Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to use turnbuckles?

This may seem like a stupid question on a scale forum, but how exactly are turnbuckles used to tension flying wires?

Having used only non-scale clevises so far, I was wondering if the 2 threaded eyelets (and the attached wires) are twisted during adjustments?

Or does the center bit (loop?) have counter-rotating threads with both eyelets staying 'in plane' but going in or out when the latter is twisted?

What is the best method to secure turnbuckles once the desired tension is achieved?

Finally, I was thinking of ordering some nice looking brass turnbuckles from this supplier
    http://arch.navalis.pl/

Has anyone used products from them before?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How to use turnbuckles?

A RCU search has returned these threads:

http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....hwhere=subject
    Lnewqban - "God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars. He has achieved success who has worked well, laughed often, and loved much." - Elbert Hubbard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trev, the two end pieces (whether eyes or forks) are right and left hand threaded so that rotating the barrel of the turnbuckles pulls them both inward or outward. So to set up your turnbuckles you need to have them at almost their full extension, then make the wires as without slack as possible by hand. Then you can rotate the body to pull the wires to flying tension. After the tension is set you need to use safety wires which wrap around the ends and thread through the middle of the body. Somewhere I have (and have seen on RCU) a diagram showing the proper safety wire technique.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, here it is:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trev: Use great caution when tightening turnbuckles!! It is very easy to pull things out of alignment with them.

LEs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Trev

What is the best method to secure turnbuckles once the desired tension is achieved?

Just finished securing 75 turnbuckles I did it with 0.3mm steel wire.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK. So where's your EIII thread again? I know it's over on RCSB somewhere, but I always have a hard time finding anything there. I suppose it's under Proctor builds, right?

Nevermind! Found it. I do feel like joining the fun over on RCSB, but I'm just so cozy here on the RCU Scale forum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trev:

As an aircraft mechanic, I deal with turnbarrels all the time and the other guy's are definetly right when it comes to tightening them up. One thing that I would do is leave a little slack in the cable, this can be adjusted before you crimp the swage. A little experimenting will tell you just the right amount. The reason being that these modelling turnbarrels have way fewer threads than a full size one and you need to have some thread engagement inside the barrel. I usually leave about 4 threads showing on the eye or clevis end. Remember to not tighten to much and you'll be just fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds like dead-on advice. I'll add that on the ground/bench landing wires should be "taut" and the flying wires just a bit slack. In the air or with your fingertips under the wingtips, the flying wires should be taut and the landing wires a bit slack. The question here is the relative meanings of "taut" and "slack." I take "taut" to be tight enough so the wire makes a low "thuwung" sound when plucked. This isn't very tight and it doesn't need to be. You're not tuning a guitar. It just has to be tight enough to hold the wings where they are under flight loads...and a fraction of a bit more dihedral never hurt anybody.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments and advice! Also in particular for the words of caution (Les, destrat), my naive approach would've been to tighten them up like guitar strings!

Teus from what I can see that's a great looking EIII! Proctor right? Is your thread over on RCSB?

Abu, cheers for the safety wire illustrations!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Trev

Teus from what I can see that's a great looking EIII! Proctor right? Is your thread over on RCSB?
    Thats right Trev, you can find it here: Fokker E.III a Dutch build

Teus