Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

ODOM vs US1M ?

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

ODOM vs US1M ?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM
gpzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODOM vs US1M ?

Totaly new to sailing here and I was wondering what are the main differences in a odom and a US1m? Two differnent class boats yet they can race against each other when ? What about speed wise ?

Manny
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM
hiljoball

Default RE: ODOM vs US1M ?

The ODOM is a single design that was originally a US1M. I think it is based on the Mistral design. It is raced as a strict one design but can also be US1M eligible. But a US1M cannot be an ODOM as it does not come from a class certified mold.

As the ODOM is a 'locked in' design, it is possible that developments in the much more open US1M class could allow them to be faster.

And then there is IOM. With much more sail and a heavier balast making for a more powerful boat, the IOM is faster again in most conditions.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:46 PM
gpzy

Default RE: ODOM vs US1M ?

Thanks for the info John. Although I do not plan on racing I was wondering how the different classes vary. I will stick with my V32 and Footy for awhile.'

Manny