Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Where to find A Good sailboat transmitter?????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Where to find A Good sailboat transmitter?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find A Good sailboat transmitter?????

I am an experienced r/c airplane flyer...and a full scale sailor...but new to R/C sailboats.
I know I must use a 75Mhx tx for surface use, but I can't find a reasonable Tx specifically for sailboat use. I dont want to use a car pistol type tx with a trigger..I would prefer a more conventional box with two sticks that BOTH move left and right...rather than one fore and aft.
I've seen a futaba "attack" but it has the left stick moving fore and aft...can that be changed?...also, it does not have a charge jack, so that would require some modification as well. What is out there for sailing....preferably FM rather than AM, but I guess I'd take whatever works well enough. I am thinking that I would want non-centering sticks, so that I can adjust and hold rudder or sail trim in tiny increments as may be required.
Thanks for the info.
Jim
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
pompebled

Default RE: Where to find A Good sailboat transmitter?????

Hi Captain,

The Attack I know have a charging jack either at the back, or under the battery cover.

As far as I can tell it's not possible to rotate the left stick ninety degrees, frankly I don't see the point in doing that, most sailors have the sails on the left stick moving up and down (open / closed) (I'll open mine up and let you know if it's do-able)

A ratched on this left stick is a nice feature, keeps the sails in a fixed position.

I have the rudder centered and make small adjustments with the trim, but a ratched should work, if it works for you.

Regards, Jan.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
LtDoc

Jim,
I guess it all boils down to just how much are you willing to pay for the 'style' of control that you want. Usually doesn't mean huge amounts of money, but that's 'relative' (me = cheap!).
Most radios are modifiable as to the 'style' of stick control, ratcheting/self-centering. That assumes that the radio system has two stick with up/down, left/right movements to start with, which usually means a 4 (or more) channel radio. Some are easier to modify than others, the manufacturor maybe providing the 'doo-hicky' to change between the two styles. Which stick does what, and it's style of movement is up to you.
How a radio gets power (charging/swap batteries) is another one of 'those' things that is usually modifiable, or costs just a little more, and another 'personal preference' sort of thingys. If you find a radio that you really like, that 'feels' right, but isn't rechargable, change it. (Hey, R/C'ers like to tinker with stuff, right? So 'fix' it till it's 'right'.)
Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do is look at 4 (or more) channel radios till you find the one that's 'perfect' for you. Don't need all those channels? Don't use them.
- 'Doc
Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the Futaba 2 channel DR radio. I opened it and removed the centering spring. That way I can adjust the sails in or out and it holds the position. Very easy to do.

Here's a link to them:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj22.html
Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Capt Jim

Hi guys...I appreciate all the inputs and they have given me a better feel for how most guys set up the controls. Remember...I am used to planes where the only stick that does not self center is the throttle. I was thinking that I want my rudder and sail trim to be on non-self centering sticks, so that going to center assures me that the rudder will in fact be amidships, and the sails will be quite close hauled....that being said...it appears now, in light of an earlier comment, that the sail control servo simply loosens or tightens the sheets, and it is only the apparent wind to determine which tack they'll be set on. So I guess the right stick would be rudder, and the left stick sail control.
I have seen that Attack radio, but I am unable to find any other higher quality radios on 75 MHZ. I am just a little uncomfortable with low end radios and no other options. Maybe the 75Mhz band is almost exclusively for cars.
Thanks all...
Jim
Old 03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
LtDoc

Jim,
Theres nothing wrong with 75 Mhz but it isn't the 'cure-all' of R/C bands. Lots of nice 75 Mhz radios out there, may not be listed in all webb sites, but most manufacturors do offer them. And, just as a suggestion, take a look at the 'Spektrum' 2.4 Ghz radios. They have some very nice features, are not that common yet, and may be just what you're looking for. They are not the cheapest in the world. One of them is advertised as a 'park flyer' radio, but thats because of it's range, not that it's limited to just 'park flyers', it isn't. No restrictions on the 2.4 Ghz band in the US, at least not as far as planes, boats, cars, robots, lawnmowers, whatever. (Nope, I don't work for 'Spektrum'. I have to pay full price too.)
- 'Doc
Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Capt Jim

Hi Doc. Yes, I am familiar with the Spektrum radio system. It is the radio of the future for sure.
I have been unable to find any radios on 75 mhz with "sticks" other than the Futaba Attack...a very "el cheapo" radio. All the others on 75 are pistol types for cars. So as a first attempt at sailing I'll just pick up an Attack AM radio and give it a try.
Thanks for all the info'
Jim
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
CaptDon

I too like a good radio system for my boats. I like FM systems, and prefer a dual conversion system if I can't have PCM, (which is what I run my gas powered boats with). I have several Futaba FM stick transmitters, (2- 4 chan Skyport T4YF, and a computerized T6EXA), that I simply sent into the Futaba Service Center and for around $27. (shipping included), they converted them over to 75MHz on my choice of channels. I have switched over to Hitec 3 channel DCX neg. shift receivers. The are small and light, and are dual conversion. To get a dual conversion Futaba receiver, your only choice are the big 7 channel receivers. Check Ebay......you can pick up new transmitters VERY resonable.

Don