Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How to build dummy ww1 1/3 spandau guns

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

How to build dummy ww1 1/3 spandau guns

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
TKFOKKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to build dummy ww1 1/3 spandau guns

Wow John!
It's a beauty for sure. Must be a blast to fly. First in the states for that kit right? Nice job.
TK
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Canuck1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John

Love the Albatros............looks so cool.

Those guns look good TK, I will be doing a set of those for my DR1. Your pics are a great help.
Thanks for posting.

Craig
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TKFOKKER

And the end result.
Thanks for looking.
TK
Thanks for posting all those pictures! It's a real inspiration!

Jim
Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 AM
TKFOKKER

Jim
Your so welcome, And thankyou for responding.
I very much enjoy sharing my hobby with others. I have been one of the lucky ones to be able to build half decent and see things in my mind of how they work. I also rely on a lot of full scale research. This is what makes a better model builder. I enjoy recording all my work with pictures, that way when I forget how I did something years later I can always go back and refresh my mind on a build. Plus it's fun to see your airplanes come together and be finished. When I see questions come up on RCU such as the gun builds I very much enjoy showing my ideas as I love very much watching others. And who have taught me quite a bit I must say. There are alot of very talented builders out there who I wish would show there builds more often. Back in the early 80's we did not have these ways of comunicating or sharing our builds as we do today. I relied on magazine articles , documentation services, and full scale aircraft to learn from. I have to admit I actually used to fly to Ca, and Arizona just to measure and take photo's of planes I was building. Now with the invention of these computers we can sit at home sipping hot coffee and research anything we wish too. Todays model builders have it much easier, espeacially when you have people like GTM making those beautiful kits. All the hard work is done. I had to scratch build everything. So yes when it comes to sharing a build of any kind. We learn from each other, we make new friends we might never get to meet, we comunicate with something we all enjoy and love to do.
Thankyou
TK
Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: TKFOKKER
I also rely on a lot of full scale research. This is what makes a better model builder.
I've always believed that great modeling starts with great research. You can't model what you can't see...or haven't taken the trouble to see. A perfect example of this is that little spring you have holding on the shell ejection chute. How many of us have bothered to look closely enough at scale references to see that detail?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

Nice clear photo sequence Tom, thanks. It makes scratch building your own a whole lot easier to see the parts, apart, and then assembled sequentially.

Yes, modelling has changed a lot since the 8os. Back then, competitions were the best way to find out what others were doing and how they were doing it. I can remember how excited I was to see Dave Boddington's Scale Aircraft Quarterly started up.

Martin
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Thanks for looking. "

Thank YOU for posting. I once wanted to do a pair (much smaller), and bought up all the available information I could find, including Arizona Modelers, and Graham Hill design for a full scale replica, and none of them showed the spring that you used. Arizona Modelers were such garbage, that I threw them away, and designed my own, and had the laser cutting done my by Monzano.

Les
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Canuck1

TK

What did you use to seal the wood on the barrel jackets?
Those guns look awesome, I have ordered 2 for my DR1.
Your pics will be a great reference.

Craig
Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I every time I read this thread I am tempted to build a full scale gun, just to hang on the wall !
Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

BUSA used to sell a full scale kit for the Spandau, dont know if they still do or not
Doc
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM
abufletcher

Spandau and Spandex. You know they go together!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59788.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1690459  
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My heart is beating just a bit faster now....

... OK, a lot faster :-)

Bob
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 PM
TKFOKKER

Craig
I use thin or medium zap glue to seal all my woods. Just use your finger, rub it in. Than peal off the glue from your finger when your done. I've been doing it that way for 30 years. Works great!
TK
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Canuck1

TK, thanks for the reply.

Thats a great idea. I am use to removing glue from my fingers
I also noticed in your pictures it looks as if you used metal for the gun covers. Did you use lithoplate or styrene plastic.
I have used styrene plasic over balsa before and after sanding it looks like metal.

Yes a full scale gun, maybe her as well in the basement, holding it, would never get any work done [8D]

Craig
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 AM
mR JoLLy

A recent project I have undertaken is to produce the guns with SLS 3D printer. The results are good enough for me

Name:	IMG_8058a.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	1936751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8061a.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	1936752  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 AM
TKFOKKER

Dear Lord that looks like a real cockpit!!!!!!!!!
Very nice!
TK
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 AM
kwblake

I had to look a couple of times.
Talent!!!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 PM
ARUP

I have used Flightlinegraphics.com for some projects. You will NOT be disappointed as evidence above shows!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 PM
mR JoLLy

You are all very kind indeed. I suppose the elastic band on the control column kills the shot doesn't it

The dials and the tube knuckle joints were all printed in Nylon by SLS. Extrusion printers can't touch this method for detail nor strength, The only problem is the porous surface of the print and an effect called "peel" which has to me managed for best results.

Dexterity has moved from the lathe to the keyboard for some modelling on a permanent basis for me as a result of these trials.

All good fun

Name:	Spandau Gun08-04e.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	1936934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spandau Gun08-04d.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	1936935  

Last edited by mR JoLLy; 11-05-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:49 AM
abufletcher

Brings new meaning to the phrase "builder of the model!" I imagine that in the future scale model documentation will require all the appropriate CAD/3D files. By the way, are those Teus' wonderful turnbuckles I see on the side of the cockpit?

Last edited by abufletcher; 11-06-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 AM
mR JoLLy

I absolutely agree with you. 3D printing has been about for many years but is just becoming popular with the hobby market. Soon there will be far better machines on the market for the home user that will take things further forward. The Form 1 SLA printer is one example of the progression, but currently not the solution.

I see skills with the lathe, but there are also skills with to making the 3D models in software. I started teaching myself in April this year and it takes some getting used to but not impossible. Like any new technology we have to embrace it and manage it. I can remember when the first glass fuselages were first sold many years ago and people said that it was cheating, now they are common place and accepted in competition.

I have no problem with 3D printed parts in models for competition as long as the builder sat at the computer and created the parts themselves, but that would be for the aircraft structure/detail only. However, accessories like guns, dials, compass, etc, are all part of the embellishment of the model and I can see these being accepted readily as they can be purchased now in other formats (wood/resin/cast). We are seeing 3D printed pilots on the market and there does not seem to be too big a problem from what I have seen.

I have used 3D printing technology to draw up the radiator on my D.VII because of the difficulty accommodating the flywheel within the structure of the radiator itself. This is where I would agree it is controversial as it is part of the model structure, but then again, if anyone thinks it is easy or cheap should have a go themselves ;-\

And yes those turnbuckles are from my good friend Teus. Well spotted that man!

Name:	D.VII.Radiator_Final_03.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	917.6 KB
ID:	1936942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8068a.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	1936943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8069a.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	1936944  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 AM
abufletcher

I can't disagree with anything you say (much as little voices inside my head want to). 3D printed parts are the future, whether the modeler "sculpts" them himself or buys them from someone else. And once 3D printer mature and we all have one at home, I imagine there will be a nice market for 3D files one can print at home. You radiator looks awesome! How do the materials hold up to heat?

And I certainly appreciate how much scale research goes into producing a single 3D part. That's almost the most mind-boggling part. Somehow though I'll always hold a special place in my modeler's heart for guys like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tgMmfIJXu4 P.S. I also have a set of Teus' turnbuckles waiting for an appropriate model.

Last edited by abufletcher; 11-06-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 AM
mR JoLLy

Yes I have seen his work before . . . truly amazing stuff.

The nylon is good to about 150° and should be OK. That's part of the fun experimenting like this haha!