RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   A123 batteries fo a sailboat? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/9840124-a123-batteries-fo-sailboat.html)

vasek 07-02-2010 06:37 AM

A123 batteries fo a sailboat?

Hi, I'm new to sailboats.

I have a little lake around the corner where I live so I want to go sailing on a moment notice.

The recommended battery for my ENTZ is a standard 4.8V NiMH 3600mAh battery pack. The problem with that is that;

1) they don't hold peak charge for long if charged in advance
2) takes a long time to charge

A123 batteries charge in 15 min thus my question.
Does anyone use these in a sailboat?

mfr02 07-02-2010 09:56 AM

RE: A123 batteries fo a sailboat?

<span style="font-family: arial; ">

The recommended battery for my ENTZ is a standard 4.8VNiMH3600mAhbattery pack. The problem with that is that;

1) they don't hold peak charge for long if charged in advance
<span></span></span><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">I've been running a similar sized yacht since the late'80s using 4 AA rechargeables.  Back then, a 650mAH set gave over an hour.  Nowadays, play all evening using 2000mAH cells.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">Don't hold peak charge?  NiCads had the reputation of leaking energy, never heard of that as a problem with NiMH.  When you look at ESC threads, you get the impression that oriental amps are smaller than western ones, probably something to do with consumer protection legislation.  The same could apply to oriental ampere-hours.  </span><span style="font-family: arial; ">Be careful who you buy from.  </span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; "></span><span style="font-family: arial; ">I usually just connect my battery to my trusty trickle charger when I get home from the pond, and forget about it until I want to use it.  Sometimes I forget, but the second session works just as well.</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial; ">You get a heck of a lot of good quality sets of NiMH cells for the cost of one lithium charger, and much less chance of burning the house down.</span></div>

Yankeepop 07-02-2010 01:51 PM

It could be that your servos are drawing a lot of current.

I run my boats with a 6 volt NIMH 1400mAH battery pack. My average sailing time is around 2.5 hrs. every Saturday. After sailing I still have 5.0 volts. When I get home I charge the batteries over night. and I ready to go again.

8387mike 07-03-2010 07:43 AM

I have been using A123 batteries for 6 months now and get a full days racing 9am till 4;30pm, I prefer them over lipos because of the whole fire thing

hew565 07-03-2010 11:30 AM

I have used A123 packs in two different IOMs for a couple of years. No problems whatsoever. I just upgraded my Hitech arm winch to their newer version that is now rated to 7.2V. Perfect timing!

I do use a Castle Creations voltage regulator (CCBEC) to knock the voltage down to the rudder servo. The RX can handle a 2 cell A123 pack, but I usually put it behind the regulator too. I have the regulator set to 6V, BTW.

I also use a 5 cell MiMH pack in my smaller Victoria. A123 is too big to fit, and the NiMH is plenty for that setup. They do lose charge over time, so it is best to charge them the night before you sail. My 1650 Mah pack will last most of a day. I usually swap them mid day if I am sailing a regatta, just to eliminate any possible problem there. I'd rather swap when I have time to, than have to swap when I have no time!

vasek 07-03-2010 01:10 PM

Great! I might try the unregulated A123 then, since a freshly charged 5cell NIMH has (i think) more V than a A123 off the charger.

One more question, how do you guys waterproof the pack in the boat?

Thanks for the help,
V.

hew565 07-06-2010 12:02 PM

I saved the plastic box that my Hitech servo came in. I cut a small hole in the top for the power leads to exit. The 2 cell A123 fits nicely inside and will keep any water in the bilge from splashing into the batteries. I have a rectangular hatch that is large enough to slip the box through, into a cradle to keep it from sliding around. The hatch is taped to seal it.

8387mike 07-09-2010 07:28 AM

I sprayed mine with lots of clear spray paint works very well, just make sure you get it in all the tight spaces.

Brandon15 07-13-2010 09:12 PM

Oh without a doubt i get itin all the tight spaces!

50%plane 07-13-2010 09:15 PM

Make sure there's not any sand or dust in those tight spaces, or things could turn ugly real fast!

wobblewobble 07-13-2010 09:25 PM

lube it!</p>