Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

tandem SC servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

tandem SC servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tandem SC servos

Has anyone used tandem (linked) standard size servos to serve a an SCU ??? I checked with the folks at Servo City and they allowed that their Servo Spreader item could feed two servos. The use of two servos would offer some redundancy, a little more flexibility in weight distribution, better able to meet space available and offer the added benefit of being able to control end points and centering. Any experience really be appreciated.

BTW, I noticed in reading dated posts that some folks have asked about modifying standard servos to swing 180* . For those folks interested, a definative article on the subject was written by Richard Carignan and published in the November 1998 issue of MODEL AVIATION . The article is thorough and includes diagrams and how-to photos. He discusses neutral offset angle/resistor values. I know there are a number of other sources on the subject....Mr. Carignan's article adds to the body of info.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
jaelon

Default RE: tandem SC servos

Graupner Trueblue uses two ganged sail servos. I haven't used it, but for pics see
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7065732
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: tandem SC servos

Thanks jaelon......that's exactly the type of flexible application! Although I hadn't figured what a side-by-side arrangement might be. The arrangement I had in mind for my application was one in the bow and one about mid-ship, connected by a 4-40 rod.

Incidently, one of the aspects discussed in Richard Carignan's article that I didn't mention is the giant holding power yielded by 180* at the fully (or nearly) rotated. The numbers he quotes are about 59.4 ounces of force ( based on the old Futaba 3003) at neutral, growing to 84 ounces at 45* ....and as the servo reaches an over-locked condition, the power is whatever the strength of the material the servo is made of, and the strength of the installation.....with very little increase in actuating (current) load.

That's an aspect that I haven't seen mentioned in other items I've read.

Anyway, thanks for the pix.