Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

robbe windstar

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

robbe windstar

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM
punto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default robbe windstar

hi guys,
i am not a boat modeler, i fly airplanes and helicopters but some years ago i bought a robbe windstar with the white hull.i have sailed the model only once.since then it is parked in my garage.now i am thinking of use it again.the first thing i want to do do is to paint the hull yellow.could anyone tell me if thi boat is good enough?where can i find some info,review,hints and tips gor this boat?i also like the thunder tiger one meter etnz.is it better than windstar or it is better to stay with windstar?(i am not thinking of racing)
thanks alot!greetings from greece!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Guiri

Default RE: robbe windstar

The Windstar was produced to be legal under the International One Metre (IOM) class and was based on an old world champion. So despite it's age it should still see off the ETNZ, although it is unlikely to be competitive against modern IOM's. As a matter of interest, painting it will automatically make it ineligible for the IOM class.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: Guiri

The Windstar was produced to be legal under the International One Metre (IOM) class and was based on an old world champion. So despite it's age it should still see off the ETNZ, although it is unlikely to be competitive against modern IOM's. As a matter of interest, painting it will automatically make it ineligible for the IOM class.
The painting only makes it illegal, if you also paint the interior, making it impossible to determen the laminate used.

Being an IOM, she wil most certainly outperform the ETNZ, if set-up properly.

Regards, Jan.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Guiri

I should have seen that Punto was not interested in racing, so it isn't likely to come up on the rules committee[)]
Anyway, it's probably one of the better out of the box kit boats and he'll have plenty of fun with it.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
haraldv8

Hi,
Any suggestions for an alternative to the Windstar?
It will be my first RC sailing boat, until now i have only been doing full scale sailing. I do know that IOM is quite popular here in my area of Norway.
To me it seems as a nice compromise between quality and price, and as a bonus it complies with the IOM rules so that i can at least participare in races as a "backmarker".

Other boats i have found are Thunder Tiger ENTZ and Monsoon 900 but it seems as if they do have a lower quality and more technical problems and failures will occure. Also they dont comply with the IOM rules.

I guess also the smaller sized Windstar sails for stronger wind can be quite usefull.

Any kind of feedback and sugestions for an alternative will be highly appreciated.
BW Harald
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Guiri

To make it IOM legal, you'll have to ensure you get the clear resin hull. It's by far the cheapest kit entry into the class. Any
http://duck.sbmyc.com/kit_ioms.html
One of the more economical alternatives might be:
http://www.rcsegel.de/index1.html
Despite what looks like a carbon mast in the illustation, it's outlawed under IOM rules and should be aluminium.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
bugie

they say victoria is also good. you should take a look at that.. or you can try this carbon version of [link=http://www.twift.com/RC%20Toys%20&%20Hobby/Phantom%201000%20Carbon%20Version%20RC%20Sailboat% 20RTS%20Kit%20(Shunbo).html]Phantom 1000[/link]...

shunbo probably made a few good improvements because of the rough feedback for the Monsoon 900
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM
brainox

the ETNZ really sails well. i've seen a lot sailing when i went to this lake down in florida.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Islander51

Remember the Power!
The A rig on an IOM is aprox. 6000 sq.cm., that's 930 sq.in.
ETNZ...................4800 / 744
Graupner Trueblue.....4700 / 728
Voyager 2.................3990 / 618
Voyager.....................3900 / 605

Now the IOM weighs 4Kg., that's 8.8 Lbs, but remember that this is a Racing class, so all the hulls are designed
to go as fast as possible, and not to look like a full size boat.
IMHO, go with the Windstar, and fit good IOM sails and rig, these only cost a little more than the Robbe ones,
and if you fit c/f fin (with a 2.4 Kg bulb) and rudder then you've got a very good boat.
Brad Gibson won a ranking Championship Event with one set up like this only a couple of years ago!
Good tuning of the rig is essential, but once it's dialed in, they are a real pleasure to drive!

Islander51