Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

rc lasers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

rc lasers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Ross15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc lasers

Hi

is anyone involved with rc lasers in tasmania's north or is comeing to tasmania that is involved. I am interested in the 1m class but want to talk to thoes involved with lasers.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Templus_Catticus

Default RE: rc lasers

Ahoy Matey: First of all you should know that the RC Laser is NOT a 1 Meter boat. she is a great little performer but is not considered a part of the 1 meter class as she is 42" LOA. She is in a one design class all her own.

She is also ever growing in popularity so I hope you can find someone (or better yet some club) near you if not now then soon that runs the Laser.

My problem with her is purely one of aesthetics...I just love the look of a sailboat with a jib and the RC Laser is just (a strange criticism) too perfect. Nothing to fuss with or really test yourself on to get "just right."

If you want a high performance sailboat that will take a tough knocking about by the kids and will sail in virtually any wind conditions ... and don't mind the look of a dinghy...and runs like a champion straight out of the box...she's your girl.

~TC
Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Ross15

probably a thing i should have mentioned is that i do know it isn't a 1m class, I am interested in just sailing the boat at the moment but there is no one around here that sails the laser rc. I am also involved in actual sailing and have a full size 4.2m long laser that I am racing so do how they handle. i am looking for if possible a rc laser thats second hand at the monent.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Ross15

this is my laser.

Ross
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89101.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	539081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69121.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	539082  
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 AM
LtDoc

Ross15,
Very nice boat, but where do you find a servo that'll work that thing? LOL
- 'Doc
Old 10-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Ross15

at the rate that I break the boat I don't think a servo could be made to cope whith the load.
the rear pully supporting main sheet broke.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Spdsk8er
My Feedback: (3)

Woah! awesome hull design! mine is just blue like yours, but with out the white stripes. Ill post pics later
Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi the laser is a great performer but did you know my local club designed a boat similar to the laser and it was designed before the laser too.they only built them for fun and still race them to this day!!, they call them mustangs and they sail very well .they were designed in 1980 way before the laser came onto the scene!!.heres a link to them have a look and see,by the way fleetwood boat lake is the largest course in europe and was the host of this years world championships for i beleive marbleheads!!.i think its been held there for the last two years.
[link]http://www.fleetwoodmypbc.org.uk/html/mustang%20racing.htm[/link]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:49 PM
LarryLudwig

I ripped the maststep out of my Laser, but it was a real one. We were going like mad until the damn thing came apart. I always did like my Force 5 better
Old 11-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Dinosaur

Just out of curiosity, how much does a new 4.2 m Laser and trailer run these days (in American $)?

I have a Nirvana II RC sailboat. I couldn't recommend a better starting sloop for anyone thinking about getting into the action. For under $200, it will let you know if RC sailing is for you. I expect to hook many new captains with this boat.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Spdsk8er
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Dinosaur

Just out of curiosity, how much does a new 4.2 m Laser and trailer run these days (in American $)?

I have a Nirvana II RC sailboat. I couldn't recommend a better starting sloop for anyone thinking about getting into the action. For under $200, it will let you know if RC sailing is for you. I expect to hook many new captains with this boat.
[8D]

not sure what the 4,2 m. means, (meteres i guess), but a new one from aps is about 5000. Or you can search around like me and wait for a perfect deal. I got a 2003 boat that is faster then my friends 06 boat for 3000[8D]
Old 12-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Ross15

I'm not sure about american but that boat of mine I got for $4500 including about everything I could want with extras and trailer. it is a really competitive boat and I can keep up with the other lasers here.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Tibarus

RC Lasers? They exist? I sail lasers (the real ones) I've never heard about RC lasers.... must be fun. =3
Old 12-08-2006, 06:15 AM
gms0707

Here are some RC Laser links

http://sailrclaser.com/index.html

http://www.radiosail.com.au

http://www.rclasergosport.org.uk/

Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Mr.Balto

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

hi the laser is a great performer but did you know my local club designed a boat similar to the laser and it was designed before the laser too.they only built them for fun and still race them to this day!!, they call them mustangs and they sail very well .they were designed in 1980 way before the laser came onto the scene!!.heres a link to them have a look and see,by the way fleetwood boat lake is the largest course in europe and was the host of this years world championships for i beleive marbleheads!!.i think its been held there for the last two years.
[link]http://www.fleetwoodmypbc.org.uk/html/mustang%20racing.htm[/link]
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Mr.Balto

point of clarification: Bruce Kirby designed the Laser in 1969-1970.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you talking about the full size laser?,im talking about the rc boat not the full size one.i dont think the rc version has been sailing since the sixtys correct me if im wrong here?.i should have made my point clear but this is an rc site not a full size boat site so i didnt think it necesary.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Those are really cool looking RC Sail boats. I use to sail Dolphins (full size) back in the '70s
I gotta say they sure do look kind of funny without anybody hanging over the windy side. I never thought anybody would build an RC "Board Boat".
Now I have a:
Husen 36/600
Bingo 50/800 and a
Newport

You are getting my juices going again.