Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

WTB 1 Meter Sail Boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

WTB 1 Meter Sail Boat

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Harald1966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB 1 Meter Sail Boat

Where can I find good boats?
New or used?

How much should I spend on my first sail boat without radio?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM
thorsail

Default RE: WTB 1 Meter Sail Boat

Hi Harald
The usual first step is to decide what you want to do with your boat -casual and fun sailing or perhaps racing against other boats ?
there are a TON of boats in that size range , you can use the search feature on this or other sites to find specific threads about a boat
you might be interested in .
If racing is your bag , I always send people to the American Model Yachting Association ( AMYA ) website at www.theamya.org
there you will find info/comparisons on all the supported racing classes - PLUS a club locator - look up your state and find clubs in
your area . go visit them , ask questions , see the boats "in person" . chances are someone will let you take a test sail .
Then you need to decide if you want to build , buy "ready to sail" , or used . each of those choices has pluses and minuses .
Again , what you spend kinda depends on what you want to do - for a couple hundred you can get many different types of ready to
sail boats , and these days there are Asian "generic" 2.4 ghz radios for like $60. And of course , the other end of the spectrum are
the carbon fiber one meter class boats for $1500. and $ 500. radios . so .
Don't worry , you will get plenty of GOOD advice here - these guys really know their stuff , and are very helpful.
good luck !

Allan
Old 11-20-2009, 04:02 AM
Harald1966

As stated in the heading, I'm looking for a boat for The International One Metre Class.
I am trying to get it as RTR as possible, new or used.
I might join a race or two, but the main thing is that it need to be affordable. I will be joining some friends for laid back sailing now and then. They all got IOM boats.

So please give me a few options.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
GLX

Hi,

If you're in the US you should find what you're looking for herehttp://onemetre.sbmyc.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15
This is the US IOM forum with boats for sale.

The class rules allow for 3 rigs but to be honest once you have the top and mid rig you're sorted for 98% of wind conditions.

For the electrics most of us use the RMG winchhttps://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/and 2.4Ghz spektrum trani and receiver.

Hope this helps

You can check our IOM class website for all information related to the class. www.iomireland.org

Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Harald1966

Thank you!

Anything else I should know?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM
GLX

Hi, sorry your question is too generic but if you look at this section of our websitehttp://www.iomireland.org/boatclass.html
You'll find a lot of information.

here are a list of reputable boat builderhttp://www.iomireland.org/boat%20designers.html

But if you have any other question i'll be glad to help...
Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 AM
smallr

Harald,
As you seem set on the IOM, I'd suggest that you search just that at theamya.org as well as class web sites.
Also, keep an eye on Ebay and Craigs List if you want a used one. Friends have had success with finding
good 1-M SeaWinds these as well as others. You didn't mention if you enjoy building, or not. A decent, and popular, less-expensive and easy to build and modify kit is the Thunder Tiger Victoria. You may start a new class there. Good luck and happy sailing.
Ron
Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 PM
GLX

Hi Again,

You should also check Sirit's website he has fantastic IOM designs therehttp://www.rcsails.com/iom.htm

Enjoy
Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
fvracerone1

I have regretfully put up my Saber US1M. Designed by bantock, it is extremely competetive and is capable of winning the national Championship. At the last Nationals in Michigan, this boat was fifth after the first day out of 21 boats. Boat is listed on Ebay and starting price is 500.00 for a very fast boat.....

Frank
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Albert1234

Thank you GLX,
The link that you published is a big help to me. It will be an additional resources for me.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
shelden3

Hi,
Not sure if you found a boat or not. But we have a group here in the OKC area that sails the 1st and 3rd sunday of every month (pending weather). We sail in Yukon which isn't far from Edmond. We sail the
Victoria and the EC12.

I would encourage you to come out and join us, we will put a radio in your hand let you give it a try.

I would also say that it is not really a lot of fun to be the only guy with your type of boat, we are not a serious race group, very loose knit and low key just have fun types. With that being said come out and see us, see what the Victoria can offer and the EC12 (bigger than a 1m). When I first started this over 10 years ago I did just that, went and got a boat and sure enough I was the only guy with my class boat, got real boring quick.

Feel free to msg me I'll get back with you.

Charlie