Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

new sailboat

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

new sailboat

Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 PM
spillinmyRUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sailboat

hey i have just been forced to move inshore due to hurricane katrina i had a mg 30 and a northwind 36 right now i have the northwind but no sails or spars my MG30 got crushed in my garage by a optimist my north wind has some damage to the mast step but i am thinking of putting a swing rig on it. i am looking for a good light air sail boat that will plane very quickly i am a firm believer that you cant have too much power in a boat any suggestions??
Old 10-07-2005, 03:50 PM
andy1499

Default RE: new sailboat

Spillmyrum,

As far as small boats go, the Vic is probably one of the favorites in the AMYA, but I have to admit, the Halo from Climate Models ([link=http://climateboatworks.com/store/page0.html]http://climateboatworks.com/store/page0.html[/link]) is pretty inticing. Have a look at their site for details...

Sorry to hear about your damage. Glad to hear YOU are ok though!

Andy
Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 AM
mahoo

I've been eyeing the Halo as well. Is anybody using one yet for a comparison to a Vic?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM
andy1499

Looking at the pictures of the Halo, the only thing I wish it had was a bigger hatch! I hate trying to get my fingers down inside of those smaller boats. I know, not a big deal, but with the increased width over a Vic, you'd think the hatch would be wider. I suppose you could enlarge it somehow.

Andy
Old 10-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Al Stein

That Halo is a sharp looking boat... I wonder why it's 30" long.
It looks like a boat designed for competition, but its size doesn't fit any of the competition classes in the US.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:16 PM
andy1499

Al,
It's the same size as the Victoria, another AMYA sanctioned class that actually performs well as long as you replace all of the rigging and sails with lighter, stronger than stock material.

The cool think about the Halo is it comes with a c/f mast, is made of fiberglass rather than ABS, and you don't have to throw away all of the parts except the keel, rudder and hull. Since I don't have one (yet) I'm not sure if it's easy to build or not. Maybe a new class could be formed???

Andy