get a boat. They help you and support you with whatever you need to make a success out of your boat. They also are a free source of information for virtually everything you can do or everything that has ever been tested on your boat. So they are worth their weight in gold to any new skipper.

Any of the above boats and you will need at least a 2 channel radio. One of the servos MUST BE a high torque model to manage the sails in and out in strong winds. At least 100 oz torque.

IF you aren't familiar with it, bookmark the American Model Yachting Association, AMYA, at http://www.amya.org/
Get VERY, VERY familiar with everything they produce. Better yet........join them. Their magazine alone is worth it. The AMYA is basically the "Mother Ship" to all of us RC Sailors. It keeps everyone together and keeps things from going crazy and gives us all some clout with venders etc.

Hope some of this helps. One thing you sure have correct is READ and learn all you can about all of the boats and then you can better decide what's best for you.

Let us know if we can help in any way. All of us welcome you and are eager to help you succeed with the boat of your choice.

Jim
Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 AM
LtDoc

Chas,
Well, your idea is certainly one way to get started, and depending on your building ability/desire, probably as good a way as any.
What's a good 'size' to start with? One aspect of that is whatever size that will be easy to transport for you. Another aspect is do you plan to compete/race, or just have fun sailing? There can be a big difference in the price and style of boat between a racing boat and a 'fun' boat. Another one of those "depends" things that depend on your wants. One way of making the "which boat" decission is, which one do you like the looks of? Whichever one you 'like' may not be the 'best' sailer in the world, but there are modifications for everything (just like the model airplanes). Also just like the planes, no one has just one boat! Look at your first boat as something to make you familiar with the things you need to know about sailboats and sailing (hey, it makes a good excuse, right?).
Another aspect of the 'size' thingy is that you need to take a look at the places you have to sail. Some ponds/lakes just aren't big enough for huge boats. Some are too big for smaller boats (as in waves/etc.). [I'd love to have a "1/4 scale" boat, but don't have any place to sail one. And probably would have to license the @#$ thing anyway, not even counting buying/building a trailer to haul it! LOL]
So, keeping all the above stuff in mind, which boat do you want?
- 'Doc

PS - All of the above is 'relative', and subject to change to fit existine conditions.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Silverhawk
My Feedback: (1)

I just acquired a Star 45 to go with my Sunrise 24 and grandsons' 20" boats. I've got to get a picture of all those together.

Something to keep in mind is that, when assembled, it's about 7' tall so I either lay it down in the back of my truck or remove the mast for transport. If you are a spur of the moment sailor it's not the best choice.

OTOH, it sails wonderfully! This is a testament to the "bigger is better" way of thinking. It's easy to see and you don't have to worry quite as much about the size of the surf giving issue. The keel doesn't extend down so far that you need Lake Michigan to clear it either. Mine is wood but I didn't build it. I think I would like to try a wood build though since I enjoy building wood airplanes.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:45 AM
andy1499

Chas,
I see that you are from Georgia, and though I agree with Pecos and the other posters info on which boats are good--it would be a good idea to see what the locals in your area are sailing. I know Atlanta has a model yacht club--sailing a boat called an ODOM (One Design One Meter) which is an excellent and reasonably economical boat.

My point being--it's much more fun to sail with others than by one's self, so consult the AMYA ([link=http://www.amya.org]www.amya.org[/link]) club directory for any clubs that might be in your area. If you do have one in your area and you select a boat that they are sailing/racing, then you're likely to get a lot of first-hand help from individuals who will assist you in the building process.

Good luck! RC sailing is a wonderful hobby.

