Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Agriculture Aircraft (Crop Dusters)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Agriculture Aircraft (Crop Dusters)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:29 AM
hnesitd1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agriculture Aircraft (Crop Dusters)

Gentlemen - Can anyone give me any details // This is the info that I have......the aircraft was a large cropduster.......monoplane, radial engine (1000 hp?), product hopper was around 600 gallons, most likely Eastern European (slavic?). I understand that it might still be used today but most probably, a rare bird. I first saw one of these planes in action several years ago while visiting the Canadian Prairie.......on the ground the impression was that it was the largest crop duster that I'd ever seen. I'm gathering info for a future project. Thanks in advance......
Old 04-24-2004, 07:33 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Agriculture Aircraft (Crop Dusters)

Well, here's two possibilities. WSK-PZL Mielec M-18 Dromader, or PZL-Warszawa PZL-106 Kruk. Both Polish made with radial engines. The Dromader is the larger of the two with a 17.7m wingspan. The Kruk has funny swept back wings and a mid-mounted (almost a Tee) tail. Try a google search and you might get some pictures.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:01 AM
hnesitd1

Thanks Von.............the Dromader is the aircraft that I was trying to identify. I can tell you that the pictures do not do it justice. Watching it work the fields was like a ballet; reminded me of the A10, ground attack aircraft (Warthog), ie, zero altitude, tight turns, steep(!) climbs, etc. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:52 AM
vonJaerschky

No problem. I can tell you that having been lucky enough to be "Passenger" on both an F-18 and a Fletcher FU-24 crop duster, the crop duster beat the F-18 ride hands down. Those crop duster pilots are amazing.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Yakumo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U probebly didn do a 1.5 hour dog fight and bom dropping on a range comming in at low alt.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:58 AM
vonJaerschky

You are correct, just some ACM. But the cropduster - this happend while I was living in New Zealand. The "Runway" was just a patch of grass with cows on it on the side of a mountain. It sloped at about 15 Degrees. Takeoff was downhill over a cliff, which the pilot preferred because the aircraft was grossly overoaded with super phosphate fertilizer anyway. Then down the valley, under the power lines, over the sheep, and drop the load on some grass on the side of a mountain. Amazing, simply amazing.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:29 AM
hnesitd1

I'm sure both you boys have some stories to tell. I'm not a pilot but I think I can appreciate the danger of flying low, slow and with an overloaded aircraft......seems to me that engine failure that low would be somewhat serious. You mentioned about flying under the powerlines? I witnessed that and figured that it must have been an emergency maneuver....not so, it was part of the intended plan. The plane I saw had some kind of wire cutter rigged in the cockpit??? I suppose the idea was that the wire cutter would prevent pilot decapitation.......talk about the eternal optimist! I'm sure that anyone who witnesses these aircraft at work would fall in love with them.........these guys are the present day, barnstormers of old!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
19Patrick83

Hi guys! After one year of hard work I'm happy to show you the successful test flight of PZL Dromader 1:5 Scale with our PRM 150cc 7cylinder radial engine.

Excuse me for video angle... that's my phone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMYL_bVhpwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3vpnyB130