RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   Big boat servo help needed (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/7229723-big-boat-servo-help-needed.html)

Dinosaur 03-15-2008 04:57 PM

Big boat servo help needed

Hey Folks,

I bought a used RC boat for my nephew. It is a big boat that a coworker was not using anymore. It had an older sail servo that I am trying to hook to a new Fatuba transmitter/receiver. The Fatuba has only three wires, red black white, coming from the channel 2 servo socket. But the old servo has four wires, red black white and pink, coming from the servo. Is there someone that can tell me about the servo and how to connect it to the Fatuba gear? Thanks for your help. I am considering just jumping the wires with alligator clips aand find a combination that works, but I figure there is a chance the voltage could damage to servo if I were especially unlucky. The servo is off white, and is labeled Engineering Proportional.

Dinosaur

Gary Morris 03-17-2008 02:05 PM

RE: Big boat servo help needed

Sounds like you have a really old servo, probably Circa 1980's or earlier. All modern servos use three wires, positive, negative and a signal wire looking at the top of the servo lead where it plugs into the receiver the first one should be black or brown, followed by red and then white or orange for the signal wire. Since the servo you have has four wires and the servo is white it probably has very little torque. Depending upon how big a sail your trying to move and whether or not it uses a large arm, you probably want a metal geared or sail wench servo. Do a search for Hitec or Futaba sail wench servos would by my best guess. Good luck on your quest.

Gary Morris

Dinosaur 03-17-2008 09:53 PM

Oh yea, it is o_l_d alright. However, I suspect it has quite a bit of torque. The boat's sails rise 70 inches above the deck. The hull weighs something over thirty pounds. It is some kind of "J" from the eighties or early nineties I suspect. It was a handmade boat from a kit. All wood hull and all that. It will be a beautiful boat once I get it running, that is, I'm sure it looks better in the water than on my hobby table.

Michaelj2k 03-18-2008 01:01 PM

The winch you have is a Sail Engineering winch, manufactured by a fellow from the Richmond, Va area. The winch needs to be wired to a spring loaded on DPDT switch to position the winch arm. A servo is used to operate the switch and your transmitter stick needs to have centering springs installed. To position the servo, you move the stick in the direction you want the sails to move then release the stick back to neutral when you achieve the position. Holding the stick in either position moves the winch to the stops. This winch is no longer made. I know it well, I used to use these in International A Class boats.

There is a good replacement winch that can handle a boat the size or yours, the RMG 380 sail winch.

What is the length of the boat? It is possible that you have an International A Class boat as you mentioned that is is of wood construction. These boats are built to a set of lines and a measurement rule, there are no kits available. Is there a registration number on the sail? Do you have pictures?

Mad Man Marko-RCU 03-19-2008 06:10 AM

Mike:

I have one of those winches from an old EC12. It IS Proportional and does not use the bang bang switches. I am trying to locate mine in the garage for Mr. Dinosaur. I set it up for a Futaba/Hitec and it worked fine. It has a meatl gearbox with a feedback pot on the output shaft and the board uses the throttle servo signal plus a 12V battery to run the motor in the winch.

Hope this helps.

Mark O
AMYA 14785
EC-12 228,1926

Michaelj2k 03-19-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Man Marko-RCU

Mike:

I have one of those winches from an old EC12. It IS Proportional and does not use the bang bang switches. I am trying to locate mine in the garage for Mr. Dinosaur. I set it up for a Futaba/Hitec and it worked fine. It has a meatl gearbox with a feedback pot on the output shaft and the board uses the throttle servo signal plus a 12V battery to run the motor in the winch.

Hope this helps.

Mark O
AMYA 14785
EC-12 228,1926
Hey Mark,
Yes, Sail Engineering made the winch in both bang-bang and proportional configuration (I had both). The motor is contained in a gearbox and has enough torque to pull tree stumps. [X(] It's overkill for an EC12 but when installed in a J or an A Class boat, it can't be beat. Yes, its best performance is with 12 volts but it will run with less. Thanks for the refresher, its been a long time since I've messed with one and thought maybe Dinosaur's winch is a bang-bang from his description. BTW, I still have an arm for that winch so it will be a freebee to anyone who wants it. Contact me by PM.

Another thing I almost forgot is if you remove the arm, make sure that the output shaft is not smooth as you have to clamp the arm onto the shaft. Clean it good, rough up the surface and use locktite or chalk powder to prevent the arm from slipping.

