Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

need help with aussie II / Ocean 500

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

need help with aussie II / Ocean 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:01 PM
60buick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with aussie II / Ocean 500

I need some help with my first sail boat. It is an MRP Aussie II (remake of the Kyosho Ocean 500). With any tail wind the boat spins overpowering the rudder and lays on its side then rights itself facing the wind. My RC rudder was damaged in the kit and only has the static display rudder was useable but the difference is size is not much. I can scratch one from brass which should put more weight down low. Is this a good idea? The wind is not very strong at all but the boat is pretty small and the winged keel is not very heavy or deep. Does it need to be reworked or replaced all together? I wonder if this is more of a bath toy than something to put in a lake with variable winds and gust. I know nothing about sail boats but what little I could find on the internet about this boat (after I bought it) says the sails are pretty poor and need to be redone and different from stock. I can't find how to do this only that it needs to be done to make the boat sail properly or at all. Can anyone offer some help that has some experiance with this vessel. I can't afford another boat so I need to try to make this one a good one. I can also modify it in any manner needed I am experianced with RC just not sailboats.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: need help with aussie II / Ocean 500

I re-arranged the fore on mine so that the boom was done more like an IOM, a seesaw with a leech line.  This helped the sails to wing out downwind, letting the fore provide some lift and "pulling" from the front, reducing the tendency to act like a weather vane.
It still needed better sails (never did them) and the servos needed firmer mounting than the hopelessly optimistic arrangement that TT showed.
There is probably a reason why two rudders are provided - I wouldn't expect the "show" one to perform as well as the "sailing" one.
Generally speaking, the smaller the yacht, the smaller the window of opportunity for good sailing