Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Voyager.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Thunder Tiger Voyager.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Greysquirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Voyager.

I notice on the ACE Hobby site there is a new Voyager ll, the only difference I can see is it has a fiberglass hull, there may be more, there is no price yet but as the Voyager is now going at a good price, $140, is it a boat worth buying, does anyone sail this boat. I also read on this or some other forum that you can no longer get parts for the Voyager as it is being replaced, is there any parts that can't be made or replaced by generic parts?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 AM
larrykin

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Voyager.

G'day,

I own a Voyager 1M Racing Cup Yacht made by MRP. Now made by Thunder Tiger. Last week I was quoted $AU290 retail for one. I bought mine secondhand from evilbay for $AU160.

In the 3 months since purchase I have replaced everything except the hull, keel and rudder. The original cloth sails were rubbish Don't know about the new improved model but for $140 I would definitely buy one. As long as you are willing to do mods.

Below are some pics in different stages of upgrades -

I've had to install a larger arm servo as well!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38640.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	964074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42166.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	964075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36233.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	964076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14136.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	964077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39605.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	964078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39482.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	964079  
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Guiri

There's a pdf file in post #12 of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767639 with a lot of information about changing a Voyager from a good buy to a good boat.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Greysquirrel

ORIGINAL: Guiri

There's a pdf file in post #12 of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767639 with a lot of information about changing a Voyager from a good buy to a good boat.
Thanks for the link Guiri it will be a big help if I do decide to buy the Voyager.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: Greysquirrel

I notice on the ACE Hobby site there is a new Voyager ll, the only difference I can see is it has a fiberglass hull, there may be more, there is no price yet but as the Voyager is now going at a good price, $140, is it a boat worth buying, does anyone sail this boat. I also read on this or some other forum that you can no longer get parts for the Voyager as it is being replaced, is there any parts that can't be made or replaced by generic parts?
The 'new' Voyager II is the ETNZ (fiberglass) hull in plain white, with another rig.
Judging by the pics, they used the same rubbish-white-with-blue-print cloth as on the First ABS Voyager.

With a certain amount of work, I'm sure this white hull can be made as 'good' as the original ETNZ...
Personally I like the 12M ABS Voyager better.

I'd like to be able to sail together with a well tuned ETNZ sometimes, to see the differences.

As for spare parts, once you have the Voyager, everything can be replaced by the items you make yourself, you're a builder, remember...
Let me know if you want my Word file with the Voyager mods (+ pics).

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96870.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	964295