Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Model of a 1800's Schooner R/C?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Model of a 1800's Schooner R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 03:53 AM
sailboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model of a 1800's Schooner R/C?

I have spent the last 7 months constructing a late 1800's two masted schooner called the "Pride". I started with some study plans out of a library book and sized them up and even took the liberty of altering the plans a little. I then constructed a frame from birch plywood and planked it. After sanding the hull to shape I then fiberglassed it. The deck is also planked. The ship is a dark blue with off-white detailing. The deck is varnished to look like mahogany and all of the superstructures are present. It has a 750 sq. inch rig. The boat is appr. 40 inches in length without bowsprit and about 52 inches with the bowsprit. The two masts stand at 48 inches each and carry the 750 sq. inches of sail. It has a two channel radio, one channel on the sail winch and one on the rudder. The ship looks quite impressive on the water and handles fairly well in light wind. The question I have about this ship is how much is it worth if I were to sell it? The other question I have is would there be a market for something like this? I have made it a hobby to construct and sell different R/C sailboats and other types of scale boats but I have never tried to build and sell anything like this. Any feedback about this topic would be much appreciated. I do have pictures but will not be able to post them until Wendnesday or Thursday. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94498_41173.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	53678  
Old 07-14-2003, 09:09 AM
RobStagis

Check the Web. There IS a market for things like this, and some companies have listings. I think modelsailboats.com is one, but I'm not sure. Personally, I think they're worth about $1000 US just as a sailing boat. When you throw in the 'collectible' value, they should only go up. Hit the R/C sailing clubs.....
Old 07-14-2003, 06:05 PM
RC-Archer

Sailboater, Probably the best way find the value of your boat is to put it on Ebay with a high reserve and start the bidding at $1.00. I find that generally (unless somebody starts a bidding war) most items sell for fair market value on Ebay.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:33 AM
sailboater

I have listed this boat on ebay. If anyone is interested in bidding the item number is 3139231351. Maybe I will find out here how much it is worth.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:53 PM
RC-Archer

Well, I gotta tell ya that is a beautiful boat!!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:56 AM
webskipper

I noticed bidding ended in the high $500's and it's worth more than that for sure. Folks can buy a Mary J. Ward kit from Victor Models for about $425, but then you've got to put all the time into building and detailing.

Several great pics of MJW's at the MJW Yahoo Group , here's one

But Again, the "Pride" is worth WAY more as a finished boat...
It's a beaut!
Maybe you should contact the Southern California Schooner Fleet if you're still selling it.