Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sailboat Radio Interference almost lost boats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sailboat Radio Interference almost lost boats

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
jkotlanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailboat Radio Interference almost lost boats

My family and I are houseboating on Raystown Reservoir in PA. We brought along three rc sailboats an EC12 (just built), a Climate Models 1 Meter, and a Kyosho Sea Dolphin. Yesterday, we launched the EC12 and the 1 meter from the shore line where we were moored and then went to the back of the boat to sail them. The houseboat's generator was running as were the two air conditioning units on the top of the houseboat. About 45 minutes into the sailing experience, my son and I both boat lost rudder control on channel 1 in both boat and were forced to scramble to catch them before they raced down the ten mile stretch to the end of the lake. We had a similar problem last year, but this time I had a $1800. boat at stake. We accounted for it being caused by the cove that we were in. We did, however, try out the Sea Dolphin by itself from a raft where my son operated the transmitter in the first cove and it worked really well. Today we moved to a new cove much farther away and launched the EC12 and the Kyosho Sea Dolphin and had a similar experience. Unfortunately the loss of rudder control on the EC12 and Sea Dolphin occured right as we were tacking close to each other and the EC 12 ran down the Sea Dolphin. Had the Sea Dolphin mast not gotten caught in the rigging of the EC12, it was sure to sink.

The EC12 runs on Channel 61 on a Futaba Skiesport 4 transmitter and Futaba 7 channel dual conversion receiver.
The One Meter uses an older version of the Futaba Skiesport 4 channel transmitter and runs on Channel 62.
The Sea Dolphin uses a Futaba T2ER transmitter and operates on channel 82

Is the generator responsible for the frequency problem that has cause the loss channel one on our receivers. Is there a method to shield the tranmitter/receiver from spurious electronic emissions from a generator? We had a similar problem when a large Dodge Diesel Truck was running near the launch ramp at the lake where we normally sail.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:59 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Sailboat Radio Interference almost lost boats

jkotlanger,
My first guess would be either the generator or the airconditioners. That's just a guess, but it would seem to be the logical answer from just the information you gave. There's also the possibility that someone else was using those R/C channels (not very likely for both channels at the same time but a good 'CYA' answer). Another possibility (since I'm into the 'not very likely' things) is low receiver batterys, since you mentioned the 45 minute thingy. That's definitely a low probablity thingy, especially thinking about the truck.
The best defence against interference is distance from the source, especialy if the source isn't one that you can control. (A receiver hears the strongest signal on or near the design frequency.) After that, it's more a matter of cleaning up the source if possible. Shielding the receiver from the interference is almost impossible without some major work, almost a rebuild of the thing. There are exceptions to that, but not being familiar with your receivers, and since it affected both of them, the source is the culpret, not the receivers.
I hope there's a simple answer and that someone will know of it. I'm obviously not being of much help...
- 'Doc
Old 06-29-2006, 05:19 PM
jkotlanger

Doc,
Thanks for your reply. We did isolate this issue to the generator which appears to be outputing a frequency that matches that of Channel 1. My son moved to channel three and we were able to sail the EC12 without incident in very high winds. It sailed beautifully with no interference with steering. It was a bit of a stretch for me since instead of left and right I had to do up and down to steer the boat, but sailing I was and it was a lot of fun. He stood ready in the crash zodiac just in case. The Sea Dolphin is drying out from our little adventure.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Boatdude1

One recommendation is to go to the new DX6 radio which will end these types of problems. You can find them on the Tower hobbies website and appropriate info. I glad you were able to retrieve your boats. I lost a 2k one once in a storm that came up and that was an interesting experience.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am also aware that operating radios that older, or less expensive, non-PCM systems within one channel apart (61,62) and if you two were standing close together will also result in some interference / mixed signals to the receiver.

This was why (although could have some urban legend to it) a lot of flyers try to stay at least two channels apart and put a fair amount of distance between them and other flyers.

Scott