Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

CR-194/36-600...1M & Peapod + bonus Robbe question.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

CR-194/36-600...1M & Peapod + bonus Robbe question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CR-194/36-600...1M & Peapod + bonus Robbe question.

Hi all,

Sorry for the odd lead-in.

What's curious is that the CR-194 & the 36-600 classes seem similar not to mention the 1M's.
I haven't really been able to get them all seperated as to skill level/popularity. I'd like to build/race a
boat; where should one start with the aforementioned?

I would like to find plans & instructions for the Peapod from the Model Builder magazine articles published in the '70s.
If I'm not mistaken it was designed by Ken Cashion - his son was a classmate of mine many years ago.

Back in '86 or so I built a Robbe 36/600 - 1M class sailboat. It was a 2-piece molded red lower & white upper contructed hull,
extruded aluminum mast parts (had to cut the mast & booms from stock supplied), and a cast iron keel that was so roughly
cast that I used bondo to smooth the surface before painting/installing. Does anyone remember that kit?

Many thanks,

Bob

Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 PM
skypoodle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CR-194/36-600...1M & Peapod + bonus Robbe question.

Bob-

If you want to build and race a boat, find out what groups are in your area (or easy drive) and see what they are sailing. You want to be sailing the same class as the boats you are sailing against. I wanted to get a Victoria, but the nearest Vic group had disbanded, so I got a CR-914 because that is what the club I eventually joined was sailing. Check out the clubs page on the AMYA site and look for clubs in your area. http://www.modelyacht.org/clublist.html#TX

Hope that helps you in your choice-

Gary
Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi mate i have the plans for the peapod and build instructions send me your email an ill send them.ive built the hull but yet to coplete the build as ive been sidetracked by other projects.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi again,

Many thanks for your answers. The closest club, (Tyler Tx.) sails Star 45 and IOM.
Well, having only built one model boat ~ 20 years ago, I've realized that the Kyosho
Seawind is the choice. The previously mentioned Robbe kit was a lot of work - however it sailed beatifully.

Ordered was said kit, DX6 Spectrum radio, Hitec HS-765HB Sail Arm Servo, and Hitec HS-635HB for the rudder.

I joined the AMYA before ordering...may very well start a club here locally if I can fin a a few like-minded modelers.

Thanks,

Bob

p.s. turns out that the Peapod was designed by Tom Protheroe. Maybe I had Mr. Cashion confused w/a different article/design.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
mahoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to race the seawind try the Les Lacs Club in Dallas. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LLYC/ They have a large class there.

If you like to build, the Star45 has a great set of laser cut frames which makes building a snap.

The IOM is really booming in Texas and we should have a great summer series this year. Unfortionately, these are very expensive and not a great beginner boat.

Mitch