RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   Radio for yacht (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/1851552-radio-yacht.html)

siclick33 05-27-2004 05:54 PM

Radio for yacht

I have just bought my first yacht (Tamiya Yamaha 40EX) and need a radio for it. What are you guys using?

It seems to me that the left/right spring loaded control for rudder is fine. On all the two channel sets I have seen the left stick goes up and down. I haven't sailed a model yet but it would seem to me that the sail control should also be left/right (on a ratchet). Am I wrong? Does the fact that it moves up/down cause an annoyance. Does anyone make a radio where both sticks go left/right?

Thanks

LtDoc 05-27-2004 10:22 PM

RE: Radio for yacht

siclick,
It sort of depends on how you 'think' of controling the sails (or motor). If you 'think' of it in terms of moving the sails in/out, then the direction the stick moves isn't too important (especially since whether the sail is to the 'right' or 'left' doesn't make any difference). I'm not too sure that made any sense, but I hope it did...
- 'Doc

PS - Use a 3 or 4 channel radio and the direction of the stick just depends on which channel you use, up/down, or left/right.

hoghappy 05-28-2004 07:30 AM

If you just have just throttle or sheet (those are the ropes that pull on the sails to tighten/loosen) and rudder control, the 2 channel will work fine. If you have multiple masts and need more servos...you will need a extra channel on the radio. The same goes for any extra dodads. My radio controls 3 servos right now. 1 for the rudder (left/right self-centering stick) 1 for the foremast yardarms (one of my 2 available up/down sticks) and 1 for sheet control on the fore aft sails and 3 jib sails (one of my slider switches). A slider switch works real well for the sheets as it is out of the way and stays where you set it.

Hope this helps...and may you have fair winds. ;)

Robert

LarryLudwig 05-28-2004 09:46 AM

It is also going to depend on the winch type that you have installed in your boat. If you have a proportional winch in either case (drum or arm) where you put and leave your stick is where you sails are going to move. All things being equal, each time you position your stick on your transmitter, your sails will go to that same position.... and that is a nice feature. Some people like a non-porportional winch where you "bump" your winch a bit at a time and the winch take up line or lets it out according to which way you move your Tx stick.

These are seen more on models that have extremely powerful winches that are often "homemade" from other units, or they are older. Almost all modern day retail winches are proportional.

If you have a proportional winch, it would not do you any service at all to have it on a gimbal that is spring loaded to center.... no way you can hope to hold it still even if you wanted to... so... you would do yourself a favor by getting a radio that has the ratchet on the left stick in the X axis (up and down) If you pick out a radio that does not have this feature, you can do a little simple surgery on your transmitter (in most cases) and remove the centering springs, and put a small friction piece in place that will help hold the gimbal in the chosen position. But, as you are saying to yourself right now... man... what a pain... so... look for a radio that has that feature already built in to what is commonly used as the throttle servo.

You will be completely at home with the layout of the transmitter in minutes. Many of the cheaper ($50-$90) 2-channel radios not only do not have this feature, but they also depend on AA alkaline batteries which will end up costing you enough money that you will wish you had spent another $35.00 and bought the 4 channel radio that comes with the throttle ratchet and ni-cad batteries installed.

Bottom line is... after slogging through all of this... spend a little more now, and save a lot of dough, time and pain in the... annoyance department... and get the 4 channel radio. I think you can get the Futaba SkySport around the net for about $129.00 out of State no tax, and 9.00 shipping. You have a radio that will last you many years, has been known to survive being dropped in the lake, and will transfer over to your next boat easily and will be quite likely what the other people use which makes sailing their boats (*just for a test drive) all that much easier.

Good luck with it,

apky2003 06-08-2004 05:58 AM

Hi, did anyone can tell me that which one will be more faster & can get high speed if using for same " servo & radio control " as below model :-
1. " Round the World "
2. " Seawind "

Thanks !!

siclick33 06-08-2004 10:08 AM

Thanks guys.

I've just had the kit delivered and it all makes sense now. Having hunted around I think I am going to go with the Robbe (Futaba) F 14 or FC 16. In the mean time I am going to stick with the Futaba Attack. If I decide to get serious then the servos and RX in the Yacht will still work with the new transmitter.

I will let you know how I get on.

wismerhell 06-09-2004 08:11 AM

when the water gets choppy, the Tamiya will handle better.
In higher wind, the Seawind tends to go submarining:(
both boats are very close...i think the Tamiya is more expensive, thats it

but i still prefer/love my Seawind

hope it helped

Wis