Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Been maintaining this vintage boat for ages, nobody around here knew what it is. ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Been maintaining this vintage boat for ages, nobody around here knew what it is. ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 AM
projct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been maintaining this vintage boat for ages, nobody around here knew what it is. ideas?

I've been maintaining and running this with my dad for years but nobody could tell me who makes it... is it custom?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89715.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1266242  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Been maintaining this vintage boat for ages, nobody around here knew what it is. ideas?

It's a Soling 50, a recognized AMYA class. FMI go to http://www.modelyacht.org
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 AM
RodCarr

Default RE: Been maintaining this vintage boat for ages, nobody around here knew what it is. ideas?

I'd not be surprised to learn that you have an older Vortex Model Engineering SOLING. Boat is 50" long? Vortex was an early provider of paneled sails, and did lots of them in bright colors. Hull form, keel configuration and rudder all fit the SOLING pattern. What does the deck look like? Is there a molded coaming on the deck forward of the mast? Rod Carr
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM
thorsail

Nice ! the fall 2009 issue of Model Yachting magazine from the AMYA just featured the Soling 50 in that issue # 157 .
If you have any documentation that shows your boat is hull #5 you really got something there . It looks in pristine condition .
Hope you have enjoyed sailing that with your Dad .
Like the others said - 50" loa and it's a Soling 50 , 39.37" long and it's a Soling 1 Meter .

Allan
Old 09-03-2009, 05:01 AM
sailtwister

It looks like a first generation Vortex Soling from the early 70's. The second generation boats had aluminum spars and a two part keel made from aluminum and lead castings that were pinned together, while the first generation boats had spruce spars and cast iron keels. Laminated inside the hull there should be a fabric label with the Vortex logo and a construction ID number. Vortex Solings are excellent boats, I had one of the first ones in So. Florida back in the early 1970's, and I wish I hadn't sold it. Whereabouts in Ft. Lauderdale do you sail? I'm in Oakland Park and have been looking for other R/C sailors in the area with little luck. I used to sail at Baptist Hospital Lake in Miami when I lived there, but it's too long a drive now. I have a Footy (12" long) that's down for repair at the moment, but when I was sailing it, I sailed at a park just North of Commercial Blvd on Prospect Road.

Nice Boat!

Bill