Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Mast Profiles?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Mast Profiles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:38 AM
brettos01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mast Profiles?

What mast profiles are available for RC sailboats?
Are they the same as full size boats?
Does the sail mount inside a channel like full scale boats?

Regards Brettos.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Mast Profiles?

Brettos,
The profile of a mast can be almost anything that you care to make it. The most common are round, square, and rectangular. Want a 'foil' shape? Start sanding.
Sails are attached in several different ways, again, just depends on how you want to do it. Mast 'rings', eye-lets and wire through a seamed sail, just glue the thing on, whatever. Depnding on the size of the boat, other methods are possible. Of course, the smaller you get, the more 'unsofisticated' it gets, sort of. Unless your boat is supposed to 'fit' a particular catagory, theres really no one 'right' way of doing it. More a matter of just how 'scale' you want it to be, or how easy you want it to be to build.
Did that come close to answering your question?
- 'Doc
Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 PM
brettos01

ORIGINAL: LtDoc

Brettos,
The profile of a mast can be almost anything that you care to make it. The most common are round, square, and rectangular. Want a 'foil' shape? Start sanding.
Sails are attached in several different ways, again, just depends on how you want to do it. Mast 'rings', eye-lets and wire through a seamed sail, just glue the thing on, whatever. Depnding on the size of the boat, other methods are possible. Of course, the smaller you get, the more 'unsofisticated' it gets, sort of. Unless your boat is supposed to 'fit' a particular catagory, theres really no one 'right' way of doing it. More a matter of just how 'scale' you want it to be, or how easy you want it to be to build.
Did that come close to answering your question?
- 'Doc
I have seen airfoil shaped sections of aluminium at my local hobby shop here in Sydney which look very similar to a real sailboat mast, if this is still available I doubt I would need to sand a round solid to get a airfoil section.
Sanding a solid seems a waste of time and also a solid would be much heavier than an airfoil shaped tube.
I have another post in here, asking to identify my hull, do you know what it is?

Thankyou for your input -'Doc.

Regards Brettos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93373.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	361126  
Old 11-28-2005, 12:07 AM
LarryLudwig

I don't want to get in trouble for advertising, but I can tell you that we have 2 different sizes of aluminum masts made specifically for our boats. 8' smaller airfoil shaped anodized and larger diameter 10' for the largest "A" and "J" class boats. You can see them on the website www.LudwigRCYachts.com Unfortunately, shipping might be quite expensive.

I read the rules here about commercial messages, and this appears to be within the framework.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:49 AM
brettos01

ORIGINAL: LarryLudwig

I don't want to get in trouble for advertising, but I can tell you that we have 2 different sizes of aluminum masts made specifically for our boats. 8' smaller airfoil shaped anodized and larger diameter 10' for the largest "A" and "J" class boats. You can see them on the website www.LudwigRCYachts.com Unfortunately, shipping might be quite expensive.

I read the rules here about commercial messages, and this appears to be within the framework.

Hi Larry, Thanks for the link though I could not find any mast sections on your site. Are they hidden?

Regards Brettos.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:36 PM
LarryLudwig

Heehehe.... well.. no.. other than my inept attempt at a website... they should be under Accessories / Spars / Aluminum

The buttons are a Java Applet... so if you don't have Java they won't appear and work for you. That might have been the problem?

If you don't get through... just email me an address where you can be reached and I will send you the info.

LL