Andy
Old 06-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Pecos45

You are SOOOOooooo right, Andy. And we get asked this question a lot on the forums......."How to get into RC SAILING?" The answer is ALWAYS the same. "Go check out all of the info on www.amya.org and then come back and we can help. A review of what's available and where via AMYA's website is ALWAYS the first step to enlightenment. And usually the first step to finding someone to sail with. Sailaing is much more enjoyable when you have someone to share it with.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Larry Ludwig

The EC-12 would be the way to go if you want to race. They recently had their big regatta in Lawrenceville (April 16-17), and you are in the PRIME spot for competitive racing. Skip Allen recently retired from manufacturing the boats there and is enjoying life again on the pond... their club is quite active and you are in the perfect spot geographically for the "Dixie Cup" which is about a 7 regatta circuit that travels through NC (Raleigh, Elon last weekend) to GA (Lawrenceville) and coming up it goes to SC for (Blufton, Charleston, Columbia)

You would have several HUNDRED registered and raced boats within a few hours drive of your local club.

Go to: http://www.ec12.org/index.htm and see the home page for events and a lot more.

Good Luck with it!
Old 06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
chasot

thanks for all your help. I do want to build a boat myself(really wanted to build a star45) but dumas does not show it on the web site. I just thought a used boat would get me going faster in the right direction. I am in the very NW corner of GA so atlanta, or knoxville are about the same dist.

I guess, the EC_12 would be the best to start with if they are the most numerous in the area.

I will check out AMYA site.

Thanks for the help, Chas
Old 07-01-2005, 06:26 PM
chasot

Ok I surfed thru AMYA and found out a lot of info,but that brings more questions.

I am in Chattanooga Tn. they sail east coast 12M in atlanta,and knoxville.

Since chatt. is on the light side of weather it seams like a good choice to me.

1. is the ec12m a light air boat?

2. what would be the cost for a used boat approx.?

3. the us-1m is also in my area, but is not "biger is better" true?

4. I have seen a race about 4 or 5 years ago here, how can I track any locals down?

Thanks, Chas
Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Larry Ludwig

Hi Chas,

I was based in Nashville for 7 years, and I sailed my EC-12 there on Percy Priest Lake next to the airport many many times. You will do more than fine with the EC-12. It is most assuredly a light air boat... in that it performs at it's very best in <10 kts (compared to other boats) but you can drop down to smaller "B" and "C" rig sails as the winds pick up so don't think that you are limited to light air only.

You will have some other EC-12 boats heading into your area before long as the class is growing and you are in an ideal area.

Larry
Old 07-04-2005, 06:36 AM
chasot

well, if this is'nt funny.

I helped my father move to a retirement condo,and he gave me alot of his old rc stuff( flying mostly)
But he did get a sailboat,and lost interest before finishing it.

I now have a sunrise 24, 1/2 way assembled with some parts missing,but I do have the plans!

I will most likely have a few questions this week,if you guys are not all out on the water.

Especially you SILVERHAWK Did'nt you have this boat?

Thanks, Chas
Old 07-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Silverhawk

Yes, I have this boat and it's been modified slightly. I getting ready to do the maiden test on the mods today with any luck.

The Sunrise is a nice light wind boat and will move right along smartly. One thing with mine is that it had a tendency to weatherhelm to the extreme in winds over the 8 mph range. getting around 10 mpg and it would start trying to spin in circles and ignore the helm.

Don't get me wrong, she sails great in stock form but stick to winds under 8 mph and it will be great.

This brings me to the present modification. I removed the mast tube from inside the hull and replaced it with 1/2' balsa standing from deck to keel. This is to support the mast which I cut off at deck level and inserted a plug with a rounded end. I also have a mast plate with a series of "indents" so the mast can be moved forward a possible total of 2". I hope this will help the weather helm to be calmed a bit.

Finally, I had to move the jib swivel forward 1" to clear the mast.

Well, on the to the pond for the test run.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:14 PM
andy1499

I think if you want a lower cost RC boat, probably the best low cost (under $200) highest quality boat is the Megatech Nirvana... don't get me wrong, it's not without flaws (sail servo used to be a problem, but I think you can buy a kit with a stronger servo now) but the sails are mylar and it's built pretty rugged. It's also over 30" which will make it handle better. Tower Hobbies is supposed to be getting these back in stock soon....

