Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Star 45 build started

Well, I haven't finished up my latest project yet (a JAE .21 outrigger hydro), but already have lined up the next project- a Star 45 saiilboat. Yes, I know- big difference between the two! Out of a sense of nostalgia, perhaps???
    Anyway- I've ordered a set of laser cut frames from Steven's Aeromodels... will probably plank it in Western Cedar. Giving consideration as to the best way to mill the 3/32" planking required with as little waste as possible/a source for good, straight-grained material to cut it from. 48" Spruce stringers are readily available through my local hobby shot, and I'm planning on Cedar masts/spars, will be building to the Star 45 plans I ordered from the AMYA- which I also just joined. Also ordered a couple of back-issues they have that had articles on the Star 45... so hopefully that will get me off on a good foot.
    I get a great deal of pleasure out of building... and am looking forward to keeping the boat in the classic/nostalgic style... hence the decision to go the route I am, as opposed to, say- fiberglass/carbon fiber, etc... though some amazingly beautiful boats are built that way.
    The only boats it seems that are raced here in NE Florida are the EC-12's- a bigger, more expensive boat than I care to tackle (at least this is what I can tell looking at the club listings on the AMYA site).
    Anyway, the sailboat forum doesn't seem to be as active as some of the other forums- perhaps this thread will kick a little life back in it?? I hope??
    Would be happy to hear from other Star 45 owner/builders... rigging will be a difficulty for me as a first-timer- so resources of info/drawings will be helpful.. as well as things like suggestions for the best way to attach sails to the mast, etc. Am thinking the cotter pin/wire method, since I'll be ordering sails for the boat. Seems to be a good, traditional way to do it. Also boom attachment methods to the mainmast, etc... have seen sites that carry hardware, so I'm not at a total loss there. Simply making intelligent choices that I'll have to give a lot of thought to to have a boat that is well made, and everything works together harmonously.
    Wes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Star 45 build started

Hi Wes

I'd like to see more sailboat traffic here on RCUniverse, too... but the Star45 is a GREAT boat for sailing and for the amount of info that's available on it. You've probably already been there (especially since you found your way to laser-cut formers and such), but in case you haven't or for others, there's a Yahoo group for Star45 with tons of info, pictures, and active discussions.

A photo log of your build would be a great thing here if you were so inclined!
    <B><I>. . . Aim High!</i></b>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, Al-
    Thanks for your comments... and I'll go ahead and do a build photo log on it- though you can count on it being a slow process!!! I am a slow builder, and enjoy the process as much if not more than the finished product.
    Yesterday, I spoke at length with Dave- of Chesapeake Performance Models, and he was just a veritable fountain of information and assistance! He gave me several ideas, one which was to leave out/remove most of the shadow frames after planking the hull, as it will pretty much hold its own shape once its planked... simply leaving in a few frames midships in the area of the mast and the keel.
    Would love to pick his brain some more!
    One question I have is- will doing this impact doing the decking- and what thicknesses are typical for the decking built in this manner? I assume its similar to doing a fiberglass hull, if you remove most of the framing... to help build a light, yet adequately strong hull.
    Wes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been eyeballin' a Dumas Star 45 on ebay and it will likely be my next boat. I have the lil Ace sloop however its a free sailer, I'll be watching your build and looking forward in seeing & learning from your progress!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've discovered the frame numbers on the frames are a bit difficult to see/find, once found, I simply marked the bases a little more legibly. Have a coat of West Systems epoxy resin (207 hardener) on the frames, will lightly sand and 2nd coat. It brushes on nicely, just don't get as much working time as I might like. I suppose I could do it indoors and get some more working time out of it- 70*'s vice 95* outside temp! Have my building frame built up as well. Awaiting spruce stringers from my local hobby shop- he's had to order them in. Have located source for the planking strips- Western Red Cedar. Looking for ideas for decking that will work nice with the cedar hull color... considering spruce for the decking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know of someone who would have interest in a Dumas Star 45 built in the 1960's that was built by an expert builder and is in great shape, there are sails but no mast. We are trying to sell it for the family. We have sold all of his other boats. It is located on Long Island in NY.

Thanks
    Lewis
    WWW.LCSPERFORMANCE.COM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A brief update on the Star project- It's all framed up, and just finishing putting all the stringers in the bottom/sides. I've obtained some Western Red Cedar planking for the sides/bottom and Yellow Cedar planking for the deck from a guy on eBay- Northwest Precision Lumber.... he did a nice job- the planking is approx. 5/16" x3/32". Purchased the Spektrum Marine reciever for it, and the sail winch is from Servo City- a powerful geared-down servo winch based on a Hitech HG servo. I also have the wood for the mast/boom- some beautiful 1/4-sawn Sitka Spruce from Aircraft Spruce Company, have it cut to laminate the mast blank out of, which will be final tapered/shaped with a razor-sharp blockplane.
    I need to start thinking about hatch size- any guidance as to how to determine hatch size requirements will be appreciated.. obviously, one has to be able to access/remove/reinstall anything below deck. Part of my concern is the size of the winch- it's a bit longer than the distance between the frames- it's that large... so its location is pretty much going to dictate the location of the main hatch- to access it and the receiver, which will be velcro'd to the inside of the deck in the vicinity of the mast. I suppose I'll need a 2nd hatch to access the battery pack (NiMh) and the rudder...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a pic now that the half frames are in place. Been working the last couple of days getting everything smoothed up and ready to plank. Planing/sanding down the 1/4" chine stringer is the most work.
    Wes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd92906.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1476108  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi I Live in Australia and are just about to start my star 45 it will be good too see how you progress keep photos coming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Planking goes slow when the planks are only 5/16" wide. Rudder/keelfin assembled, sanding to shape takes a lot of elbow grease. Fin in progress, rudder not started.

