Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite boat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Do you have a favorite boat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:51 AM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a favorite boat?

I don't think I do. Depending on the day, we'll sail EC12's, Star 45's or Fairwinds. One guy has nothing but a wee, old boat (about 21") and just finished a Fairwind, so he's got the Fairwind in the water all the time. He's learning to tweak, and it's getting faster continuously. So - we feel a little guilty and tend to throw our Fairwinds in a little more than we otherwise would.

On light breeze days, the EC12's go in. On windy days - the Stars. Nobody has multiple rigs yet, so we're changing boats.

We have a weedy pond, so the EC12's usually get the nod, but if it's breezy, the fin/rudder boats are able to drag back a salad behind them....otherwise they get stuck.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:45 AM
ec12-1582

Hi Rob,

Needless to say EC12's are my first choice, and as I'm working on getting the Northwind 36 sanctioned, that's my second.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:12 AM
RobStagis

Yo, Chris . The guy I mentined in the first post is building a Northwind, but I don't know what size. I'll check with him tonight. Any caveats to the kit? Stuff to ignore, etc.,?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
ec12-1582

Hi Rob,

All kinds of caveats. Keel strength, servo upgrading, etc.

Have your friend visit our group on Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Northwind36-600/

We have about 300 messages concerning build technics, problem areas, etc. Also links to a site that specializes in Northwind upgrades. (Sails, Carbon Masts, booms and goosenecks)

Chris
Old 07-11-2003, 03:53 PM
ec12-1582

I do have one more favorite. THe J Boat. The opportunity to see one up close at our recent regatta (EC12's-one of our competitors brought his new toy). Absolutely fabulous boat. Very similar in sailing characteristics as an EC12, but at triple the granduer. We were sailing in about 10kts. While I was well heeled at 25 to 30 degrees, this boat was perhaps at 15 Degrees. When the J had the pond to itself, it looked slow and stable. After I put my 12 in, the difference in speed was increadible. The J was at least 2 and half times the speed of my 12 at any point of sail. My 12 looked smaller than a one meter in comparison.

Now if I can only save up 25K for a new 8ft bed truck to haul it in(mine is only 6.5) I'll get one. (I guess I could go on the cheap and get a 10ft closed trailer, but still another 3 grand before the boat.) Oh well, time to check those loteery tickets.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:25 PM
RobStagis

Agreed. I saw the Nationals in Mystic last year, and when they pulled them out the EC12's started. *sigh* Our beautiful, graceful EC12's looked like bathtub toys after the J's.

Those J guys race, too!!! I thought it'd be more 'refined' or something - stupid me. I know at one point the skippers got 'talked to' about over aggressive racing and I did see one T-bone. My favorite memory was these 2 boats reaching, with the windward's boat's boom overhanging the deck of the leeward one... It was like a ballet.

We've got a guy in the club scratcvh-building a standard J and, at the same time, building a 5-foot hull. He's using plans he got from Mystic Seaport somehow.....
Old 07-11-2003, 04:45 PM
ec12-1582

Hey Rob,

Actually, the top three finishers for the J nationals, Brawner, West, and Kjelburg are all EC12 sailors. Brawner was the EC12 2001 National Champ and runner up in 2002 nationals, and is also the premier EC12 hull builder. Rick West (owner of the J boat I saw at our regatta) is the publisher of www.EC12.info building site. Super group of sailors.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Fairwind

Default RE: Do you have a favorite boat?

Hi Guys,

I have a Ocean 500, 3 Fairwinds, Victoria Thunder Tiger, IOM, Windancer, 2 Footy's and a Soling 50 in my work room. In terms of Favorite I enjoy the IOM if I were sailing alone. I have seen J boats but not sure I would want to haul something that big to the pond. I have sailed the Tomahawk it is also a good boat but too long to carry easily for me.

For a beginner all of these r/c sailboats can be pleasure to sail. In choosing a boat you should check your local ponds, and local hobby stores and see what the other guys in your area are sailing. If the guys at the pond are sailing a Northwind 36, and you buy a different kind of boat you just won't have as much fun. Having the same kinds of boats you can race and see if what you did made a difference.

http://fairwind900.home.comcast.net/

Rick
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
LarryLudwig

Default RE: Do you have a favorite boat?

I guess I am following the herd here... since mine are the EC-12's and J boats. I started with the EC-12 and have always loved it. When I played board games with my Dad as a kid, he always played the hardest games he could find. No spinners or dice if possible.. so that it was decided by your moves not luck. I always felt that the EC-12 was the same way. ANY ONE can sail an EC-12, but it is difficult to sail it WELL. The J boats are much the same. I am lucky enough to have 4 J boats and I think they are the most beautiful boats on the water... and HEY.... you do NOT need an 8' truck bed to move them around... I carry them in the back of my Bronco (*2 at a time) and you can also carry them in a 6' bed pickup because of the overhang (which is considerable!) Something the J boats offer that most classes do not is the ability to pick your sail plan from any that was used by the actual boat. We are planning or producing hulls/kits for RANGER, RAINBOW, SHAMROCK V, and Endeavor II if the J bug bites you.

A trailer is an even better idea since you can get so much more done and save multiple trips to the pond hauling boats (but this isn't for everyone) I always enjoyed the S/B and Soling from VORTEX because they were so well made and solid performers but.... they were slow compared to boats of the time and even more so now. The heavy displacement hulls that we made back in the `80's were gorgeous as are the J boats, but they have no organized following. The Newport 12 meter, a large heavy boat was strong out in Arizona for a while, but I have not heard from them in some time.

The new "A" Class boats are going to really be something, a cross between 10R and J boat I think. Large, expensive, and not many of them around... hopefully they will overcome.

The formula boats never really interested me... 36/600, 50/800 and 10R... that is until I was in England and bought a 10R. Just the pure speed was too much fun. They all sail very similarly with deep ribbon keels hanging lead bulbs, they are stiff and are more driven than sailed compared to the keel boats. Tacking the boat was never given a 2nd thought the way it is in a keel boat.