RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   Maniac MKII (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/9286016-maniac-mkii.html)

SIRI 11-27-2009 11:48 PM

Maniac MKII

Hi folks,

this are the first prototype pics of my new design 'Maniac MKII', a 29cm ultra wide IOM skiff.

more to come soon...

Cheers:D

GLX 11-28-2009 06:26 PM

RE: Maniac MKII

looks good Sirit - well done

you're a busy bee working on your various models. IOM is what I know as I have been racing IOM for the past 5 years now. I started with a TS2 from Craig Smith. He won the 94 Worlds with his skiff design and I found it the easiest IOM to race. Her strengths are the fact that you can keep more sails for longer then other narrower designs so in varying wind conditions this is one great advantage. I use to point higher then others and this is because once heeled the gunwales helps and work with the keel. And it's a dam easy boat to sail. Her downside was the light wind as until she heels a bit the wetted area is greater then narrower designs and downwind speed. Though I found that by not goind dead downwind but by "playing" the angles more i could minimise the loss. Then I played these strengths and weaknesses in my tactics and won quite a number of races.

Now I race with a NZL design called a V6 which is built in Spain. Ian Vickers who is in BMW Oracle AC team is the designer and he's often in the top 10 at international event. I really like it but she's different from the TS2. She's also very smooth but her strengths are different from the TS2 and so I have to adapt.

This one looks great - what's the max beam on her ? when are you expecting to do some trials with this design ?

<br type="_moz" />

SIRI 11-28-2009 08:37 PM

I have tried the design with my Maniac already. I designed this boat as a semi scale model of a sport boat for a friend. It sailed exceptionally well but with it's dingy style rudder it is to long for a IOM. Itsadvantage is in high winds like the TS2.
My Maniac MKII uses the underwater hull of the Maniac with minor changes and a yacht rudder to fit the IOM rules.Its maximum beam is 29 cm.
I hope to do the first sailing trials for the Maniac MKII next weekend.

more to come soon

SIRI 11-30-2009 12:36 AM

She has got her shirt already and is waiting for R/C and rigging.

SIRI 12-03-2009 07:45 PM

My [link=http://www.rcsails.com/maniac2.htm]Maniac MKII[/link] maidened yesterday, December 3rd, 2009 in the evening. She performs well, I will upload a short clip or two at [link=http://www.rcsails.com/iom.htm]RCSails[/link] today.

Here are some pictures

GLX 12-03-2009 07:58 PM

I pull you my hat - you're a fast builder and very neet work too. WD

You can see from the pics the fact she has a wide beam as she seats relatively low on the water which was the same as my TS2. She seems to be going at a good pace considering the very light wind condition...

SIRI 12-03-2009 10:11 PM

Dear GLX,
I'm happy with her performance. I'm keen to sail her with more wind. She sails well and like your TS2 she doesn't like direct downwind - she is much faster when heeled.

We have a long weekend this week and a holiday the next week as well, maybe I can sail her in heavy air then.
Besides I have a RG65 plug on my bench and another in the drawer. My Mini40 Cat waits to be continued and I have to work on the plans for my 2-metre tri too..

Cheers

larrykin 12-04-2009 03:54 PM

:eek:

SIRI 12-04-2009 05:37 PM

larrykin,
the gunwhales are not under water in the picture, thats only the angle of view. She was heeling at about 30 degrees in the picture, the bow was fully up... Thanks for your nice diagram, there is only one mistake of thinking in it. You assume both hulls sit in the water in the same depth. This would mean the displacement of the wide boat were much higher. With the same displacement the wide hull sits much higher in the water and will reach the same angle before it gets under water. With the same displacement the angle will be the same - I think you should revise it. Larry, it's my first own IOM design, I'm a newbie too:D.
I was happy with her when I was out the first time - sure I will do more trials with her soon. I'm waiting for the right winds now.

Cheers

GLX 12-04-2009 08:08 PM

I noticed with my TS2 that I could point higher then other narrower designs without loosing speed and this was more obvious in heavy wind. Hence my tactic was to get a clear start off the line and get to the weather mark first with as much distance I could on the other boats as I knew they'd catch up at best downwind and same again on the second beat.

Part of this was because the gunwale was helping the keel which was loosing its efficiency as the boat heels. The keel thickness plays a good part in the efficiency of the keel and how the boat points.

larrykin 12-05-2009 04:19 AM

SIRI 12-05-2009 05:49 AM

larry,
I do understand your arguments now , do you mean all sailboats have their bow low and the stern high?
Ok noew I know the wider the stern the lower the bow sits in the water, regardless of the CG.
All sailboats tendto be are narrow at bow and wider at stern.....
I'm just a newbie and guess you're right :) , you have build tons of boats already as I see in your other posts.

Have a nice weekend

larrykin 12-05-2009 08:27 PM

SIRI 12-06-2009 10:17 PM

Larry,
I have not done calculations on keel, mast and rudder positions - a friend who is a naval architect has done this for me. I use his recommendations and until now it seem to work well. I still have to do some trimming and trials in heavy air, I will report the outcomings here - I'm waiting for wind now.

larrykin 12-12-2009 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Sirit

Larry,
I have not done calculations on keel, mast and rudder positions - a friend who is a naval architect has done this for me. I use his recommendations and until now it seem to work well. I still have to do some trimming and trials in heavy air, I will report the outcomings here - I'm waiting for wind now.

