Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Jib Boom

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Jib Boom

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
wkent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jib Boom

New to RC sailing dont even have boat yet, building IACC120 NZL-92. This may have already been asked and answered, if so I was unable to find the answer.

My question. Why is the jib club boom so much in favor and not a hoyt style boom?

My initial thoughts are, the hoyt style boom offers much more. realistic, forestay, no need for jib topping lift.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Jib Boom

What is a hoyt style boom?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:58 PM
RodCarr

It may have something to do with the need to build a very strong bit of underdeck framework to hold the spar, and to provide a means of low friction ability to turn, plus the boom itself needs to be very stiff, so all in all looks like a bunch of weight crowded out at the end of the boat that doesn't help pitching moment, or yawing moment either. They have been tried in several R/C classes, and after a bit of experimenting traded in on the more traditional counterbalanced jib club with topping lift.

Rod Carr
AMYA #2
Old 12-20-2009, 06:33 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

On any model yacht the need is for everything above water to be light. It also has to be strong enough to stand up to the forces imposed. In the case of moving parts, they also have to be free running/swivelling. Being on a remotely controlled model, it needs to be capable of operation without on-board attention.
The conventional jib setup as used by the racing lads has become conventional because it works very well. The semi balanced jib boom with both leech and luff lines maintains a constant sail shape, is self tacking, and makes a forestay redundant. It also does not need an excessively engineered swivel.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM
wkent

Thank you for the input. For those who don't know I have attached an outline of what a Hoyt Style Jib Boom might look like.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52202.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1338138  
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Like I said, a lot of extra work adding un-needed complication and weight to do the same job as something that has been proven to work.