Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

maltese falcon replica build?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

maltese falcon replica build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Jason233
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maltese falcon replica build?

so i'm an experienced modeler and career engineer, but I mostly stick to airplanes and I had the inspiration to build a model of the maltese falcon sail yacht, the hull seems straight forward enough but my main concern is how to rig the sails. ill be honest besides an electric speed boat when i was younger, i have had absolutely no boating experience and i was wondering if any of you more experienced folks had any ideas/advice about how the sail rigging could be designed. for one thing i was wondering, is there any existing model sailboat that has the ability to stow and deploy its sail via remote control? the ships website explains in detail how the sails work under the design concepts tab, however i don't completely understand how they did it, it seems to be able to deploy its sails by the flip of a switch whereas i think 18th century warships would have men climb the mast to untie and loose the sails?

anyway basically my dilemma in designing this ship would be how to design the sail rigging, if someone could take a look at the explanation on the ships site and weigh in with any ideas as to how that might translate into a model that would be great, i was thinking an electric motor with a screw jack? a link to the ship's website is below to give you a better idea of what i'm asking

[link=http://www.symaltesefalcon.com/index2.asp]Maltese Falcon[/link]

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
jaelon

Default RE: maltese falcon replica build?

This Maltese Falcon thread may help some:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=maltese
Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Jason233
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: maltese falcon replica build?

thanks! wow yea there's a lot of good ideas on there