Mad Man Marko-RCU 03-19-2008 09:06 AM

Mike:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still has stuff like this kicking around. My EC12 came with the SE winch and a Kraft Sport series with KPS-11 rudder servo and a wood rig with Carr dacron single panel sails. All carefully stored away in case there is a nostalgia race or something.

We updated the rig and the electronics with a Servo City robot servo for the winch and Hitec digitals for rudder and jib trim. Hitec optic on FM with sythesized receiver and module on 75 Mhz. Will update to 2.4 Ghz this season.

I am also finishing up a new RMD 12 for this season.

Peace

Mark O
AMYA 14785

Michaelj2k 03-19-2008 09:40 AM

Mark,
Are you planning on hitting some EC12 regattas this season? The Liberty Bell Cup in Mt. Laurel, NJ is coming up on April 12 and 13.

BTW, Bob D. makes a fantastic hull.[sm=thumbs_up.gif].

Mad Man Marko-RCU 03-19-2008 10:29 AM

Mike:

I thought that the Liberty Bell regatta was on April 26-27 according to the AMYA site. Our club also sails CR914's and we are having our spring regatta on April 12-13 in Deep River, CT. I would like to do the Liberty Bell Regatta as my wife has relatives in Mount Laurel so it is a dual purpose visit. But I thought it was a different date.

Peace

Mark O

Michaelj2k 03-19-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Man Marko-RCU

Mike:

I thought that the Liberty Bell regatta was on April 26-27 according to the AMYA site. Our club also sails CR914's and we are having our spring regatta on April 12-13 in Deep River, CT. I would like to do the Liberty Bell Regatta as my wife has relatives in Mount Laurel so it is a dual purpose visit. But I thought it was a different date.

Peace

Mark O
Here's a link to the EC12 regatta page. It's the 12th and 13th, I wasn't paying attention to the calendar. Dave Brawner is running the regatta, you can download an entry from from the page. Don't be concerned about the cutoff date for entries. http://www.ec12.org/Regattas/2008.htm

Dinosaur 03-19-2008 07:18 PM

THanks guys for your help.

I do have a couple pictures but I don't know how to load them up here. I'll take some measurements of the boat and post them soon.

Will this winch run off the Fatuba receiver? I believe it only has 6 volts on the boat. Would I need to get a transformer to double the output voltage, or will this only slow the winch?

I have a Nirvana II myself and will buy a second for my son within the next year. This is a fantastic hobby for families.

Dinosaur

Michaelj2k 03-20-2008 06:56 AM

Dinosaur,
The winch needs 12 volts to work properly. No transformer is needed, make a NiMh pack that has at least a 2000ma capacity.

When you do a normal reply to a thread, you will see a selection that says "Click here to upload images and files". Select that and browse to the directory where your pictures are located.

MX240 04-17-2008 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Michael,
Here is a picture of my old sail winch that I have in my Santa Barbra.
It is give me some problems.
Know a replacement for this ol'girl.
Jim

Mad Man Marko-RCU 04-17-2008 08:00 PM

Jim:

I used a Servo City Robot servo in my Dumas EC12. 5-1 gear ratio with a digital 5645 servo. Works pretty well.

Check out their website and see if it will work for you. www.servocity.com

Hope this helps

Mark O

MX240 04-17-2008 09:58 PM

Thanks Mark,
Would have never found that website.
I got my sail mover to working again.
But, if she gives me much trouble I'll get me one.
Thanks...Jim

Michaelj2k 04-18-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: MX240

Michael,
Here is a picture of my old sail winch that I have in my Santa Barbra.
It is give me some problems.
Know a replacement for this ol'girl.
Jim
MX,
The RMG 280 should do just fine. He also has a 380 but that is better for the J, International A Class and other big boats. Are those Orbit servos I see in your pic?

Here is a suppliers list for the EC12. The RMG winch can be ordered through either Mike Zellenack or Brian Bozek of Midwest Model Yachting. Ray Ozmun supplies a W-12 swing arm winch that will also work in your SB. http://www.ec12.org/Resources/suppliers.htm

MX240 04-18-2008 11:03 AM

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the web link...will use it.
Yep, old Orbit servo's, love the push-pull outputs. It's on 27.045
Going to change over to JR servo's this year. Something on 75.
Thanks again
Jim

Al Stein 04-18-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Oh yea, it is o_l_d alright... It is some kind of "J" from the eighties or early nineties I suspect. It was a handmade boat from a kit. All wood hull and all that.
Uhhh... my 12 goes back to 1971, so I don't think something from the 80s or 90s is all that old. I was wondering, though, a lot of wooden boats are built from scratch can you tell if yours definitely seems to have been a kit? It sounds interesting!