Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

sailboating in or near indiana, pa

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

sailboating in or near indiana, pa

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
hsink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sailboating in or near indiana, pa

hi,
does anyone sail in or near indiana, pa
Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 AM
lightning mike

Default RE: sailboating in or near indiana, pa

Hello; Where and what do you sail?

Mike
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Al Stein

Yep.

Oh, you probably wanted more info than that... there's an EC12 club in State College that has a few other types of boats, too, and there's an R/C boat club around ligonier that has everything from Footys and RG65s to sqaure rigged ships and electric boats, too.

Then there's unaffiliated folks peppered throughout the area... they're just not as easy to locate. I'm in Johnstown and did business in Indiana till very recently... glad to help you find a way to get together with some of the folks or whatever....
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
hsink

hi,
i did not think i was ever going to get a reply from anyone. i bought a victoria and whould like some help when it is assembled to get me started. i live in creekside, pa and work in indiana, pa.

thanks for any help you can give me
thanks
harry
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Al Stein

I guess it's been weeks since you first posted... I don't get to RCUniverse anywhere near as much as I used to, so the other day was the first time I saw the post.

I sailed a Victoria owned by one of the others down by Ligonier (that's the Lake Arch Model Yacht Club) and I was very impressed. It sails very well and a lot of people have them. You're up past shelocta more or less? I'm trying to think whether you'd be closer to Yellow Creek State Park or to the Lake arch place... that's a real small lake, which is kinda nice for sailing a new boat or something that hasn't been out for a while. Or if there are usable lakes closer to you they should be fine.

Would you like to get together aand go over the boat and if there's someplace close enough to drop it in the water and get you sailing?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
hsink

hi al,
i think the yellow creek is closer than the other that you talked about. not ready yet to have it looked at or even tried to sail. there is a small not to small a pond near the one end of keystone lake that may work. have seen one other person sail there. is there a club near yellow creek.
thanks for the info.
harry
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Al Stein

{OK, guys, I know there are other boat people in the area chime right in here!}

Hi Harry

I don't know of a club around Keystone Lake, but that's one of the ways that R/C boating is different from R/C flying boating can be done so many places safely with virtually no investment in facilities, so it doesn't demand a club or some similar setup to acquire and maintain and pay for a dedicated facility. So we end up with something like what's happening with "park flyers" etc. anyone can get a park flyer or a boat cheaply and try it out anywhere and a lot them do it without a club. Being flyers, though, we know there are benefits to having a club...

Anyhow, I'd be happy to bring one of my boats out sometime if you'd like to see how another boat is set up. (One thing you'll find is that my setup is not the normal way of doing things today, but it shows how much things have and have not changed. It's more reliable than what most people use today, has fewer moving pieces, but installing it takes a little more early planning.)

Are there palces at Keystone Lake where it would be easy to put a little boat in?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM
lightning mike

Hi guys. Dose Keystone lake got any water in it yet? Last year my wife and I stoped there and the lake was almost dry. I have been sailing in a game land lake near my place, but it is getting kind of low. It is a very nice lake at SGL151. Great for sailing and fishing too. I also sail at Godard State Park , but the weeds there are getting very bad. Might be ok for an EC12. I just finished a Orco 2, and was playing with the sails as I mentioned in the other post. I still have some work to do on them. You guys can email me and we can talk more. I would like to know more about the place near Ligonier .
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 PM
kennedy2011

hey, guys just saw this post. i live near pittsburgh,pa
never can find anyone who knows anything about sailboats.
please email if you still read this post you [email protected]
would like to talk to locals about what they have

Last edited by kennedy2011; 11-19-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Wrong email