Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Antenna Question

Newbie question here. Sorry if it has been posted before. I have two questions regarding receiver antennas.

Q1. My sailboat has a hollow carbon mast. Can I hide my 75Mhz antenna inside it without losing reception?

Q2. 75Mhz receiver vertical antenna length is suppose to be 37.44". In my boat antenna has about a 6"horizontal run before going vertical. To optimize rcxeption, should I add the 6" to my vertical length?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Antenna Question

Q1 Don't know.  Opinions vary, some find that carbon structures upset radio, some say not.  It might depend on the particular carbon structure, thickness, amount and alignment of the carbon fibre.  You might find very limited range due to only the 6" between the RX and mast doing the work.
    Q2 Its the total length of the aerial that counts.  The manufacturer worked out the optimal length for that particular RX, or he should have.  Best to keep to that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Carbon will block the signal. Run the antenna somewhere outside the boat away from the mast. Keep the length as is. You will not be sailing the boat so far away that you lose signal.

He's crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes!"
    Frank Towns - Flight of the Phoenix (1965)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help guys. Happy sailing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Yankeepop

Newbie question here. *Sorry if it has been posted *before. *I have two questions regarding receiver antennas.

Q1. *My sailboat has a hollow carbon mast. *Can I hide my 75Mhz antenna inside it without losing reception?

Q2. *75Mhz receiver vertical antenna length is suppose to be 37.44''. *In my boat antenna has about a 6''*horizontal run before going vertical. To optimize *rcxeption, should I add the 6'' to my vertical length?***

Thanks

Some people run the antenna up the backstay.

Regards,
    Bill
    If it ain\'\'\'\'t broke, don\'\'\'\'t fix it.