Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Need Your Help- Deployed Soldier looking for any information on a possible RC donation site

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Need Your Help- Deployed Soldier looking for any information on a possible RC donation site

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 AM
robl90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Your Help- Deployed Soldier looking for any information on a possible RC donation site

Sorry to bother everyone. I am trying to see if anyone knows of an organization that would be willing to donate two RTF high wing trainer planes (nitro) for some deployed Soldiers in Afghanistan.

I am an active RC Plane junkie with my kids when I am not deployed and an AMA member (would give you the number but didn’t think of deploying with it).

I am at a small remote base in Afghanistan with lots of open space. The other week I was out with another Soldier who flies the little UAV, like a multiplex Easy Star with FPV. I was getting my RC fix in. It was a nice day so we got a little crowd of US Soldiers starting to hang around. When the plane landed they all thought it was really cool. I took a few minutes and explained the basics of RC flight. I told them that I fly every weekend with my three sons back at Fort Campbell, KY 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).
My intentions are to see if I can get a few planes and at least a radio with a buddy box. There are a bunch of budding enthusiasts who really want to learn to fly RC Planes. Think I might even have some Dad’s hooked and really eager to teach their kids when we redeploy.

If interested in sending anything my address is:
Rob Davis
101st Sustainment Brigade
TF Lifeliner
APO AE 09354

If you have any information you would like to e-mail on a possible donation site, my e-mail is: [email protected]
Thank you so much
Rob
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Your Help- Deployed Soldier looking for any information on a possible RC donation site

Sent you an e-mail. If you don't receive it then PM me.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need Your Help- Deployed Soldier looking for any information on a possible RC donation site

Rob,
First of all please allow me to say to you and your fellow soldiers, "Thank You for Your Service"! I am retired from the U.S. Army. Both of my sons have served two tours of Iraq and are actively serving. I have contacted my favorite local hobby shop about your request. They are taking it into consideration. The question arose about fuel, and electric seemed to be a better option, as glow fuel may be hard to come by over there. In the event this does not pan out, I will check out some other options.

I wish you and all of your fellow soldiers a Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year! I pray for all of our Armed Forces folks daily, several times a day.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Flak

Deleted

Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
robl90

Thank you all for your help and comments. I wish you and your families a great Christmas also. We are having camera issues, but hoping to be able to post a picture of some of the guys on the forward operating base with the Army UAV in the next week or so. The only picture I have now is the sudden landing we had the other week. It is kind of un-pretty, but the small ones are made to break apart during landing. Has a metal rod and extra padding on the bottom of the fuselage for those not so easy landings.

Any power plant would be fine. Was thinking of gas instead of battery. We have generators that are running 220V output and they are not always the most reliable. Don't know how Lipoly would take a power spike. But appreciate any kind of help.

Rob
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
AH1G

Any of you folks out there interested in getting together on this and putting a complete package together?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Eindecker_pilot

How would the logistics of this work? How would it be shipped?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
AH1G

My thought was that someone could order and send an ARF(s), (maybe extra wings), another radio(s), another supplies, extra batteries, etc, etc. Each person would post what they are sending to minimize overlap.
Personally I'm willing to send an entire plane and radio, however after looking over the RTF's, I don't like the combinations I find.
He would prefer gas, I do not have the experience in gas and which one would fit in a Nexstar?
A better package could be put together by buying individual components.
Or,It might be possible to approach Tower or Hobby lobby to start an account in the name of the 101st and let them order exactly what they want.

Just a thought..

Brian

PS The 101st was my Division when I was overseas in the 60's & 70's, I still have a soft spot for them

Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

The only thing I have I could donate is an unused JR 10X transmitter, but I would only be too glad to help offset costs if a collection was taken up. Anything for our soldiers protecting our ability to fly and be free.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Flak

Rob, I don't know if the Gov't Postal Service or the U.S. Military would allow glow fuel to be shipped to you.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:13 PM
AH1G

That was a concern of mine also.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: AH1G

Any of you folks out there interested in getting together on this and putting a complete package together?
I'm in. But, let's do it right. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: AH1G

Or,It might be possible to approach Tower or Hobby lobby to start an account in the name of the 101st and let them order exactly what they want.

Just a thought..

