Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

deck construction, planking, HELP

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

deck construction, planking, HELP

Old 01-17-2008, 05:35 PM
androot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deck construction, planking, HELP

Hi sailers. After upgrading Victoria I decided to get into serious stuff and I'm going to build vintage style yacht. Got the hull ready but dont wanna mess up the most visible and representative part which is the deck. Can somebody give me some tips how to fit the planks, trimms, what kind of glue should i use, etc, etc
Thanks a lot
Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 PM
ROADTOAD

Default RE: deck construction, planking, HELP

sent you a PM
Old 01-19-2008, 10:58 AM
coldrolled

Planking is really easy and fun. How you do it depends on the look you want. I did an oiled deck using contact cement. I used DAP Weldwood. Apply the cement to both surfaces and let stand for 20 seconds then place the plank. When all planks are in place, carefully remove all the excess cement, sand, stain and oil. I'm not sure how this method stand up if the deck gets really wet. I have it on a English fishing boat with no problem.

A second method is to use medium CA with a thin styrene or black or white construction paper placed between planks. When using CA be sure to coat the plank edges.

Note that most sailboat deck planking follow the chime not the center line. Start by placing a larger plank down the center line, the deck planks will be cut at an angle against center plank.

A second way to finish the deck is to apply stain, cover with 1/2 to 2 oz fiberglass cloth and resin. Lightly sand, apply more resin, sand and repeat until you get the finish you desire. For a great shine, rub and polish. Shinny decks look great but you will never see it on real sailboats, too slippery.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84676.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	854997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92378.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	854998  
Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
androot

Those boats are AMAZING. I think i'll stick to pararell planks. I was considering to put them starting from the side finishing in the centre (like on the Ranger, 1937). It seems to be more tricky.
Would you recommend any particular type of wood?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 PM
coldrolled

I've used both basswood and mahogany.

If you were to do a scale model of the Ranger the planks would only be 2mm wide if the model is 1m in length. 2m wide planking would be easy to bend along the side, working to the center.

Pictured is a classic sailboat that I built 30 years ago. Also is pictured a canoe with 2mm basswood and mahogany planking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64788.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	855461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65527.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	855462  
Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
androot

Thats the kind of hull i got. I decided to go for straight planks, easier for the beginner, harder to mess up. Anyway, I dont trust the geometry of the hull i bought, and what if the center planks won't be mirrored....
Thanks for your help, i'll be reporting any progress i make
Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 PM
lightning mike

Hello guys, I am building a vintage model from a book by Thomas Moore. I have the hull all done and the keel weight installed. I am now in the paint mode, but I am going to install a 45 degree planked deck. The thing is I don't want to cut and glue all those little planks. So I am going to score some 4" wide basswood about every 1/8" to make it look like planking, then I can lay down the larger sheets of wood and it will look like 1/8" planking. I am thinking about using a reverse pattern about where the hatch is or at midships. The trick of this is getting all the basswood sheets to color match . I am new to forum, how do I put pictures on here?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,
I have a Thomas Moore book called "Build a Winning Model Yacht". Is this the book you are working from? I lofted out and built a Bostonia II hull from the offsets.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:19 AM
lightning mike

Yes, this is the book I am using. How does the Bostonia sail? I am building the class D model that is all through the book. I am to the point of planking the deck now. I built the hull by balsa plank on frame, and fiberglassed it. It weight is about 28 oz. This is the first keel boat I have built, and I am wondering how it will sail, and turn. Did you build yours full sized?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Bostonia has not hit the water as yet, there is still quite a bit of work to be done. The hull has been altered, removing the full keel for a fin and bulb type with a blade rudder. I drew up the plans from the offset chart in the book and laid it out full size. One other thing I did was to create an Excel spread sheet with the offsets and faired the lines as I found some mistakes in the chart. The hull is balsa cored fiberglass. I have to design an internal support system for the keel weight which will be about 26 lbs. I'm going to try to ballast it to get it to the original 36 lb. displacement and 46 in. water line when John Black sailed it to second place at Gosport in 1927.

How's your Class D project doing?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
lightning mike

Hello; I am working on the rigging now. I float tested it in the bathtub, and it floats a little less than the design waterline. I built it as balsa coverd fiberglass and it came out pretty light weight, so I got a little more weight in the keel. The lakes are still all frozen here so I can't put it in yet. Do you have any pictures of yours? How do you put pictures on here?