Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

servo contact cleaner

Hi.
    In case of water aboard, what contact cleaner would you recomend for cleaning and drying the servos??

WD 40 is to oily. and sme others are too strong destroying inner circuitry or small plastic pieces.
    It seems to me that radio Shack could have some, but have you tryed them???

Hope you can help.

Tato Lazo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: servo contact cleaner

I Sail in salty water, so I not only have to get rid of wet, but salt as well.
    I rinse in clean water to lose contaminants, then wash with rubbing alcohol to remove the residual water, and allow to dry, preferably in moving air, for a day or so. No extra heat. To help waterproofing afterwards I use WD40 because it leaves a waxy deposit. The only moving contact parts are inside the pot and the motor. Usually I just hope that these are cured by the water and alcohol, if not I get a new servo and try not to dunk it again. The motor brushes, being metal, will live through an application of WD40. Avoid anything containing silicon - this will contaminate any light electrical contact. It will then contaminate anything that you use to clean it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For what it's worth....I remember, back in the day, when one could get hands on Freeon gas, a hobby shop owner advised submerging an opened servo in a jar of Freeon in order to displace moisture. Sure sounds as if it would work, BUT, if the EPA asks, you didn't hear it from me!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi:
    Of course there is also the chance of isopropilic alcohol, but somebody show me a spray in a green bottle wich i tested in my fingers and it leave not oily residues at all and displaced moisture very well.

For the moment the best will be not to sink the boat!!

Tatolazo