Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sail Winch discovery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sail Winch discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Morspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail Winch discovery

Ok so it was not lost, but thanks to a forum link provided by idealist , I just found a sail winch which seems to good to be true, has any one out there tried these and know where to get them in NZ or Australia??

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...Available%2521

Tis much better than a Futaba or Hitic 785HB, tis aluminium case and waterproof it seems ??.

Cheers

Gary
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
SIRI

Default RE: Sail Winch discovery

Hi Gary,
thanks for the link - the price rocks - we should check out this amazing winch

Cheers
Phanchita
Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Morspeed

Yep Sirit, just done some checking

@6v

Hitec 785hb 360 degrees @ 1.4 sec, 13.2 kgcm stall torque

Eugle 360 degrees 0.9 sec , 9.8 kgcm stall torque

The eugle is about 30 grams lighter and physically a little smaller...they also have a full metal gear version for a little more money.

Sooo, a lot faster but a sacrifice in torque but I think there is a way to increase torque by the sheeting arrangement.

I would like to hear from someone who uses these winches for a first hand account.

I am no expert in electronics so need some advice from techo people...really keen to buy one though and have a play..just need to find a local supplier.

Gary
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

From the site -

Features:

Coreless Motor

500,000 Cycles Potentiometer Life

2pcs Bearing Ball

Resin and Heavy Duty Resin GEAR

Standard Spline for Futaba style horns

250mm, 24AWG Connector for Futaba gold Hitec
Heat Sink (Aluminium middle box)
Toilets Resistance

Curious about the "Toilets Resistance"??? Has it gained something in the translation?
It mentions elsewhere in the spec that it has "6 turns". The actual limit on a normal TX might be nearer 2 turns. The sensing pot will likely have 270deg travel, and normally only the middle 90deg gets used. It still looks a good bit of kit for the priced, though.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Morspeed

Yep, I have since found a english version of product description...toilet resistance= water resistance..hnmmmm..they actually have a pic of it in a glass of water.

I had wondered about the 6 turn business..I get 3 turns from my 785HB with a spektrum DX3.

Gary
Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
TBK

Gary

Looks too good to be true based on price alone. It shipd out directly from Hong Kong so I'm not surprised. Given the cheap cost I may order one just to test it out or use it as a replacement for the HITEC winch in one of my boats. The Futaba winch is set up to go 6 revolutions and I'll be that this winch is a "copy" of that design.

TBK
Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
tatolazo

Hi Guys:

Your are right...TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE I got 2 of the first winch servos at that web site. they turn as much as mi hi tech 785 winch. it is faster and have more torque...but....the diameter of the drum os around 10 to 20% smaller...that is why you got more torque, but as the travel is less...finally the sheet to sails will move at the same speed as with the hi tech winch.

Now the worst part:

The sound like the teeth in the interior are borken, extremely noisy andn the y SHAKE all the time, oscilating up to 10º each side...imposible to get them steady.

I triple check this with my sailboat, just unplugged the great hi tech 785 and plugged the uerle...whata desilusion, noisy ans shaky....the sails move like having a epilepsia attack!!!

after a whole afternoon plugging and unplugging, changin Rx , Rx battery pack, antena position, i quitted...the servos are now at the rear end of my workshop and i don´t wnat to see them anymore...

unless somebody tell me if there is a chance to avoid the shaking feature... but if we consider the servo price, shipping, the time invested in any upgrade ( that will be to let it as a regular normal well prooved servo, so no real upgrade) and the cost of additional items...I will stick to Hi tech winch for your local hobby shop.

Would you like to be mr. "DNF" or SDNS" every weekend?? I am not, so take this bad experience as quick as i could and move on...

This made me think about get the 2.4 radio system from this shop or from www.hobbycity, that seems to be same radio, but at least rom hobby city 2.4 system i got good comments from many people. sadly hobbycity does not stock any winch.

But...what do you think about this, with arm or drum:

http://www.servocity.com/html/spg425..._rotation.html

I think if you got a lighter hull, you could try one of these and avoid gluing aboard just dead Pb.

Hope to be useful

Tato Lazo.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Morspeed

Tato Lazo,

Thankyou for detailed answers...you just saved me some hard earned cash...back to the Hitec 785 for me for now.

Did you discover anything about the flat wire??..this interests me also.

Cheers

Gary

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
tatolazo

Hi:

dreamwakes, about flat wire rigging nobody ansswered yet. But is well known that all the pros usually use flat stainless steel wire in their rigging. At barbados many people use it.
Argentinan champions that are coming in October at the Sudamerican Championship told us that many competitors at barbados were using it and they will make a kind of disetration of the new kind of rigging seen at the World Championship.

I am a kind of dealer of isobaryachts products and Todd sells the flat wire for rigging that is .75mm wide and 0.2 mm thick i guess.

Anyway, from my experience i think this kind of wire could help in setting the mast curve, avoiding undesired movements at the upper section of the mast. , wich means that the lower half does not shake that much either.

For the moment I still use in the boats i am building round 0.5 mm SS wire, that is more than enought bfor stays.

Good winds

Tato Lazo.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Morspeed

Todd makes my sails , I will ask him about the flat wire..I too use round and this is fine..(but I am not pro racer)..but always interested in new ideas.

Do you use solid round or stranded wire rope for your rigging??

Cheers

Gary
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
tatolazo

Gary:

I a using solid SS 0.5 mm wire, I have found very nice 1000´of 7 strand plastic covered fishing line in black color tested over 60 lbs, at U$ 70 +/-, but the shipping they charge me to Chile is as much money as the spool. If I add taxes...is more convenient stick to my local wire supplier....

I got the A and B rig from Todd, but i need to build my ultimate IOm to rig it on!.

Tato Lazo
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
manta29

thanks for doing the research Tato for us, nobody wants epileptic sails[8D]