Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Retrieving a sailboat...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Retrieving a sailboat...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Brewerpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrieving a sailboat...

I got a Tippecanoe T27 kit last spring and finally got around to starting the build a month or so ago. It's coming along very nicely and I hope to be able to launch it fairly soon, if I can shoehorn build time in between my other projects.

One thing that's been on my mind is how to get a boat back if it becomes becalmed, the keel hangs up in shallows, etc. Our pond has a pretty mucky bottom and I am not sure if wading is an option. I was considering a cheap casting fishing pole setup with some sort of weighted grappling hook to snare the rigging. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
thorsail

Default RE: Retrieving a sailboat...

Hi Paul
A couple of considerations : How large is the pond you want to sail at , if it is pretty small then a thrown or cast system will work .
for instance , a fairly large treble hook , with the pointy ends cut off and a few split shot weights on the line cast from any garage
sale fishing pole could work . you can also use something light like those mason line spools sold at home centers , attached to a
hook , or you can make a nifty little grapnel out of dollar store knitting needles and whip that out there by hand .
but the real fun is having a nice rc electric power boat for rescue work . this can be almost anything - the considerations are the bigger
the pond and/or the more wind you just need more power and control . but either way the system works the same way , a light line
is attached to the power boat , you need a few over size fishing bobbers for floatation on the line right behind the boat - the idea is
to motor out to the disabled sailboat , circle it ( this is why you need the bobbers) and on purpose entangle the two craft .
then shut off the motor boat and pull the line in by hand . ok , depending on a lot of factors this works best - a sailboat aint easy
to tow , wind is a factor and waves - you need a lot of power to tow something - all you really need to do is get a line out to the
stricken vessel and then pull it back to shore . this would also work for you since your T27 has a fin keel with the bulb on it - ought
to be easy to get a line around it .
have fun with your new sailboat !

Allan
Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Just a small addon to thorsail's method - the rescue boat is best if it big enough to stand being whacked by the yacht. In calm conditions, it shouldn't be a problem, but you really want it to stay afloat during the rescue. Obviously it needs a good enough radio to have the range to get there.
If its a small enough pond, and unobstructed, just walking round it trailing a floating line will snag it and let you pull it in. The rescue boat is much more fun, though.
Another trick is to scull the yacht using the rudder. Waggle it about a bit, then leave the rudder set for your preferred new heading. The rudder action can often give enough way to allow a new heading, and since there is almost always moving air even when you thing its perfectly still, the sails might find something useful on the new heading.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 AM
lipdaddy

This what I use to retrieve my 1m sailboat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58821.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1402719  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think consideration may also need be given to why you need to retrieve the sailboat. I have had to rescue mine twice because it was caught on obstructions (one a branch snagged a stay - the other - a root caught the bulb) that required being on the water with a dinghy to recover it. Using a hook or rc rescue boat would not have helped in either instance (though it would have worked in others).
Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 PM
lipdaddy

^^^Good point. I always have my tug in the car and if the wind dies it's a fun challenge to go out and push it in. Plus it seems like someone with a nitro or gas boat is always upside down and can use a little help.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
JayDee1

Hello,

I use a Tennis Ball, attached to a strong, but light Line.
When a sailboat gets stuck on mud, or the opposite bank of a lake.

Lay the Line, which is attached to the ball, on the ground, in loops so it will follow the ball when it is thrown.
Throw the ball AT the boat, aim for the Sails.
When you hit the Sails, the ball will usually get tangled with the Rigging, and the boat can then be pulled to shore.
I have used this method for many years, and is very easy to do !!.

John.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Brewerpaul

I got a Tippecanoe T27 kit last spring and finally got around to starting the build a month or so ago. It's coming along very nicely and I hope to be able to launch it fairly soon, if I can shoehorn build time in between my other projects.

One thing that's been on my mind is how to get a boat back if it becomes becalmed, the keel hangs up in shallows, etc. Our pond has a pretty mucky bottom and I am not sure if wading is an option. I was considering a cheap casting fishing pole setup with some sort of weighted grappling hook to snare the rigging. I'm open to suggestions.

Some guys fasten a tennis ball to a casting fishing pole. Cast it over the boat and hope the line snags something on the hull. Don't hit the boat though :-).

Regards,
Bill
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
TINYDANCER

Go to the web and find Vac-U-Boat...he has a nice tug that I use for recovery boat for my T-37 & T-45 schooner. I put 12 foot of fly fishing line with a tennis ball and it works great and will pull just about anything even under sail. It was fun to build and it is great to have a the pond for other to play with.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

I have found the best recovery plan is to have a well equipped rescue crew with me at all times. As the photos below indicate, I have a one team member for surface recoveries and another for below the surface recovery.
There are less expensive methods as some of the fellows have suggested. I posted a few of the more tradtional recovery methods as a contrast
Boomer

Name:	Xv63747.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1742028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15456.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1742029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59031.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1742030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96094.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1742031  
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 PM
new2rcboating

Hi Boomer ,

If those ladies form your personal retrieval team , them it gives great reason to hop on a plane and head for the beautiful state of California and check your team out for myself - oh yeah and do some R/C Sailing ( lol ) ....

Brad
Oz
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 AM
boomer1
My Feedback: (1)

Brad
I just ordered a "Southhampton Tug" to use as another potential rescure vessel. They are being soldby "Wal-mart" on line for a very resonable price $129.00 UDS. I don't know if Wal-mart ships out of the US but this is the best price I have seen on this boat. From reading about this particular model that Wal-mart is selling there are few "tweaks" it will need to make get it tomore sea worthy status.
Here is a link to the forum I mentioned. It has some good information for anyone interested in getting one. The prices was too good to pass up. It took a while to get one as they sell out their stock almost daily.
Here is a link to the Wal-mart web page and another to the rcgroups.com forum on these boats.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ARCTIC-Aqu...-Boat/20606546
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1387454&page=7

I like the Altantic Tug too- I believe both products are sold around the globe and suspect are sold "down under".

Here are the specification published on this little tug:
Specifications:
Full-Function Digital Proportional
Length 560mm = 22.0472441 inches.
Width 195mm
Height 285mm
Scale 1/36

SPECS:
Length: 30.3" (770mm)
Width: 9.8" (250mm)
Height: 19" (483mm)