Brian

PS The 101st was my Division when I was overseas in the 60's & 70's, I still have a soft spot for them

OK here's my proposal:

1. I would suggest all new stuff, simply because replacement parts and service would be more readily available.

2. We need a source. Tower or Hobby Lobby would be fine. I'd suggest Tower simply because most all of us are existing customers.

3. We need a packaging and shipping method. Tower already packs and ships to all of us, so they are probably equipped to ship to Rob's APO.

4. We need product selection. Rob, do you want to handle that or should somebody back home select the package components ?

5. We need money. I suspect that Tower could set up an account to which we could contribute just like when we pay our own accounts.

6. We need somebody to contact Tower (or HL if that's what the majority prefer) to ask for the account setup. I'll take that on unless somebody else is in close contact with them. I'd don't have any special connections, but what I would propose to Tower is that they give us a customer number. Anyone wishing to contribute could just call Tower and contribute to the account number using their charge card. Once sufficient funds were in the account the merchandise could ship.

Any comments ?

Dick Fischer
Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Dick,
I like your proposal. I don't have any connections at either Tower, Horizon or Hobby Lobby either other than the $$$$ I've sent them! I think that is the safest approach. If you do get an account set up, please post it and I'm sure we'll get alot of contributions, every dollar would help.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rslstft

Dick,
I like your proposal. I don't have any connections at either Tower, Horizon or Hobby Lobby either other than the $$$$ I've sent them! I think that is the safest approach. If you do get an account set up, please post it and I'm sure we'll get alot of contributions, every dollar would help.
I agree. As soon as you have the account set up with Tower, let us know. I have a hunch the money will be there to support this project. I'm in. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 AM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

I'm in and subscribed to keep current.

Jack
Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I too would gladly donate to a fund for this purpose. And a big thank you to Rob and every other member of our armed forces for their service, especially those deployed. Hope you guys have a very Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:55 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in...let us know how to participate.
Paul
Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM
otrcman

Rob,

PM sent to you. Please contact me if you don't receive in due time.

Dick Fischer
Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Please keep us all in the loop....

Bob
Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If someone can get an account setup I would be more than glad to donate.
My son did a tour in Iraq and I know how it can be for the soldiers being away from home.
Anthony
Old 12-19-2010, 06:51 PM
otrcman

I'm out gathering information on what we can do and how to do it. Will report back as soon as I have the information.

Dick
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, 2.4 GHz might not be a good idea, as that is the same freq. range as cell phones. I don't know about Afghanistan, but in Iraq those freq's can be jammed at any time due to the IED threat. I think 72Mhz might be safer, just a thought. I would also like to help, even if it's just a little, enough people contributing can get a great setup going. I would love to have the opportunity do do the same when I deploy, but I am at large airbases and they frown on model flying around military A/C.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:14 AM
jbdismukes

Load masters get real testy about moving objects around "their" aircraft (my son-in-law is one). The same can be said about crew chiefs.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 AM
robl90

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I have not replied for the last few days. I have been moving around and not had access a computer. I will do a detailed reply in a little bit. It is 5:00 pm here and I haven't had a shower in the last few days. Think I will be able to give clear and concise answers with a little food and a few inches of dirt removed.

Tonight my time, morning your time- I will answer the specifics as best I can without getting into to many areas I can't discuss. Mail is not an issue. All our mail comes over on DHL or other contracted flights straight from the States, not on military flights from outside Afghanistan for the last several years. It is just like sending mail anywhere else in the States. Hobby shops get fuel all the time in the mail, but if it is a concern then electric would be fine. Once mail arrives in theater, it is broken down by location and sent by different means. The remote base I am at gets most of its mail trucked in. It is amazing what you see ship thru the mail- all legal- really.

Will check frequency management. I have to be really careful with this topic, so don't mean to be vague when I answer later on. I am just going to double check what our UAV, hand launched operates on to be sure. Also USA frequencies, FAA rules, are a lot different than over here, but will double check. Also the base I am on- it is so remote- it is not really even that big an issue.

Hopefully I will be able to take some pictures tomorrow of the area where we will be flying, so everyone can see the lack of objects that grab planes, and just a few of us waving. It might take a day to upload, but we will do our best.

I just want to thank everyone for even taking the time to check the forum, let alone all the support. I have been showing some of the guys the postings, and we all can't believe the support, and sort of feel a little guilty for even asking.

I can't thank everyone enough.

I will try to answer some of the questions tonight.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.