Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, WB550 @ Canada's National Air Force Museum

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, WB550 @ Canada's National Air Force Museum

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, WB550 @ Canada's National Air Force Museum

Hi!
I am in the process of assembling a Black Horse semi-scale model of a DHC Chipmunk and would like to reproduce the markings of WB550 at Canada's National Air Force Museum. Unfortunately I can not find any close-up photographs of the squadron insignia on the fuselagee side below the cockpit and the markings on the engine cowl below the flags. I would very much appreciate if someone could help me out with pictures of these markings.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
KC5EZZ
My Feedback: (104)

Default RE: DHC-1 Chipmunk T10, WB550 @ Canada's National Air Force Museum

Here's a start. I have a walk around on a couple of Chipmunks I found at Oshkosh in 2010. If you are needing more views or more detail of these let me know and I can send the originals to you. I think these will be the same as some of the insignias you are needing. I too have a BH Chipmunk that someday I hope to get to. Be sure and get some photos of yours when completed for us to see.

Regards

Charlie Campbell

Added pics of Cowling email if you need more detail on these.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64997.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1730852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78571.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1730853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46626.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1730854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo34955.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1730855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42857.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1730856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85254.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1730857   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42593.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1730858  
Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my BH Chipmunk in action. I really only bought it as a test platform for my RCV91cd that I plan to use on an Albatros CI. But I learned to really love the way the model flies. In short, it flies like a trainer...a REAL trainer...one that's designed to TRAIN you how to fly. It really encourages you to use rudder (and flies a bit like a Cub). And when you put the flaps down, it requires some down elevator and you really have to "fly" to keep it in the air. All in all, a great model...but not very scale.

Eventually though, after at least a hundred flights, the landing gear wires got sort of mushy and no matter how soft I put it down, the prop would strike and eventually the gear tore out the bottom of one of the wings. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to rebuild it since I need the engine for another model. For a while I even considered buying another one just to have as "backup" (since it's really quite a bargain). But in the end, I decided that maybe my ARF days are behind me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43227.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	496.3 KB
ID:	1730896  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The Trenton museum is one of the few that I have not been to yet. You might try to post on RCCanada and see if anyone lives nearby that could take some photos for you....
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Red B.

Thank you guys!
Even though the pictures from Charlie are depicting WP833 and not WB500, the same names appear on the fuselage side, i.e., "Eng Mr D Gill" and "Sqn Ldr W Purchase". Unfortunately, the squadron insignia below the cockpit appear to be different. I enclose the best image I could find of this insigna, maybe someone will recognize it. Also the markings on the cowling remains to be identified.

I will try posting a question on the RCCanada forum.

Abufletcher, thank you for letting me know about the performance of the BH Chipmunk. What you describe is exactly what I am looking for. I will look into the undercarriage issue, and possibly do some strengthening in that area.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Red B.
I will look into the undercarriage issue, and possibly do some strengthening in that area.
Actually, I DID strengthen the area where the music wires attach...and that was the downfall! I had noticed that the legs were wobbling around in the mounting blocks so I added some support and epoxied everything firmly in place. So no wobble. But since there was no give on the legs, instead it torn the entire bottom sheeting off the wing.

I'm not really sure what the problem was. It got to the point that I would have to rebend the landing gear wires after every single landing (and every single landing ended in a nose-over). But it just kept flying and so I just kept rebending the wires. I thought about making new gear wires from 5mm music wire. I think the ones provided with the ARF are maybe 4mm.

I'll also add that landing with full flaps never worked for me. The model would always drop out of the sky at the last moment. So I usually did landings on the 1/2 flaps setting. You can take-off and land just fine without flaps but it's more scale (and more fun) to use the flaps.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
DaveB

I would suggest looking at the website www.airliners.net

Search Dehavilland Chipmunk and you will find many full scale pics.

DaveB
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: DaveB

I would suggest looking at the website www.airliners.net

Search Dehavilland Chipmunk and you will find many full scale pics.

DaveB
I have done that, but unfortunately I have found no pictures of WB550 with sufficient detail to reproduce the badges.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Wayne22

I'm heading to Toronto on a business trip right now..If I get some time (questionable at this point..) I'll try to make my way up to Trenton and get some pics for you.....
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Wayne22

sorry, it is not going to happen................waaay too busy.
Perhaps contact the museum and see if they can help you........