Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Which engine for 1/3 pup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Which engine for 1/3 pup

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine for 1/3 pup

My 1/3 pup is about ready to set up and cover but I'm not sure which engine to use. I was originally going with a dle55 and adding nose weight, afraid it will be underpowered. Then I thought why not a dle111 and no weight. I know thats overkill. Then theres the da85 which has the "da" price tag. I'm not really a fan of zenoah engines either. I will buy either one new. I like the 55 idea and I dont want to rip the plane apart with the 111. Ive only seen videos of the 1/3 scale fly, mostly with g62s and they look scary underpowered. I'm not dogging any make of engine here, just looking for input. Thanks

Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
valleyk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which engine for 1/3 pup

If your plane is under 29 lbs with engine and your flying around sea level a G-62 is a good choice and is cheap. I've seen a lot of pups fly with this power plant. I think the dle 55 is just as powerfull and will do fine with added nose weight. I have a da 100 in my 1/3 gtm fokker and not to worry about ripping the plane apart. In fact twins have less vibration. If you have around 800 dollars I would choose the dle 111 or a used da 100 which i bought  for $750. Twins sound nice and you can swing big prop that is more scale. Don't get those gear reduction units cost an arm and a leg for not much more power.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

My 1/3 pup is about ready to set up and cover but I'm not sure which engine to use. I was originally going with a dle55 and adding nose weight, afraid it will be underpowered. Then I thought why not a dle111 and no weight. I know thats overkill. Then theres the da85 which has the ''da'' price tag. I'm not really a fan of zenoah engines either. I will buy either one new. I like the 55 idea and I dont want to rip the plane apart with the 111. Ive only seen videos of the 1/3 scale fly, mostly with g62s and they look scary underpowered. I'm not dogging any make of engine here, just looking for input. Thanks

I have had this airplane with a G-62 and a 95cc engine. The 62 will fly the heck out of it, as long as it is not loaded down with weight from extras you put on it. If it comes out between 25 to 30lbs, you will have no problems at all. I consider the dle 55 and the 62 about equal.

I did eventually put a smoke system in it and added a paint ball gun system for sound. This and other stuff put the weight around 43lbs. The 62 still pulled it but it took some airspeed to make it through a loop. The 95cc fixed the additional weight problem but I did have the occational wire break due to having more weight and more power. It made for exciting landings! The dle 111 would be nicer, since you could swing a prop that would come closer to scale but you MUST be mindfull of the G-load you put on the frame with that engine.

If it were my plane, I would go with the 111 and overprop it a little. You could swing a big prop and it would reduce the power a little. It's much better to hear an airplane that is chugging along on 1/4 throttle from a big engine, versus a smaller engine whining at a high rpm..... my opinion of coarse.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Joe Westrich

My 1/3 pup is about ready to set up and cover but I'm not sure which engine to use. I was originally going with a dle55 and adding nose weight, afraid it will be underpowered. Then I thought why not a dle111 and no weight. I know thats overkill. Then theres the da85 which has the ''da'' price tag. I'm not really a fan of zenoah engines either. I will buy either one new. I like the 55 idea and I dont want to rip the plane apart with the 111. Ive only seen videos of the 1/3 scale fly, mostly with g62s and they look scary underpowered. I'm not dogging any make of engine here, just looking for input. Thanks

I have had this airplane with a G-62 and a 95cc engine. The 62 will fly the heck out of it, as long as it is not loaded down with weight from extras you put on it. If it comes out between 25 to 30lbs, you will have no problems at all. I consider the dle 55 and the 62 about equal.

I did eventually put a smoke system in it and added a paint ball gun system for sound. This and other stuff put the weight around 43lbs. The 62 still pulled it but it took some airspeed to make it through a loop. The 95cc fixed the additional weight problem but I did have the occational wire break due to having more weight and more power. It made for exciting landings! The dle 111 would be nicer, since you could swing a prop that would come closer to scale but you MUST be mindfull of the G-load you put on the frame with that engine.

If it were my plane, I would go with the 111 and overprop it a little. You could swing a big prop and it would reduce the power a little. It's much better to hear an airplane that is chugging along on 1/4 throttle from a big engine, versus a smaller engine whining at a high rpm..... my opinion of coarse.
I have a Balsa USA 1/3 Fokker DVII with a paintball gun that weighs in at 42lbs and have a DA85 in it using a 26x10 Zoar and a Vess 26B . It can pull a loop from straight and level at 3/4 throttle. The DA85 has run very well for the past 4 years without any problems and yes they are more expensive than others but you get what you pay for which is power and relibility. Just thought I would give you my thoughts and past experience with the DA motors.
DougB1
Old 02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
eagledancer

flew one for years with a g-62 at 37 lbs, plenty of power. i was at 1000 ft altitude at the time. if your in the mountains you may want a 85. 100 is overkill you will want to beef up the airframe alot.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have flown a 35 lbs pup with a 3.7 Sachs mag engine with a 24x10 prop and it flew great - capable of rolling circles and lots of other aerobatics........altitude here in Indiana is about 750 feet above sea level.

I also flew a 37 lbs pup with a G 62 (mag) also w/24x10 prop....also flew great, but not quite as strong as the other one. I go to a fly in in the Ozarks where the altitude is about 1700 feet and the power is affected somewhat, but it doesn't struggle at all. I also flew this same pup with a Zenoah 445 (74cc) twin (same prop). I liked the extra power a lot. For scale flying a G62 or equivilent (DLE 55) is fine, but for spirited dog fighting a bigger engine is loads more fun.

I say go for the extra power, up to an 80 twin or an 80 or 85 single - but would not recommend a 100 cc twin or larger. Just my 2 cents worth......Art
Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 AM
mogman

Mine is 32 lbs, G62, 24/8 plenty of power. Does loops just fine, need to push the nose down first, (scale). A pup needs a heavy motor up front, even with a G62, mine has about 2 or 3 lbs. of ballast (can't remember the exact amount). More power doesn't really do you much good, it will only go so fast with all the drag from 4 wings and all the flying wires. All the new engines are pretty lightweight, so more balance weight needed.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Highflyer2
My Feedback: (1)

Another option to consider is a belt drive on a G62. Check out the Mick Reeves site. You will be able to swing a 30x12 prop at about 4200rpm. Tons of torque and power.

John
Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Mine is around 40lbs & flies well with the GT-80 & a 26x8 prop. I've been very pleased with the Zenoah, but my needs are simple. I think the G62 would have enough power for my Pup as well, but I went with the twin since they run smoother & I wanted the extra displacement for reserve power. I wouldn't go smaller than the G62 since you're not done building the plane yet & you don't know for sure that you'll end up super-light weight.
Greg
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM
misterbill
My Feedback: (2)

Mine has a G62, and the Pup is a heavy one at 40lbs. No shortage of power, does every manoeuvre the full size did with ease. Never got the sense ever from it that it was lacking in power - all you have to do is calculate the wing loading on it (way less than 20oz. if I remember correctly), plus the super lift from the undercambered wings, and if there wasn't all the drag it would be a glider!

Cheers,
Mike