This photo of your Maniac

http://www.rcsails.com/build/Maniac%20MKII-1s.jpg

based on my humble opinion means your boat will not actually be an IOM. You need, based on the rules - 60mm depth. Your skiff back is what... water tank tested.. but just by eye you'd be pushing that. You need 60mm at 4kg. Check on IOM Rules. Selling non IOM not good.

below is a real IOM that has a winning hull shape. The photo below is of a home-made IOM. Made with obvious care. Siri; I'm sure your setup produces some hulls made from free plans..... Other problem with the maniac is the huge kick in the gunnel at midships. Bizarre shape. Looks like you wacked on a flared stern to an existing IOM bow and called it your design. You did post there are no IOMs in your country so that could explain.

X

LL

SIRI 12-12-2009 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: larrykin

ORIGINAL: Sirit

Larry,

This photo of your Maniac

http://www.rcsails.com/build/Maniac%20MKII-1s.jpg

based on my humble opinion means your boat will not actually be an IOM. You need, based on the rules - 60mm depth. Your skiff back is what... water tank tested.. but just by eye you'd be pushing that. You need 60mm at 4kg. Check on IOM Rules. Selling non IOM not good.

below is a real IOM that has a winning hull shape. The photo below is of a home-made IOM. Made with obvious care. Siri; I'm sure your setup produces some hulls made from free plans..... Other problem with the maniac is the huge kick in the gunnel at midships. Bizarre shape. Looks like you wacked on a flared stern to an existing IOM bow and called it your design. You did post there are no IOMs in your country so that could explain. Then I'm just a newbie. You are the guy with the company building IOM boats. Not me [sm=spinnyeyes.gif].
I'd love to see a gallery of boats you've built. Just to prove some track record. And of course this is because you called my posts rubbish. And I have held back here from what I really think about your $285 hull.

X

LL

Larry,
people able to read have a clear advantage - Didn't I mention it is expected in February next year. Are you my new salesman because you are actively putting a screenshot my webshop on every board you can find?

BTW what I'm selling later will be a gelcoated hull off a female mold not some leaking homebrew molding like your Yellow Submarine.

Don't tell I'm insulting you again, you told on the forums it was leaking everywhere.

Maybe you can have somebody read the IOM rules for you - the 60mm depth is the MAXIMUM!!!

If you never got hold of a copy you can download at my website for free. Here's the link [link=http://www.rcsails.com/iom.htm]www.rcsails.com/iom.htm[/link]

[:@]:D[:@]

larrykin 12-12-2009 08:21 AM

Sirit,

you do realise this is a public forum. Every post you make can be read by anyone. My telling people my hull leaked is normal. I do not sell crap to the public.

:D Try being a buddhist. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) or remain as you are..............................

May our lord forgive you. SHE has brains [sm=bananahead.gif]

Please keep up the personal abuse. Until you understand.... I do not have a web site selling RC stuff. The more you post the worse you look. So "may I have more please?"

:D

larrykin 12-12-2009 10:53 AM

[sm=drowning.gif] [sm=drowning.gif] [sm=drowning.gif]

Sirit you win,
How was I so wrong not to see the obvious truth. Your making hulls from free plans. So worthy. Selling a single hull for $US85 that I can only make for $AU30. You are so wise. I don't sell commercially.
Inventing the Maniac which you want to sell as a bare hull for $285 is ambitious. I can buy an IOM hull here for $100 new. And that's a proven design. Not a spaceship.
The mere fact your "mast-box" on the maniac does not exist. You, instead, have a round hole with no provision for a mast ram. Which means no rake tuning. It's like you have no clue what an IOM is. Do you know what a ....? If you did you'd have a real design. Forgot, you should just ask members of your local IOM Racing Club.

[sm=punching.gif]

SIRI 12-12-2009 07:51 PM

Yesterday I had the chance to sail the Maniac MKII in winds of 10km/h, up to 25km/h in gusts. I have roughly trimmed her, she perfectly sails with neutral helm now. She points well and has no tendency to bury the bow on downwind runs.

Here are some first pictures, some more andsome video clips are on my website

I will do more trials soon

kiwibob72 12-14-2009 10:39 PM

Nice looking IOM .... I myself have a skiff type hull - a 'Highlander' I believe ..... as it reminds me of my days as a kid sailing actual skiffs here in NZ!

IOM's a a right bugger to get perfect re trim at the best of times, so well done for doing it Sirit on a new, really nice looking boat design!!

SIRI 12-15-2009 05:36 AM

Bob,
I have developed the Maniac-II from the Maniac which is a semi scale model of a 6,5m boat - guess where the big one comes from :).
The Maniac-II is my second IOM skiff, a little bit wider than my Terminator. I like those wide stern boats, and hope this weekend I can arrange some trials against a slimmer boat to see her advantages and her disadvantages against the slim boat.

Cheers

SIRI 12-19-2009 10:14 AM

Today I sailed the Maniac MKII together with a Noux II in winds between 20 and 30 km/h. My Maniac was able to point much higher to the wind than the Noux and did not loose ground downwind as well. I made a video clip from an onboard camera on my Maniac II, its fun to watch, It is online at the [link=http://www.rcsails.com/maniac2.htm]Maniac MKII page[/link]
and here http://www.vimeo.com/8285712

Have fun watching the clip:D

SIRI 02-07-2010 07:22 AM

I pulled the first mouldings from my new female moulds today - the first production Maniac MK II will hit the water soon.

http://www.rcsails.com/build/maniac2mouldings.jpg

SIRI 03-06-2010 08:30 PM

Another Maniac MKII launched

http://www.rcsails.com/build/ManiacMK2w-1.jpg

More pictures and a video clip on my web site :D