Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

My boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

My boat

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 PM
outcold720

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My boat

hey

I got this boat from my great uncle becuase hed never finish it
its a Graupner Gracia

the hull is pretty much done so I just have to do all the rest
I have a few questions
what would be the best radio for this boat?
the best glue?
and pretty much and tips?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40604.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	394696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72849.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	394697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56640.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	394698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67931.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	394699  
Old 01-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Guiri

Default RE: My boat

That really is an oldy! You've got a much better choice if radio equipment on the market now than when the kit was new. Any 2 channel surface radio should work. Even though the sail area is less than on modern day boats of the same size, the sail servo will need to be stronger than the standard servos; at least than 150 oz/inch (10 kg/cm) of torque. Being an all wood kit, white carpenter's glue will be fine as long as the wood's well sealed both inside and out.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 AM
pompebled

I agree with Guiri,

But if you intend to sail her (which she does really well b.t.w.) I would advice to cover the outside with a thin layer of glasscloth and epoxy, to be absolutely sure it's watertight.
Don't worry, the wood will still be visible, as if there was only varnish used.

Inside I would only apply a thin coat of epoxy to seal the wood.

Regards, Jan.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:48 PM
outcold720

Hey thanks for the replies
I do plan on sailing her and I was thinking of replacing the wooden mast with an aluminum mast and use rip-stop nylon for the sails instead of the fabric that came with it.
thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Labattomy

Hello Outcold, and again thanks for having the great eye and figuring out that i also have a Gracia. I have nothing else for My boat (other than the hull) and would be willing to pay you for copies of any plans/patterns/pictures (sail, mast boom, riggins,) etc. for the boat.

please let me know if you would be willing to share this

Cheers,
Dan
Old 07-02-2007, 01:32 AM
outcold720

No problem Labattomy

I have the plans for the boat. theres two sheets and they're fairly large so Ill see what i can do with scanning them or something

the plans have everything you need to know with every part listed and a full size picture of each of them and it shows the sail plan and the rigging and everything so it will definitely help you

Ill see what I can do and Ill get back you
Eric
Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 AM
LtDoc

Eric,
I think the type of glue used just depends on what has already been used (compatibility) and what you are used to using (preference). Jan's suggestions about sealing and glassing the boat are good ideas on any wooden boat and I'd certainly consider them.
- 'Doc

PS - I am a notoriously 'generous' person and if you decide, like your great uncle, that you aren't going to finish the boat, I would only have to have my arm twisted slightly to accept it as a gift. ... hold my breath, right?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
coldrolled

Even though many people use it because of the color selection, I believe rip-stop nylon is a poor material for sails because it is difficult to control the leach of the sail. A Fedex envelope, Dacron like the material that comes with the Soling one meter kit, mylar or better yet a mylar composite are much better material. Rip-stop nylon is used on kites and spinnakers for big boats.

I don't know of any RC sail maker that uses or good RC sailboat kit the comes with rip-stop for their sails except the Kittiwake Footy.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:48 PM
LarryLudwig

Ripstop is fine for your project. I have some ripstop sails here that are 25 years old and still work well. The Victoria comes stock with ripstop sails and I think it was Geoff Becker that used the stock, single panel (one hemmed piece) main from the kit to win his Regionals last year.... against a field of nothing but custom mylar panelled sails.... so don't let the mylar thing get you off the track.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Labattomy

Hello Eric,
I thought of a way to "scan" the plans in, you could take digital pics of the plans, take pictures of sections (say 4 photos of each sheet so you get the detail) and then I can photoshop them into one larger print. I have used this method before, the trick is to get the lighting right (sometimes I turn of the flash and use shop lights or something.

I can stitch the photos together and make a .pdf Now it is easy to mail them.

I used to have access to large drawing scanners working at Kodak, but I don't see them much anymore ;-)

Just a thought..

Cheers,
dan
Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
carlosamato

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want I can scan my plans a email you a PDF File of them.

Regards,

Carlos Amato
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Labattomy

Hello,
that would be wonderful, All I have is what you see in the pictures, no plans, or instructions. I would love to sail the boat.

Email is [email protected]

Thanks in advance !

Dan
Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
carlosamato

Dan,

I will scan the plans and email to you this week.

I posted under my profiles two pictures of my completed Gracia. The most important parts of the kit are the steel ballast that screws to the bottom of the wood hull and the bag of hardware. Do you have those parts? Other than that it is a pretty straight forward kit.

Regards,

Carlos
Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM
carlosamato

Dan,

I emailed the 2 plans and instruction today. Please let me know when you get them.

Regards,

Carlos
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Labattomy

Thanks for the photos, they are great, amazing condition for 1966. I have the ballast on the bottom of the boat, however I do not have the hardware bag. On my boat there appears to be the mast step in the bottom, some side stay hardware and the rudder shaft and nut on top, othere than that I have nothing. I do not have the sails or mast, but from the plans you sent me I should be able to make a go of it.
I guess I was lucky to save what I did, it was in the bottom of a large roll-off dumpster along with tons of other items. Also last week they got ANOTHER dumpster and did some more tossing, including many plastic and balsa models, tools (dental tools, zona saws, mono-kote iron, etc). I saved as much as I could, but still did not find the sail/mast :-(
Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 AM
carlosamato

Dan,

The sail is no big deal. The dimensions are on the full size plans I sent you, and even if you had the original cotton fabric, you would have to replace since it yellows over time.
The mast that came with the model is round, and in two pieces, with the top third tappered off a bit. You are better off making a one piece. In a few days I will post some images of mine for you to see.

Regards,

Carlos