Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Drum sail winch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Drum sail winch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 AM
sailit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum sail winch

Can someone help me in providing a Layout for a Drum Winch.
I' have got this yacht which has never been set up on the sails,I'm not even sure if I can use the drum winch it
would bebetter but I think an arm system will be easier, but I really fancy using the drum winch,
I think there are a few different layouts

Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Drum sail winch

Go here. http://www.radiosailing.org.uk/. Find a club that's close to your home and talk to the guys at the pond. You can see the different winch set ups and get some ideas on what you want to do.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

What size of boat?  If the boat is the right size, a sail arm will likely be the right answer for simplicity.
I have just been looking at a mates schooner where the previous owner had fitted a large powerful winch.  Far too much travel for the sails, a total determination to actually use that travel (no fancy programmable transmitter available), and enough power to destroy its mounts when it did.  Simple answer is going to be to fit a standard size high torque servo.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
sailit

Well I think I'm well over an arm version its on a 10 rater, I'm very happy with a drum since I have one lined up for it,I really want to get a few layout because its a Ex Vane yacht so I'm going to have problems anyway I just need to apply the drum winch the best way possible.
Thanks for your input
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

My personal favourite way of doing the job is to have the winch below deck, use a double drum, and a continuous loop.  Starting from the lower part of the drum and assuming that the sails are fully in, there would be however many turns the winch would offer plus a bit for luck, then through a fairlead facing sternward, round a pulley or similar at the stern, then forward in a straight line to a pulley near the mast, back to another pulley near the stern, another fairlead and back to the upper drum.  The take-off for the sail booms would be in the run just forward of the 1st pulley, and would be two single lines, one to each boom via whatever type of guide you prefer.  A tension link (or rubber band as most people call it) lives in the loop just forward of the take-off.  The straight run needs to be the max let-out distance of the booms + the max length of the tension link + a bit for Murphy's law.
Some favour a single drum and a simple line, but I have always run into tangling problems - while it is probably impossible to design a reliable simple knot-tying machine, it it virtually impossible to avoid creating one without a great deal of engineering excellence.  My hat off to those who manage it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
JayDee1

Goodbye

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 AM
8387mike

Try the RMG website
http://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/rmg/p...rGuide0510.pdf
Half way through it shows how to set up a winch