Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

What Radio

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

What Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:41 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Radio

Building a Fairwind 900. What Radio should I get and where can I buy it. Tks
Old 01-14-2006, 02:30 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: What Radio

cotman,
Almost any two channel (surface) radio will work just fine. The brand is up to you since they are all very close to having the same capabilities. The 'style', pistol grip or stick, is also up to you. There are disadvantages to the pistol grip types, the 'trigger' control for sail control takes some getting used too, certainly possible though. More or less just a matter of choice, what 'grabs' you and what doesn't.
The part that you should pay attention to, and what seldom comes 'standard', is the sail servo. It should be large enough to handle the sails.
'Where' you get a radio is another one of 'those' choices. Whats convenient for you, and who has the best 'deal$'. The only thing I would recommend is to stick with a 'name' brand.
- 'Doc
Old 01-14-2006, 05:31 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What Radio

I prefer Hi-tec. I have three, all on the same channel. It will be necessary to buy a good sail servo no matter what brand you decide is for you. I prefer a double arm sail servo which will take some doing on a Fairwind but it can be done. The double arm gives you more freedom to adjust the slot between the jib and main. My Fairwind is with a new owner so I can build another Soling 1M, orperhaps a Soling 50. I will use the radios I have on hand.