Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

She Flew!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She Flew!

My Bashed and scaled out Discontinued .60 Great Planes Fokker DR1 flew. What was really wild is my DR1 handled like the full sized version.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...mpage_6/tm.htm

I came to you scale guys looking for idea's and asked for help and you've all been there for me. I like to thank you all for the support, encouragement, and a few tricks you showed me to make the plane more realistic. Now it will be time to Bash a BUSA Fokker DVIII next, but I have 2 seaplanes on my table now, and one seaplane I have to Bash this winter by adding retracts to make it a true amphibian. Not scale, but just a lot of fun to fly and to experiment on.

Pete
Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: She Flew!

It's tail heavy Pete. Mitch
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: She Flew!

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

It's tail heavy Pete. Mitch

If she was tail heavy the nose of the craft wouldn't have dropped when I cut the throttle. If you look at the video about half way you can see that I finally trimmed her out and she flew level.

Most all scale DR1's you use the throttle along with the flight controls to get her to fly the way you want it. The plane is a little on the heavy side because of all the repair, filler, rubber tires, Solartex and all the details that were added. The pilot bust has a servo in it, so we can add a few ounces there.

The plane is ballanced perfectly, it didn't take much trim to make her flyable. The biggest problem I had was the wind. You can plainly hear it in the video. Don't forget the plane calls for a .46-.60 or .75-.90FS. I have a O.S. 91FX ts in it. Way more power than I need, but is good to have just in case I need it. And the engine is heavy enough to keep her slightly nose heavy at the recommended CG.

So no it's not tail heavy even though it might look like it. Also I'm learning all over how to fly. It doesn't fly like my other planes and landing is fun. No wonder us DR1 pilots have our own little comradery going on. Nothing beats the looks or profile, and the Fokker DR1 is a handful to fly.

That's one of the reasons why I believe that Manfred Richthofen was still alive when his plane landed in the field after being shot. There is no way the Fokker DR1 could have landed by itself. So I believe that the report of him being alive and saying "It is finished" to the guy who found him sounds logical.

Pete