Name:	Ec88044.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	1482857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc94092.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1482858  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finished planking the bottom, and a preliminary sanding/levelling. Now I need to finish planing the edges down/sand them to get ready to plank the sides. After planking the bottom, I think the sides will go a lot faster. Unfortunately, life got in the way of finishing up the edges yesterday. I've got a very, very sharp well-tuned block plane that will make trimming the edges down a piece of cake. Already had planed down a bit of the bow planking.

Name:	Vt57957.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	1484846  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I'm finished up with the planking. Still have to finish sanding out the irregularities- then put the transom veneer/cap on (mahogony), then hope by next weekend to be laying some fiberglass cloth on it with West Systems clear epoxy finishing resin.
    Wes

Name:	Je11251.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	1492077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci98142.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	1492078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39461.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	1492079  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good.
    Over the years I have spent nearly all of my money on boats, beer, and women. The rest of it I just wasted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The good old hand held palm orbital sander made quick work of smoothing everything up after a cursory block sanding. Here's a couple of pic's of it while masking off the sides/transom to glass the bottom- and one after I glassed the bottom.
    Wes

Name:	Jg14230.jpg 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1495232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17377.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	1495233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze87179.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	1495234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr46674.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	1495235  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The hull is now fiberglassed- and the first finishing coat of resin applied tonight.
    Day after tomorrow, a light wetsanding to level- then another coat of resin.

Name:	Jh16423.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	1497053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql35192.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	1497054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk17137.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	1497055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gz76119.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	1497056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Am73695.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	1497057  

Very nice work Wes, keep it coming.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is beautiful!
    Gotta love cedar... great to work with; smells great; and looks great, too. What did you use for the garboards (along the center line)?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Al-
    Believe it or not, the garboards down the C/L are Western Red Cedar also! There were about 10 really dark boards in the batch of wood I got from Northwestern Precision Lumber... I figured since I needed to keep track of the centerline of the bottom- to locate the keelfin and rudder- why not mark them with the darker wood. It looks better than I thought it would.
    I bought probably 30 excess pieces- just to allow for any ones I deemed unsuitable... at that small a size (5/16" w x 3/32" thick x 50" length) you can assume there's going to be some that just aren't as good as the others... so I sorted out and used only the best. Doing the same thing with the deck strips (yellow cedar), ordered about 10 extra, just to allow for culls.
    Awaiting the Micro Mesh (should be here Tuesday) to rub out this last coat I put on Saturday. I think it'll be the last coat.
    Wes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice!

I really like how you've used the wood's natural beauty. I always want a mahogany transom like yours on wooden boats, too.... if you spot my Star build in the Yahoo Group's photo section, that'll be pretty obvious.

Anybody watching the build and thinking about building one of these do it! Theyr'e great boats to build and sail!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O.K., time to say "goodbye" to a lot of excess weight!!

Name:	Yw67401.jpg 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	1501660  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The hull is finally off the building jig! A lot of work ahead now, cleaning up the edges, cleaning up the insides, trimming the transom down... then seal up the inside of the hull.

Name:	Ay73290.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1501661  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lookin great I love that feeling of taking a hull off the building forms and just looking at it looking like a boat for the first time!

Did you use CA glue for the planking?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I put each strip on, I used TiteBond 3 along the edge- and a drop of cyano at each frame location. CA is not waterproof, but I figured it'd help hold everything until I resin'd the inside of the hull. I also used blue painters masking tape to hole each strip in place; that's why you still see a little blue residue here and there- will clean that out tonight with some dental tools.
    Yes, it felt like a definite milestone, getting the hull off the form, but kind of discouraging in a way too- in that I saw how much cleanup work I have to do inside the hull for the first time!! Bits of excess glue drops along the planking- I plan on hitting them with a grinding burr, just to knock them off, tape residue, etc. Sure feels light, though!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a good way to go holding the planks in place with CA. I use Titebond II for building, but I may add using instant glue for tacking to my technique.

I suspect that you and I are in a minority when it comes to making the inside neat, but I inherited that little compulsion from my dad. I figure if a builder's hiding sloppy work below the decks, then who knows if I can trust his work where it really counts.... so I salute your neatness!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Al! I simply believe if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right. I want people to admire the work, not wrinkle up their noses when they see it! And I'm sure I got some of my ideas from my Dad, who was a lead mechanic with United Air Lines for his working life/while I was growing up.
    I used to use TiteBond 2 (for normal woodworking), but switched to T/B 3 for boats, since it's waterproof... or more water resistant than the 2 version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast