Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Newbee Info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Newbee Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
venture_flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee Info

Gentlemen,
I am new to the Yacht sailing. Yesterday actually was the first day. I picked me up a Kyosho Sea Dolphin 770. I got the hull all set up last night. I have decided not to paint this one as it is a first for me and the first always suffers the damage. All the rigging devices on the deck are mounted. I went to lowes and got slightly bigger gold wood screws so they would get a bigger grip in the plastic. I also added a little CA to the bottom of the rigging devices. The hull turned out pretty good. I water proofed everything on the inside. I have started on the mast. alot of my lines are loose right now, but will be tightened later. The problem I am having is when I tie the lines off the instructions shows a slight loop at the ends. I was wondering do I need to leave this loop or tie it tight on the ends? SO far everything looks really good and I hope in the end everything works out on this one for me. I was also hoping some of the experience would come out from out there and come my way on what to make sure I do and what to look forward to while I am building. Thanks in advance for all who can help me out.
Thanks,
Eric Hodges
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Larry Ludwig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbee Info

Hi Eric,

first I will say congratulations on chosing a wonderful hobby that will give you more pleasure and entertainment for your time/dollar than any other I know.

I don't have much to go on as to your rigging questions... but typically leaving a loop in the end of a line implies that you are going to attach something to it that might not be permanent. A clip, or hook, or any number of methods of attachment may be in mind for your rig and done for the purpose of removing the device. This could be something as common as a sheet, or as seemingly permanent as a stay wire to drop the mast for transport. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that some guys do drop the masts on small boats for fitting into their vehicles, because for me the best thing about a 1 meter or smaller boat is that it goes right into the truck without requiring any attention.

The things to watch for when building is that you get everything done below deck before you make any permanent attachments that would prevent you getting your hands back in and under the deck. Most radios these days have reversing servos... but it is a good plan to make sure that your servo is going to work in the direction you wanted prior to installation. Certainly at some point you are going to get water inside your boat, so give some thought to where that water will go, and what damage it might cause and how you can limit or prevent that by the positioning and protection of your radio gear. Sometimes something as simple as a piece of clear tape around the joint seam of a servo can make the difference between a wet servo case and a ruined servo amplifier.

If your not painting your boat... don't feel that you can't have a nice finish. I learned from watching my car modeler buddies when I was based in Nashville.. that you can polish plastic to an even higher luster than you can paint. (The car modelers in Nashville are some of the very finest anywhere) When I saw them chose to polish a car body rather than paint it... I was AMAZED at the finish that could be achieved. Using a very fine rubbing compound is a good start, and then a specific plastic polish such as NOVUS 2 and then use NOVUS 1 and you will have a finish that is mirror perfect. My other buddies used Novus in their arcades to polish plastic and playfield on pinball tables... and it is wondeful stuff. Look for it online, or at a local Plastic Supplier.

Not only will you get a wonderful finish to the eye.... but as fast a surface as you could want going through the water.

Since you are in Newport NC you are in for a real treat as there is quite a bit of sailing going on around you. The biggest one I can think of is next month up the road from you in New Bern is the J Class Nationals, and that would be something to see. If you are not familiar with the J boats then go to: http://www.amya.org/j.html and http://www.cse.unr.edu/~arnold/jclass/ and lastly http://www.brawner.net/ and you will get some idea of the size and beauty of these gorgeous boats. These are the largest class raced in the AMYA and to my knowledge the world.

Good luck with your new boat and hobby, and as always keep everyone informed on how you are coming along with your project and pictures are always a bonus.

Larry