Andy
Old 07-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Pecos45

Andy, I think a boat we always overlook here is the Thunder Tiger Voyager. It's a 1 meter boat and I've see enough of Pompebled's photos to know she will move fast and handle a good wind. And I think this boat is about $150 US. There are mods he suggests for this boat, but not vital to it's sailing at all. It even comes with CF mast and boom. Only problem is it will take a little searching to find it with a dealer. But it's here.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 PM
andy1499

I didn't know that boat had the C/F stuff. The Nirvana has C/F booms and mast. The sails are the exact same material as the RC Laser... the were designed by the same people. One of our club members has one, though he doesn't sail it much (he also has a SW and a Vic). I think for those just wanting a small, low cost but durable boat (I think the Nirvana 'ultimate combo' through Tower Hobbies is less than $150) I think the Nirvana (easy to transport at just 32") might be the choice. I've never seen the Voyager, though I've heard good things. There is a 'movement' to get a Nirvana class in the AMYA going, though I don't know if it will ever happen.

Andy
Old 07-05-2005, 12:54 AM
wismerhell

hmmm a small boat...MicroMagic...or why not even a Footy
Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 AM
andy1499

Wis,
I've heard the Micro Magic is good, and one of our local club members has built a Footy. However, neither of these is Ready-to-Run, which the Nirvana essentially is. However, I have never sailed a Nirvana, Micro Magic or Footy (I saw one sailing though) so I don't know how they compare in this way. I'm just looking from a beginner RC sailor standpoint. RTR's get them on the water with a minimum of building time. BTW--the pics of your Micro Magic look great!

Andy
Old 07-05-2005, 09:25 AM
wismerhell

true, both arent RTR...maybe the Vic...

Btw, the Carrsails are GREAT on the SW

cheers
Old 07-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Silverhawk

Don't discount the Robbe Rainbow. We put it on the pond with my 26 yr old son at the helm. He's never sailed a model before and he gave my Sunrise a real run for it's money. I am going to watch for another Rainbow to let my granddaughter use now. They are very forgiving and will handle a pretty good breeze considering the 20" size.

BTW, the mods to the Sunrise worked very nicely. It turns to tack much better and I think it handles better all around.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Pecos45

Andy, that would be super to get a Nirvana class going. I'm all for the smaller, less expensive boats. I think the creation of some really good boats down in the smaller sizes is really the way to make our sport grow. Not everyone can afford the larger boats or has the room to store them at home or a suitable way to transport them, etc.

I can see the Nirvana's and the Victor 32's battling it out......possibly even with Victorias tossed into the mix for some small "Open Class" of boats. That would be great fun to see them fight it out on the waters and I suspect a pretty good match.

How's your second Vic coming along? Jim
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
chasot

HEY, I GOT IT WET TODAY!!!!

I am WAY out of trim,missing a few parts,spent 75% of the time " in irions", and loved it.

I just sailed a little in my pond(very small) with poor winds. I can't wait to rig it better and get in some clean air.

Chas
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Pecos45

I know your excitement, Chas! I consider any trip out that my boat doesn't sink a smashing success.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
chasot

OK, another problem. My sunrise 24 is taking on water, the keel was full of water,and a little water in the hull. I can see some hairline cracks in the front and back of the keel where it is faired into the hull.
Is this common on this sailboat?
what is the best way to fix it. Ca and baking powder,or a flexible caulk?

thanks, Chas
Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Silverhawk

Mine didn't have the cracking on the outside but I still was taking on water through poor seals around the hatch I think. This, in turn, let water into the keel through the poor finish on the inside. I put some better foam around the comb and the hatch and it seems to be working better.

I sealed the inside with a better coating of epoxy when I put the support for the mast under the deck. Hopefully between the two it will help. On yours, if it were me, clean up the outside and re-coat with Z-poxy and finish sand and paint it. Then go to the inside and re-seal that with regular epoxy. I would try that and see if it helps.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:59 AM
chasot

Thanks for your help. I'll do all three,although I don't think it's the comb seal because it hasent been heeling more than 15* and my pond is still enough to mirror image the senery.

I think It's dry enough to do this afternoon.

also what did you use for your comb seal?

wing foam,glue a rubber band around it,caulk??

thnaks again, Chas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.