RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   Robbe Pirol Sailboat kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/2208304-robbe-pirol-sailboat-kit.html)

CommodoreDave 09-27-2004 11:08 PM

Robbe Pirol Sailboat kit

HELP!! I am in need of information and specifications of the Robbe "PIROL" model sailboat kit. I am looking for hull length, beam, mast height, overall height, sail area, etc. I would also like to hear opinions as to the "Degree of Difficulty" of building this kit and also opinions on how it sails.
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

pompebled 09-28-2004 02:09 PM

RE: Robbe Pirol Sailboat kit

Hi Commodore,

Some data from my 1987(!) robbe catalogue:

Length over all: 1270 mm
Beam: 285 mm
Mast height: 2200 mm
Sail area: 5150 cm2
Draft: 380 mm
Keel weight: 2,8 Kg

Sail sets available for light, medium and high wind conditions.

I haven't seen one for years, didn't know they were still sold...., nice boat though!

It's a relative easy to build boat, but there are a few snags you have to be aware of.
I have an old building report, I could dig out, to see what they were, just let me know!

The kit comes with building instructions, but I don't know if they've taken the trouble to translate it into English, should you get stuck, I'll translate the crucial parts if you like.

Regards, Jan.

margandy 03-31-2007 02:49 AM

ANYONE CAN HELP RE ROBBE PIROL. I just obtained this out of production kit and was wondering if anyone had some close up pics inside the hull and outside to help me with building reference also there seems to be a slightly bent at an anlce thick large brass tube - what is it for?? alternatively can anyone point me to a link which might help me Most appreciated!!

Regards

Margandy

Buck Wheat 02-29-2008 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[size=2]ORIGINAL: margandy

ANYONE CAN HELP RE ROBBE PIROL. I just obtained this out of production kit and was wondering if anyone had some close up pics inside the hull and outside to help me with building reference also there seems to be a slightly bent at an anlce thick large brass tube - what is it for?? alternatively can anyone point me to a link which might help me Most appreciated!![/
size]

----

Am just finishing the Pirol after dragging it about the country since 1982-83. Have the very cryptic written instruction book, as well as the 2 sheets of exploded plans. The booklet is written in German, English, French, and Spanish; the exploded drawing in German only. Found a URL for German nautical terms to translate the exploded drawings terminology.

Anybody needs copies of the instruction book, shoot a note to bucqwheat at yahoo dot com

In the past 30 years, I've built a grand total of 4 boats: two small Midwest Models back around 1990, the Dumas 'Brooklyn' tug during the winter of 2006-2007, and the Pirol this winter. First crack at a sailboat. Hitec drum sail winch, rudder servo, and controller. Mast is complete and is being mounted now.

[img][/img]

Buck Wheat 04-23-2008 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
April 22, 2008 - Boat is complete and ready to go.

Offer still stands if anyone might need copies of the instruction book.

pompebled 04-24-2008 01:38 AM

Congratulations on your beautifull Pirol build!

She looks great!

When is the maiden trip?

What's with the 'weedcollectors' on the bulb?

Regards, Jan.

Buck Wheat 05-03-2008 04:11 PM

The weed collecting wings and the bow itself are mods which I expect would disqualify the boat from M-Class racing. However >>>==> 1. I don't care and 2. I live in a remote, mountainous area of Montana. The county is about 1,700,000 hectares in size, but only 9,000 people - mostly ranchers, farmers, wolves, and grizzly bears - live here. There is no organized competitive R/C sailing, so I built the boat for fun. The lakes above 7,000 feet should be perfect for the boat but the weather before early July includes high winds (40-60 mph), hail, lightning, and other scary things that make prudent people hide in root cellars. The first voyage of the boat will probably occur between 10 July and 10 September.

Thanx for the nice compliments. Now I have to figure out what next winter's project will be. I'd like to scratch build a 1:32 or 1:22.5 version of the 1933-1934 Nantucket Lightship. The wife objects, saying it is at least as ugly as I. The real challenge on a project like that is finding a non-government source which is approved by the U.S. National Archives to reproduce original drawings. Several sources exist, but they are extremely expensive.

Cheers, Jan.

Buck Wheat
Dillon, MT USA
[sm=drowning.gif]

Buck Wheat 08-18-2008 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached as .jpegs are:

[size=4]1. The PIROL instruction manual in English (original manual was also printed in German, Dutch, and French)

Buck Wheat 08-18-2008 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached as .jpegs are:

Exploded Plan Sheet #1 (of 2), consisting of 9 scans. You can print, trim, tape together for the complete drawing.

Buck Wheat 08-18-2008 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached as .jpegs are:

Exploded Plan Sheet #2 (of 2), consisting of 9 scans. You can print, trim, tape together for the complete drawing.

oian 01-23-2009 02:40 AM

One thing to keep in mind with this boat is that the hull material "Plura" is somewhat brittle. I have one that I built in the late 70's and I tried to carry it like one would an R/C power boat, by reaching inside the hull opening. I am now repairing a rather large crack from the hatch opening through the chainplate mounting bracket area and along the deck hull line.

John

Buck Wheat 10-09-2010 06:33 PM

RE: 'PLURA' - fragile is a mild term for the type and thickness of the plastic used for the Pirol hull. We might add the term brittle as well. Someone on the R/C sailboat forum made the comment to newbies: "Expect dings." Very, very true.

RE: Pirol sail dimensions: if I can find the original sails, I'll send them to anyone who needs them. Just send an email to bucqwheat at yahoo dot com and ask. The mylar sails on my boat are from Chuck Black in San Diego.

Cheers,

Buck
:D

BruichLaddich 10-09-2010 08:48 PM

Hi , i stumbled over this thread by pure chance and guess what i have in the cupboard gathering dust. A barely started Robbe Pirol. It wetted my appertite enough to get it all out and ponder over all the bits in the box and i have now set my mind to finishing building this lovely boat over the coming winter months. I think i purchased this kit sometime in the late eighties or early nineties so its long overdue for the workshop. Everything is in the box all except the drawings and building notes (i cant for the life of me remember what i have done with those) but no matter , Buck Wheat has kindley coverred this earlier in this thread. All apart from page 4 of the building notes is missing. If you still have the building notes can you please copy page 4 again and post it on here, many thanks

Keith.

ps. ill try to put some pics of build up when i can

Buck Wheat 10-16-2010 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
16 OCTOBER 2010 - I HAVE [b]UPLOADED THE MISSING FOURTH PAGE[/b] OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE PORTION OF THE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS. IT IS A .jpg ATTACHMENT TAKEN WITH A CAMERA (NOT A SCANNER), SO THE INTERESTED USER WILL HAVE TO ENLARGE IT TO READ IT CLEARLY.

THE FOURTH SEQUENTIAL PAGE WILL REFLECT page 19 IN THE LOWER CORNER.

BUCK

DCT129 11-25-2010 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello to all, I just picked up a Pirol from one of my RC Flying buddies. He bough it back in 1985. It's been sitting in his attic for years! So I had to re-build her . Just took her out for a test sail the other day. All went well!! Now all she needs , is some new paint...:D